Archived Is your store asking about Thanksgiving already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't asked me shit yet. Little do they know I have an application in with another company. I may only be available Sundays 4-12 maximum :D

I was asked today. The only difference this year for a couple days, asked if I would work overnight. No was my response

Our STL has said that we'll be having black out days beginning on the first day of November through the first week of next year. Is this true?

Our STL has said that we'll be having black out days beginning on the first day of November through the first week of next year. Is this true?

Our blackout period goes from Halloween to the END of January so consider yourself lucky.

Haven't been asked about my availability, but there are a bunch of little posters in the break room about pay incentives for working all three major holidays coming up. I'm down for the time and a half, but we'll see how I feel about that when they shove ridiculous shifts my way.

Got asked the other day, but I need to meet with my TL to get it ironed out. My ride to work can't always make it to the store at 4 am, so I'll try and get on the 6 am truck and if that's not available cross train into a new workcenter. May be a non issue in the end as well.

Its up to individual leadership to set the blackout dates for your store. We dont do blackout dates.

I was asked seconds after I clocked in on Friday. Halfway through the 2nd week of November to the end of the year, I've got zero obligations. I did specify that as long as I was bribed with food and/or candy, I would gladly work the least desirable days and times. I was assured there would be plenty of food to go around most days, and HR did actually write down "candy" next to my name for a few specific times.

I'm pretty easy to bribe when it comes to picking up shifts.
Most of the time.

You just let me keep a candy cane tucked behind my ear or in my shirt collar for all of December, and I'm good to go.

I came in at 4pm last year to do online order picks all day and night. They didn't think to tell us doing it what the sales floor plans were, or where anything was, so we had to scramble to figure it out when people came demanding to know.

This year I've already volunteered to do it again, and am putting a bee in my ETL's bonnet about making sure the pickers are informed of what's going on...and having more than three doing it.

I came in at 4pm last year to do online order picks all day and night. They didn't think to tell us doing it what the sales floor plans were, or where anything was, so we had to scramble to figure it out when people came demanding to know.

This year I've already volunteered to do it again, and am putting a bee in my ETL's bonnet about making sure the pickers are informed of what's going on...and having more than three doing it.
If your store is getting SFS, you're gonna want a whole team of people in the store as early as possible.

The way they did it last year was orders kept flowing to stores on Thanksgiving, so when you came in in the late afternoon you had only a few hours to do an entire day's worth of orders.

We took probably half of the non doorbuster TVs and all of some small appliances and game consoles before the store even opened.

My etl ge she works with the people already on staff to create a schedule that work for us and the business needs she started asking us what our shedule and availability is and then I'm assuming the seasonal people will fill in the gaps that the regular to don't fill

Found out the other day that my store is closed until 8 PM on Thanksgiving, which is really great to hear considering I didn't exactly want to work right through dinner. But that means I'll probably be coming in at like a crazy ass time for BF

I was asked today because I can work Flow, FF, Backroom, and a new softlines thing that we're testing in our store. On Thanksgiving night I always work from 1/2 hour before store opening (crowd control), then a truck and they let me stay until I'm about to drop. I told her I need one weekday off for appointments, but other than that, I'm game. I've got 3 kids in college and can use the $$$$

Last edited:
I was asked today because I can work Flow, FF, Backroom, and a new softlines thing that we're testing in our store. On Thanksgiving night I always work from 1/2 hour before store opening (crowd control), then a truck and they let me stay until I'm about to drop. I told her I need one weekday off for appointments, but other than that, I'm game. I've got 3 kids in college and can use the $$$$

My condolences on tuition and expenses times 3!

They'll have a "Black Friday Week" where for the entire week leading up to Thanksgiving the store is open 24 hours with various deals to represent each day.

Shit, better not give corp any ideas.

They tried being open for the entire black Friday weekend. Burned way to much payroll to make the same sales as if they closed.

Oh yeah we tried that it didn't work so lets do more of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back