Archived Its been a hard day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
So its been a tough 4th quarter but its really only just begun. 1 more month! Another round of team members and another round of walking your ass off. Are you ready for thanksgiving night? Are you looking toward the opportunity of making a difference and improving or the obligation of just getting by? Lets get pumped up. We've got one of the most challenging jobs out there! Lets goo!!

uWjwY.gif

We've got one of the most challenging jobs out there! Lets goo!!
I hope this is sarcastic or you are around 16 years old. I've worked retail for 40 years in addition to having a career. Sorry.... you have no idea what a challenging job is. There is very little challenge to retail if you are doing it right unless you are in upper management or a corporate position.

I hope this is sarcastic or you are around 16 years old. I've worked retail for 40 years in addition to having a career. Sorry.... you have no idea what a challenging job is. There is very little challenge to retail if you are doing it right unless you are in upper management or a corporate position.
I could not disagree more, sir.

I was picking up my meds today and the pharmacist did the usual small talk of asking me how I was.
On saying I was okay, I asked the same of her and the look on her face told a lot of the story.
She said that people were probably just feeling stressed out from the holidays but there had been a lot of yelling and frustration today.
Working retail makes you the butt of folks misery when they can't get that HatchAnimal they promised their kid or are trying to do last minute shopping and can't find anything.
It's stressful in a way that being a teacher or a prison guard might recognize but doesn't have to put up with.

There are plenty of jobs that are more dangerous and more stressful but the in most cases the people doing them would prefer to do them than work retail.

Brain surgeon, special education teacher, NICU nurse, transportation engineer, fire fighter, police officer, armed forces general.... do I need to go on?

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Brain surgeon, special education teacher, NICU nurse, transportation engineer, fire fighter, police officer, armed forces general.... do I need to go on?

He didn't say THE most challenging job, he said ONE OF THE most challenging, there's a difference. It is very challenging dealing with people during this time of year as most don't act like human beings. No one is taking anything away from jobs like that, but at times like these retail is still crazy and stressful and on occasion can make you want to commit mass murder lol

It is very challenging dealing with people during this time of year as most don't act like human beings. No one is taking anything away from jobs like that, but at times like these retail is still crazy and stressful and on occasion can make you want to commit mass murder lol
I said the same thing to another TM when we were both about to lose our minds cause it was so insane yesterday lol

I was picking up my meds today and the pharmacist did the usual small talk of asking me how I was.
On saying I was okay, I asked the same of her and the look on her face told a lot of the story.
She said that people were probably just feeling stressed out from the holidays but there had been a lot of yelling and frustration today.
Working retail makes you the butt of folks misery when they can't get that HatchAnimal they promised their kid or are trying to do last minute shopping and can't find anything.
It's stressful in a way that being a teacher or a prison guard might recognize but doesn't have to put up with.

There are plenty of jobs that are more dangerous and more stressful but the in most cases the people doing them would prefer to do them than work retail.

You put it so well. Also people in really stressful jobs usually get paid well for it. Except for the ETLs and SrTLs on this site, most of us are not making "Bank"

Working for Spot (I haven't worked for another retailer) this time of year takes a tremendous amount of energy. At year x I realize I would rather invest that energy someplace more lucrative and more rewarding.

Today was surreal for me. Felt like a test of all I'd learned. I ended up just selling and pulling TVs and coordinating with backroom and cart attendant to get my job done in electronics. 930 team huddle in my department was the only reason my zone got cleaned.

I was often physically cutting out of one guest interaction to help with another, fielding phone calls while ringing someone out, answering a callbox while helping a guest with a redcard while giving yet another guest TV advice. And other guests just waiting for the Tm to bring out the TVs.

Never had this level of chaos and stress before. It was something else. But it's difficult, and breaks down even the most zen of TMs. My normally very laid back mid shift Tm in electronics started briefing me with "I want to set myself on fire." and I'd texted her on my first 15 saying "we need to drink."

It's definitely taxing and stressful.

Today was surreal for me. Felt like a test of all I'd learned. I ended up just selling and pulling TVs and coordinating with backroom and cart attendant to get my job done in electronics. 930 team huddle in my department was the only reason my zone got cleaned.

I was often physically cutting out of one guest interaction to help with another, fielding phone calls while ringing someone out, answering a callbox while helping a guest with a redcard while giving yet another guest TV advice. And other guests just waitiAnd ng for the Tm to bring out the TVs.

Never had this level of chaos and stress before. It was something else. But it's difficult, and breaks down even the most zen of TMs. My normally very laid back mid shift Tm in electronics started briefing me with "I want to set myself on fire." and I'd texted her on my first 15 saying "we need to drink."

It's definitely taxing and stressful.

And this is just a warm up for Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back