Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, debit card users have a lot to fear. Those credit protections do not apply to them and it can take awhile to get your rent money back (if you get it back at all) if it gets stolen.

There are protections in place for Fraudulent Withdrawals from Checking Accounts. According to the FTC, your only responsible for the first $50 of charges, if you notify your bank within Two Days. If you fail to notify them, you can be held responsible for up to $500 of the charges.

I've gone through this twice already.. :(

When I banked with a (fairly big, local) Credit Union, It was almost a month before they refunded me the $230, someone charged with my debit card online. I don't think my card was hacked from a store, instead, I think it had to do with me paying for some game controller online.

The Second Time. They somehow used my debit card for a withdraw ATM in Louisiana (never been there..) for like $600. What is interesting about this to me, is I didn't think anyone could do that, because of those daily limits. Somehow, it went through though. This time however, I had switched to BOFA after moving, and when I called them, they said I'd just get a refund the next day on my account.

I still wonder how they got ahold of my information the second time. I think it might have had something to do with that TJ-Maxx thing. But, who knows.

Honestly though, I think, whenever possible, everyone should be using there credit cards instead of there debit cards. I mean, if someone gets your debit card, they have instant access to all your money and savings. With Credit at-least, there not really touching your money, and if anything happens, it's a lot more easier to dispute I'm told.

Yeah, notify the bank within 2 days? For everyone who doesn't check their accounts online, that puts them out $500 if they don't catch it until the statement comes. And,like you said taking a month to get the money back, that could be problematic to people who sort of need that money.

I agree completely with your last paragraph. I just hate getting an extra bill in the mail at the end of the month.

Yeah, notify the bank within 2 days? For everyone who doesn't check their accounts online, that puts them out $500 if they don't catch it until the statement comes. And,like you said taking a month to get the money back, that could be problematic to people who sort of need that money.

I agree completely with your last paragraph. I just hate getting an extra bill in the mail at the end of the month.

These days, many banks offer notifications via text message or e-mail when your account has suspicious activity. And re: credit cards - if you do it right (pay on time every time), it can boost your credit.

I knew this was coming.

A customer in California filed a class-action lawsuit against the company late on Thursday, the first of what lawyers said could be many such suits.

Samantha Wredberg said in a court filing that she was a regular shopper at Target and had used her credit card at a company store on December 8. Besides seeking damages, Wredberg asked the court to certify the lawsuit as class action.

She also asked the court to explore whether "Target unreasonably delayed in notifying affected customers of the data breach".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/20/target-sued-credit-card-hack_n_4481307.html

Anyone can sue for anything. But I guess we knew this was coming. Seriously, people. Report your cards as lost/stolen. Get a new account number. Move on with your life. This is not difficult.

I'm a website owner and am a part of the Target.com affiliate program. I received an email yesterday requesting that everything related to the REDcard be removed from my site, and not to promote again until further notice. Guess our REDcard bonus commission period is over too.

I'll personally call in a few days and request a new REDcard. As Retail Girl said, it's not that difficult!

This is like watching a train wreck. Target finaly comes foward and admits the issue after being outed by others. Knowing this was coming you think they would have prepared for the response but, it seems everybody is trying to cancel their red cards and can not get on the website or anybody on the phone so they they are blowinig up face book. And Targets response keeps saying you do not have to cancel your red card unless something wrong appears on it. To which everybody is saying they want to cancel anyway because Target did not bother to warn them something had happened. The last few years we have seen Target make a series of terrible choices taking a once great company and driving it into the ground. Now we have this, and the way they are handling it is a disaster. And you know who will pay for the untold millions the company will lose because of this? The people who work in the stores who will see more positions taken away, more benefits erased and payroll cut even more. The same people making these bad calls have been in charge this entire time and never answer for their never ending screw ups. Everybody at the top of Corporate needs to be cleaned out. When is enough enough? If any of you had even a quarter of the screw ups as the CEO you would have been canned a long time ago. It is just sad to see that it will the people working in the stores that will once again suffer because Targets leadership continues to fail over and over again.

Sounds very similar to what Sony did and what Sony had happen in regards to Hacking a while back.

Doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal at my store. I got 5 new redcards today in electronics.

Yeh, some enterprising TM told a few guests that they could close their accts over the phone but they would need to come in & reopen their acct at the store. I'm sure they'll figure out which one when they see who gets the most redcards.
Derp.

I think the biggest misstep so far has been "apologizing" for this by offering 10% off shopping days. In other words, sorry someone got your credit card data, in order to apologize please come to our stores and buy more stuff.... umm... you know, more than likely using your credit card... which, uh.... kind of resulted in your data getting stolen in the first place.

It's like a car manufacturer that sold defective cars that exploded and killed one of your family members saying they will apologize by giving you 10% off the next car you buy from them. I mean, are you going to want to do business with them again to begin with? And isn't a shallow ploy to make more money off of you a little bit insulting?

Last edited:
has anyone been on targets FB page recently the comments on there are mainly blaming the store teams. for Gods sake I got reamed about 20 times today and im bloody well sick of it. this situation has blown up in the companies face big time

I didn't have anyone blame us today in the pharmacy. Some comments, but mostly business as usual. I expected worse, we have an elderly demographic.

I'm cashiering tomorrow so that might change.

I had a guest ask how she could cancel her RedCard. I gave her the number to call.

She then asked how she could apply for a new one.

:facepalm: Do people not understand the concept of reporting it lost/stolen and getting a new number to the account?

Most likely anyone who tries to close their account and then reapply in the store will be turned down....making people even more unhappy...but that would be due to their own stupidity...though it would still be our fault.

Concerns and questions I can understand and handle. Being yelled at and expected to do something when I can't do anything but apologize and give you the REDCard number that is too busy to get through on, I get frustrated with. The biting sarcastic comments guests make to each other (but are directed towards me), really tick me off.

Concerns and questions I can understand and handle. Being yelled at and expected to do something when I can't do anything but apologize and give you the REDCard number that is too busy to get through on, I get frustrated with. The biting sarcastic comments guests make to each other (but are directed towards me), really tick me off.
I reassured guests & told them not to worry. Just check your statements closely for weird transactions & report them without delay. I have a red card too & I will not panic. Here is your 10% percent coupon for your purchase. It won't work on video games, apple, bose. Sorry about that.

Yep, as soon as I told/reminded them that I was affected as well, they were all more willing to listen to me. I was no longer the big, bad Spot person but instead someone who had the same concerns/worries and had a plan of action.

Good job, rg! Smile:)

The frustrating part is all of the mis-information I see out there. There are people on FB swearing up and down that they've used their REDCard debit card at Target, and now their bank account is wiped out because it is connected to their normal debit card. Umm...no. First, it is in no way linked to your debit card. Remember how we used a blank check to sign you up? Also, the REDCard debit card is actually one of the safer forms of payment in this mess. First, there is no connection to your bank account. I cannot tell you the amount of returns every single day I get from people who "only use my REDCard" at Spot only to either find the look up on a different card or point to the receipt which shows something else (which must be wrong, according to some people). So likely they used another form of payment at some point. Second, they don't have access to your checking account information, so it's still fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back