Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

SDA when zoning would work if i had the time to zone in the evening... between pushing milk, pouring milk down the drain and not to metion pushing truck push for 3 to 4 hours a day, that is alll I do anymore on a closing shift... besides 30 minutues to qmos bagged salads and meat !!!!!!!

please oh please,,,, we need all the help in pfresh we can get.

Flow team put more people on the truck day, you know produce is part of the truck and is still logistics responsiblity to get done !!

You know the Grocery department will keep Target a float for the next serveral months, the sales will come from prfeash... as long as we get the truck pushed, damn it logistics ETL do your job !!

I feel your pain. I wanted to cry I left my closer with so much to do today. There is so much drama/lack of accountability with our entire logistics team that it's all got to blow up here soon. And we have some sort of big food visit coming up soon. So it's a great time. Seriously almost cried in the coolers today. Although that may have been from a box hitting me on the ear...

I'm just very done with drama and want the trucks to go smoother and get done ON truck day. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

So big question everyone: I'm curious about the truck process at other stores. Who runs your truck? How many people (on average) & how long are they there to work on the truck? Does someone backstock as the truck is being pushed?

I ask because even though the store has been open for almost a year now, we are still struggling. We have now completely re-vamped our PA rotation and figured out how to have certain people regularly running the truck (my CTL being one of them). But it doesn't change the fact that we typically have about 5 people scheduled to push our trucks. We'll have a few people that are in at 6 am and done at 10, and a few more in at 7 and done at 11. Our trucks normally arrive anywhere from 6-6:30. We almost never have anyone scheduled to backstock, so it just piles up and sits there.
Our trucks can be anywhere from 9-15 pallets of products (our Saturday trucks are usually 12-15). Yet even during the week, it's a struggle for them to just get through freezer & dairy. I think the last time we actually even got to produce before everyone left was a day we had a PA scheduled to push truck and they just left the rest of the team & jumped into produce. 99.9% of the time, the PA's get left with the produce that we get to push ourselves in addition to our normal daily routine. Yesterday, I was statusing with the ETL Log (the LOD) about the status of the truck and told him I wouldn't get to produce before I left (had other responsibilities to do, including the order). They responded with "Oh well PA Bob can push it, they don't mind doing that, right?" I looked right at the ETL and said "We push it because we don't really have much of a choice in the matter." He was a little taken aback and stammered back "Well...I mean I know you guys have your routines and stuff...uh...uhhh" and at that point I walked out of TSC and went back to what I need to do.

Yes, we push produce. No we don't often complain. But when we have to take several hours to push truck, it takes time out of our routine. We are trying to get a good cleaning schedule going. Trying to get back to zoning pfresh (hadn't really been happening lately). And with pushing truck it's either push more truck or get routines done.

So just wondering if other stores have the same issues.
(Sorry for the rant there)

Our truck process wasn't too bad in the beginning, but hour cuts are going to complicate things.

We have about 7-9 people from flow who push the food truck, with one of the more trusted and responsible flow TMs captaining the process. I think they're schedule 4-5 hours now, if I remember correctly. I usually push bananas, and anything else that comes in on the ambient pallet, since bananas are usually needed right away on the floor when they come. Our trucks have been anywhere from 5-10 pallets before. We have a small Pfresh (we only have the two open coolers on each side, and then about 12 doors of cooler product, and 6 isles of freezer), so they usually bowl a little bit of a pallet at a time and each person has their section that they usually work on. The store I trained at actually broke their pallets down onto flats according to isles and sections (frozen veggies, ice cream, etc) similar to how the upcoming FDC process is going to work, which I thought was pretty neat, but the only issue with that was by the time everything got separated onto flats, your half hour was up. We handle produce and meat a bit differently. Our two backroom food gurus will shoot an EXF for any outs or low product on the floor, then they'll add anything that came in on the truck that is needed on the floor and has no backroom locations to the pulled batch, and then the team will push that instead of working out the pallet. That way old product is getting pushed before the new product. It's a little more work in the end, but its one of those things that is worth the extra effort. I think it also works for us because we are such a small store as well.

Tight payroll is already taking it's toll on things though. Pallets are starting to roll over until the next day to get pushed. And if the truck is four hours late like it was today... forget about it.

Gotcha. Yeah we are a store that breaks down the pallets in the back & brings it out to the floor. If you have the right people doing it, it shouldn't take half an hour. Ambient & meat are ALWAYS done by the PAs at my store. Ambient because, well hell it's easy and we can do it quick. Meat because we don't always trust that some people know how to read & be able to correctly put meat on the right shelf. We have a constant problem of people thinking ham is fresh cut meat, not pre-cooked. It's great.
If we had 7-9 people, we would be great. We usually get like 5-7. Couldn't even tell you the last time they touched a produce pallet.

I have three people to push and backstock my food truck.

Does it usually come clean? I think that's my biggest thing, I want the truck to actually at least come close to clean. Today I know they let someone stay there all day instead of switching to another work center and all but a few flats of produce got done. So a good day in my book. However, if that person had not stayed, there would be pallets of produce left.

Our food trucks come clean just about every day. We are a volume C pfresh store, I believe. We get 3 trucks a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. They are usually between 6-8 pallets and come between 4 and 5:30 am. Our flow team are the ones responsible for truck, and I lead the small "sub-team" of about 5 flow teamers in doing so. When the truck comes we stage our produce and freezer pallets in the coolers and freezer while we sort dairy onto flats. We sort it into yogurt, juice & milk, meat, and cheese(along with the other random things like bagels, jello, cookie dough, etc.) Then we put the flats in the dairy cooler while we pull out produce to the floor. One team member scans each individual item to see if there are backroom locations. If there are, they send it over to someone who is b-coding for backstock. If not they bowl it out to be pushed by the rest of the team. So 1 sorts, 1 b-codes, everyone else pushes. When the sorter is done, they usually take back the bananas and bring out our freezer pallets. At just about that time the produce push is done, and everyone jumps over and bowls out all of freezer. We used to sort it like dairy, but we found that we push it much faster, and within the limits, if we bowl it out first. If it is really big, we won't bring out all the pallets to bowl, just 1 or 2 at a time. Or we may put all the bakery stuff on a flat and take it back to the freezer to do later. After freezer is finished, we move on to meat. All of the fresh meat is sorted just like produce and everything else is bowled out. My goal is to usually have produce, freezer, and meat finished when the store opens at 8. After meat is done someone breaks off to start backstocking and the rest of us move on to juice, followed by yogurt and cheese (and maybe bakery if we skipped it). The truck is usually all pushed by 9 or 9:30. Then I go to lunch and come back and jump in with backstocking. Backstock is usually done by the time I leave at 12:30. We do get some help from time to time. We have an incredible PA at my store, who will sometimes jump in and backstock the ambient room even when they aren't scheduled for the truck. We also usually get a huddle project for pushing freezer if the truck is unusually huge or is 3 hours late (a somewhat regular occurrence with C&S). But for the most part, we are left alone. My flow TL uses it as kind of a training ground for potential TL's. Everyone who led the food truck process before me is either a TL now, or graduated and got a job in their field. I just got signed off by our DTL a month or so ago. All in all, we have a decent food truck procedure going.

Sounds like a great process. We can't bowl out much as our trucks arrive between 6&7 am most of the time. We will see how having consistent leadership in running the trucks helps. Who knows...just a process of trial and error it seems.
I feel like we always leave produce because it's easier for us as PAs to push out than dairy or freezer if it doesn't all get done.

With the new FDC, I think our truck arrival time is moving to 6, so I'm sure we'll have to switch things up. Probably have to sort freezer onto flats again.

Does it usually come clean? I think that's my biggest thing, I want the truck to actually at least come close to clean. Today I know they let someone stay there all day instead of switching to another work center and all but a few flats of produce got done. So a good day in my book. However, if that person had not stayed, there would be pallets of produce left.
Surprisingly we usually come clean. Some days there might be some backstock leftover, but they usually get everything done. Lately they have been pushed out the door, so we had a freezer pallet left over from every truck.

And I wouldn't complain at all if I had your market coverage. I'm given enough hours to schedule my PAs 6-130 each day. That's it. There is no coverage after 4 except for the night I close. I get 80hrs/week for market in a B volume PFresh. It's awful in my store. We need new leadership for all but one ETL. I feel so bad for that one too, because try so hard to do their job and push store initiatives. They just get no support from the rest of the execs including the STL. They have all got to ship up or shape out.

Surprisingly we usually come clean. Some days there might be some backstock leftover, but they usually get everything done. Lately they have been pushed out the door, so we had a freezer pallet left over from every truck.

And I wouldn't complain at all if I had your market coverage. I'm given enough hours to schedule my PAs 6-130 each day. That's it. There is no coverage after 4 except for the night I close. I get 80hrs/week for market in a B volume PFresh. It's awful in my store. We need new leadership for all but one ETL. I feel so bad for that one too, because try so hard to do their job and push store initiatives. They just get no support from the rest of the execs including the STL. They have all got to ship up or shape out.

Ouch. So sorry to hear that. I definitely don't complain about our coverage. And hopefully things will be getting better with our new process that's gonna start soon. I actually had one of my really good days today. Got a lot done.

Anyone else have some sad looking aisles that are waiting to be re-set? It seems like they axed a lot of yogurt and we got a lot of new stuff in, so that area has been looking pretty pathetic laately.

The dairy transition is next week, so it should look a lot better then. Most of my dairy aisles look awful. And there's not much to flex in the back.

Green steritech visit today :D

Totally taking some credit since the hardest working PA opened yesterday and I closed, we worked our butts off even though the closing LOD (a Sr TL who's our new plano TL) was complaining about the fact that I didn't have time to zone the entirety of dry market by myself.

Green steritech visit today :D

Totally taking some credit since the hardest working PA opened yesterday and I closed, we worked our butts off even though the closing LOD (a Sr TL who's our new plano TL) was complaining about the fact that I didn't have time to zone the entirety of dry market by myself.

Think you folks will get recognized at the huddle for the green visit?
After all, that is the least they can do.

I doubt it, they'll probably just say great job team instead of actually breaking it down into the market TM/PA who had everything cleaned and GTG this morning, our SFT and a few of the GSTLs who are primarily the ones responsible for keeping everything that was checked up to spec.

The dairy transition is next week, so it should look a lot better then. Most of my dairy aisles look awful. And there's not much to flex in the back.

The only dairy aisle of ours that looked awful was yogurt/juice. The cheese & lunchmeat aisles have some holes but half the yogurt aisle was empty. And we had actually gotten some in so I said eff it, can't sell it if it's in the back and people complain at half empty aisles. So I made it look full as best as I could.

I'm eager to see what the transition brings. The clearance deals were awesome, but I am going to miss the International Delight iced coffees. :( Our yogurt section has been such an eyesore for the past week now.

ok, I'm a PA and I thought we were told that we get around 35-40 hrs/ week. Well, the new schedule that starts on Feb. 2nd my hours are cut to 32 hours !! That is just rediculous for Target to do this to the few PAs at our store. Now, we will have no PA from 2:30 till 5:30 pm everyday. Even on weekends and even on truck day. hmm. so Saturdays truck is not finished and the opener PA goes home at 2:30, I come in at 5:30 and they leave me
Regular Milk, 3 pallets of Produce and specialty Milk. There sure is gonna be a lot of outs in Produce and Milk on ALL Truck DAYS !!!!!!!!

Thanks HR and Target you sure know how to chase the guests away.

ok, I'm a PA and I thought we were told that we get around 35-40 hrs/ week. Well, the new schedule that starts on Feb. 2nd my hours are cut to 32 hours !! That is just rediculous for Target to do this to the few PAs at our store. Now, we will have no PA from 2:30 till 5:30 pm everyday. Even on weekends and even on truck day. hmm. so Saturdays truck is not finished and the opener PA goes home at 2:30, I come in at 5:30 and they leave me
Regular Milk, 3 pallets of Produce and specialty Milk. There sure is gonna be a lot of outs in Produce and Milk on ALL Truck DAYS !!!!!!!!
Thanks HR and Target you sure know how to chase the guests away.

Yeah it sucks. And the hours for logistics zone are drastically down too. Gonna have maybe like 4 people on our trucks that we can't even get done with 5-6 people.

Last edited:
Damn. And I thought our freezer was bad. How do they get the freezer CAFs done? Our truck may have a few metros backstocked ON truck day, but the rest just sits. Basically my CTL & ETL pitched enough fits that all we have to do is say "hey can we get someone to backstock please?" and someone will go backstock in the freezer or dairy cooler & clear off a metro or two. Better than nothing. We were clean in every cooler/freezer on backstock the night before we had some big visit but that's it.

Is it possible to push out what has been sitting for awhile since it will likely go out? as a backroom leader, my heart stopped when i saw those pictures. seriously, where is your DTL!?!?!?!?! if that was the hot mess i was walking into, here is what i would do...
start with the oldest that you can manage to get out of the freezer .( obviously it is going to be buried) push it, then backstock it so it is out of the way. at least it is located. just keep chipping away like that until you get caught up. will you have a team to help or will you do this by yourself? if you have another person helping, they should get the next oldest vehicle out, sort it quickly so the push will go faster and so on. dude, seriously, i would love to fly to your store to help with that. i had a fit when I saw half a green rack of backstock left over from tuesday and i am not even kidding! WOW!

Back