Archived keys. ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's another one for you....
Keys! Equipment control is huge in the stores. I know some stores assign the keys and have TSC write them out for you. Other stores go on the blind faith that you wrote the keys you took into the equipment log book and you're going to remember to log them back in.
So how is it that if you forget to actually turn in the keys... You bring them right back the same day. You don't get written up but some get fired? It's all the same...equipment control. Keys to the building, regardless of their department.

Depends on the importance of the keys to be perfectly honest. If I accidentally took home the Equipment keys, I might get a coaching. If I took home the GSTL keys, on the other hand, I'd be in huge doodoo. Also depends on how strict your leadership is about equipment control. We are fairly strict about it, but it doesn't usually get enforced very often.

Also, I know that a couple of our veteran Backroom team members have personal copies of the Wave key. Our old ETL-LOG had his own wave key, and he lent it to one of the TM's so that he could get a copy made, then the TM lent his out to the rest of the team so that they had their own copies. I haven't gotten my own yet, and I don't think I will unless I'm told to.

Definitely isn't Best Practices, but it's a serious problem when the sole BRTM isn't able to get a pair of keys.

In our store we sign out the keys and then sign them back in. For backroom people, the keys would just be passed off and the last person would be responsible for signing them back in. Not sure how strict they have been with that lately. I know that there is a handful of people who open backroom have our own copies of the Wave key, which is nice because we don't have to worry about checking them in and out everyday.

Also, I know that a couple of our veteran Backroom team members have personal copies of the Wave key. Our old ETL-LOG had his own wave key, and he lent it to one of the TM's so that he could get a copy made, then the TM lent his out to the rest of the team so that they had their own copies. I haven't gotten my own yet, and I don't think I will unless I'm told to.

Definitely isn't Best Practices, but it's a serious problem when the sole BRTM isn't able to get a pair of keys.

Most of our backroom TMs have their own equipment keys. Even a few non-backroom/non-leaders have a baler key (of course, those TMs have been certified). The only designated backroom key we have in our keybox is for the electronics stockroom.

When I first started in the backroom, it was a while before I got any keys. One time when I was pulling the CAFs alone, the last batch required use of a WAVe (because the pallet was stacked WAY too high to use a ladder safely). That batch ended up rolling because the damn LOD wouldn't come back to bring me a key, and the batch still would've rolled if I walked out to search for said LOD because huge batches. My TL was pissed and made sure I got a WAVe key ASAP.

Equipment control at my store? lololololol The only people who sign out keys are pretty much me, the backroom TL and maybe somebody from electronics. Hell, they don't always update the sign in/out sheet from day to day. Receiving keys went missing for a couple days after the weekend and were found in a freezer jacket; 99% sure that's because the GSTL was a dumbass who needed a wave key for some reason. The receiver doesn't have key to the baler or to crush the compactor while several flow TMs who have been here less than 2 years and only work 3-4 days a week somehow do.

Don't get me started on PDAs/iPods. AP only just recently started caring about that and all they'll do so far is throw away whatever clip we're using to prop the equipment door open.

We sign keys in and out ourselves and don't really have any issues with them going missing. The GSTL keys sometimes disappear but they always turn up eventually and I don't think anyone has been fired over it. Nobody even checks our key logs, we just have a pile of old sheets on top of the equipment cabinet.

Most backroom TMs have been given their own baler and wave key (our last ETL-LOG had a box of like 50 of them in his office), and we have a spare set hidden in the backroom for TMs that don't have their own.

The only time I've heard of someone getting fired for losing keys was the store closer dropping the keys in front of the door one night and didn't notice.

I always sign mine out but forget to sign them back in/over when I leave for the E&E closer xD as long as they're all accounted for at close my etl AP doesn't care. Although I did find just a bare key, not an S3, beneath the entertainment shelves on the sales floor once.

Our store was pretty firm but not too strict. TPS would look at the key log and make sure everything was accounted for, if he found something "missing" he would get on the walkie and ask who had the key.

The backroom opener signs out an electronics key/wave key, then we just pass it back and forth as necessary. Backroom closer hands it off to the LOD/overnight ETL. We just got a bunch of new wave keys because all of ours went missing. I'm going to start supergluing keyrings shut to keep people from taking keys off the ring. I have a few copies for myself. When my time with Spot comes to an end, I'll give them to BRTMs who have been/will be around for a while.

We had a test a couple years ago which fortunately they've let us keep. We have an automated box. Input your TM number and you'll be shown a list of keys that you're allowed to check out. Select one, and the box will unlock and allow you to take exactly that one. There's a fob on they keys that the box latches on to. When you're turning them in just put in your numbers again and wave the fob at the machine and the box will light up the hole the fob belongs in. It's awesome.

I have a copy of the Crown key if no other keys are available.

We had a test a couple years ago which fortunately they've let us keep. We have an automated box. Input your TM number and you'll be shown a list of keys that you're allowed to check out. Select one, and the box will unlock and allow you to take exactly that one. There's a fob on they keys that the box latches on to. When you're turning them in just put in your numbers again and wave the fob at the machine and the box will light up the hole the fob belongs in. It's awesome.

Holy shit that is awesome!

You can also look up who signed out the keys and when. I have no idea why they didn't decide to give everyone one.

Sounds like a good idea. So good they decided to not roll it out company wide. Figures.

We take our key process pretty seriously. A lot of team members don't realize the significance of keys being lost. Every key has a number on it that corresponds with a lock (door or showcase) with the same number. When a key goes missing every lock that matches that key must be replaced. It's a costly and long process. It's not a matter of simply replacing the key and moving on.

Master keys go missing means every lock in the store must be replaced. Which is why at minimum it's a final warning.

Sounds like a good idea. So good they decided to not roll it out company wide. Figures.

We take our key process pretty seriously. A lot of team members don't realize the significance of keys being lost. Every key has a number on it that corresponds with a lock (door or showcase) with the same number. When a key goes missing every lock that matches that key must be replaced. It's a costly and long process. It's not a matter of simply replacing the key and moving on.

Master keys go missing means every lock in the store must be replaced. Which is why at minimum it's a final warning.
It sounds like it's a bit of a pain to replace the keys when they get broken though. There's a part that needs to be replaced any time a key needs to be added or removed. We apparently ran out briefly in mid December so we were a bit light on the backroom keys for a while. To get by we wound up using a spare electronics key and used a regular key ring to attach a WAVE key to it until we could get our replacement. When we did get the replacement set it took me a bit to realize it didn't have the right keys so I had to give it back.

Apparently the wave/crown/ect have the same keying nation wide by the company. Some team members at my store have a copy of the key from their last non Target job.

Apparently the wave/crown/ect have the same keying nation wide by the company. Some team members at my store have a copy of the key from their last non Target job.
Most of our vendors also have Crown keys too it seems. I periodically have to remind them that they can't use our powered equipment. Yes I know you have the key and yes I can see you're better with the stacker than most people here but my understanding is if OSHA shows up and we don't have the paperwork to prove that you've been trained on it ours is the ass on the line not yours so please remove your key.

Heh. My GSTL gave me all the keys he had (some front end, some electronics) so that I could cover his 30 one night. When he came back, I only gave him one set of keys back. I closed that night. When I got home and got undressed, my pants went thud on the carpet. There were three sets of keys attached to it. I called my store in a panic and told them I was on the way back (thank goodness for o/n flow). When I got there, my ETL-GE was at the computer a little concerned about missing keys. That's when I handed them to her. She breathed a huge sigh of relief and thanked me. I never was disciplined (nor was my GSTL).

Yup, you can buy them online and they work just the same. Definitely cheaper if you can just go have a copy made though.

Yup, you can buy them online and they work just the same. Definitely cheaper if you can just go have a copy made though.
Crown C250 Forklift Key and if you want baler keys, it's Square D - E10 replacement key. The Crown keys come molded or unmolded, that black rubber on the head of the key. ;)

I took my fixture room keys home with me once because for some reason they found their way into my back pocket (I always put them on one of my belt loops so I remember to give them back.. So them not being there I guess I thought I had already turned them in.

I didn't even realize I took them until 30 minutes before my next shift (Lol). Thinking I was going to walk into a coaching 20 minutes into my shift I realized no one had a clue, so I kept it that way after I signed them back out to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back