Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did wait on one lady on Friday who acted like the breech was no big deal. Also when asked by her husband if she had looked her accounts she made it sound like she would do sometime before she died. While I am not freaking out over this problem, I am still am showing more concern. My friend commented on how funny this was and I said that she was just stupid. Lady check any accounts that you may have used at Target during this breech just to be safe.

It must be nice having so much money, you don't care if your stolen from.

It's also really nice knowing you're too broke for anyone to steal from. Another reason I never worry about anyone stealing my cc or debit card info is that I know it'll likely be declined unless they're buying McDonald's or something lol.

A couple of years ago I was only working at Target; behind on my rent, credit card debt up the wazoo; I was very miserable. One of the things keeping me from being miserable was volunteering at the gay community center downtown. I would take the bus downtown (hated driving and paying for parking), and stop at McDonalds for a McChicken and McDouble... total $2.16 for unhealthy but filling shit. One day I swipe my debit card. Doesn't go through. Swipe again. Nope. Walk out empty handed checking my bank account. In the red $136. This happened again a few weeks later.

Yep, I was declined on the Dollar Menu twice. I consider that one of the low points of my life.

I disabled my overdraft protection thing. If I don't have enough for it, it gets declined. I can still overdraw with a check, though. Did the same for my cc. They decline me now. Before they'd allow me to go over the limit by about $25. I've only actually been declined once since I made that change, but before that, I overdrew often. Go figure.

Yeah, overdraft protections are there to make the banks money. During the same time, I went in the red about $250 because I was careless about my spending on my Target Debit Card where the bank groups all the transactions at once anytime within a week of using it. I would swipe the card for anything; $1 drink at lunch, $3 meal for dinner, etc. All those transactions came through at once and with $35 each it added up. Thankfully I was able to talk the customer service rep out of charging them and she was extremely nice and refunded every single one. Couldn't believe it. Knowing what you're talking about and being genuinely nice goes a looooong way.

Thankfully I now have a well-paying job and haven't had to really worry about finances for over a year.

This won't even affect most people.... Plus fraudulent purchases are covered under consumer credit protection.

People are freaking out way too hard.

And uhhhh.... Disturbing post above me?

Actually, debit card users have a lot to fear. Those credit protections do not apply to them and it can take awhile to get your rent money back (if you get it back at all) if it gets stolen.

As someone pointed out, these numbers will be sold to others who will use them. And it will be a huge hassle for many.

PIN numbers aren't in pos records which were targeted. Even corp said pins were safe.

Retread my post. I didn't say a darn thing about PINs. You do know that for regular usage, you can go into a store run it like a credit card and not use a PIN or get cash back, right?

You also know that running it like a credit card means you are protected under Card Protection Laws right??? Jeez.

If you're so worried about your card(s), call and have them send you out a new card on a new account number. I had to do it once for a card I lost a few years back, it was a 5 minute phone call saying I lost my card, and a week later I got a new card with a new account number and I was good to go.. Hardly a "huge" hassle.

People just want to complain about every little thing... The only thing debit users have to "fear" is if somehow the perpetrator got their PIN Number and made huge purchases/withdrawals. However PIN Numbers are not stored in POS Records (believe me, I've looked at enough POS Records in InsidePOS to know), and they said that the perp specifically targeted the Point of Sale system/records -- Even spot said pin numbers WERE NOT compromised.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you would read back, you would know that I'm not actually that concerned. Thanks to the employee discount rules, the only thing I ever use at Spot is my REDCard debit. And again, I'm not worried about the PIN (only keep mentioning it because you do).

On the Target website, they recommend you change your PIN on your target debit card and regular debit cards, so I'm not sure if your REDcard debit is quite as secure as you think. We also had a guest that had a $0.01 charge as a Target ACH transaction, which is one of the warning signs for fraudulent use on an account.

Last edited:
The other day on the sales floor a bunch of people were chatting about the credit cards and one TM said a guest told her someone cleared her account in the ATM which I thought was a little fishy ( how could they possibly get into ATMS??) well....... http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/24/target-denies-report-that-pins-were-stolen-in-data-breach/ Hmm spot has alot of explaining to do and maybe what that team member was saying about the guest was true not to start rumors but hey it did appear on 2 news sites......Ya I know it's been sorta mentioned in the threads here but it's interesting spot keeps denying it and I still wonder if that team member who talked to the guest was true. I mean he seems like a true person but it could also be scare tactics too....

Last edited:
I hate reading these articles and how people think Target is to blame, as if they caused it all >.>

While it's true Spot could have done a much better job with security I totally agree with you.

The victim shaming is kind of ridiculous.

The people they should be angry at are the ones who committed the crime.

I am not an especially financial or tech savvy person. I only use cash or my Target debit card at Target. I only have one checking account which has a bank card (usable as credit or debit) and my Target debit attached to it. I check my bank account daily. At what point, if any, can I stop "worrying" about this security breach? How many of you have closed your Target account if you used it during this time?

I hate reading these articles and how people think Target is to blame, as if they caused it all >.>

I dunno, I do feel partially responsible. A couple weeks ago, a prompt popped up on my register that said "Do you want to release 40 million guest's credit and debit card info? Yes/No?"

... and I accidentally clicked "Yes."

I am not an especially financial or tech savvy person. I only use cash or my Target debit card at Target. I only have one checking account which has a bank card (usable as credit or debit) and my Target debit attached to it. I check my bank account daily. At what point, if any, can I stop "worrying" about this security breach? How many of you have closed your Target account if you used it during this time?

Sadly, I don't know if there really is a point. Once somebody has your information, they have it for good until the account associated with it is closed or terminated. The best thing you can do is close your account and request a new card. (Side note: did you guys know you can view and download your REDCard transaction history through the REDCard site? I had no clue until I went online to change my PIN. Again, I'm always catching on late, but that's definitely useful now!)

So far I haven't closed anything, but just changed my PINs to both my Target card and my debit card, and I've been checking them both a couple times a day. I'm the least concerned about my credit card since it has a relatively low limit on it and, and I rarely make a purchase over $25 with it so any large purchase will stick out like a sore thumb. I also set up mobile alerts for both my credit and debit cards. That's one feature I wish Target cards had. Guess we just sit and wait now.

What would it hurt to cancel your card? I called the Redcard number Monday night, reported my card lost, and received my new card in today's mail. Yep, one of those days was a holiday. Now if my credit card number was stolen, the account is closed. I have a new account and don't have to worry any longer.

I find it hard to believe that Target didn't just send new cards to everybody. Wouldn't that have been easier than remaining liable for those accounts indefinitely?

:wacko:Ya it's not Target's fault people hacked into the system. It's like if someone hacked into your twitter or facebook account and posted spam ( not exactly the same but still) you can't blame facebook or twitter. People always want to place blame when something happens but seriously not Target's fault...... I know it's very very irritating to guests and I would be upset if I found a bunch of charges on my account but I couldn't blame Target I just blame the hackers they are the evil ones in this whole mess.

I'm with mxrbook in that the simplest approach is requesting a new card. I've suggested it to everyone who asks.
Yeh, it's the worst time of year to change over (returns/exchanges, etc) but def the most effective.
My problem is doing w/o my card for even a few days but I'll manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back