Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll gladly quash Target debit cards in order to push use back to their own cards.
Pretty spiteful considering Chase handles Target's cash supply/accounts in our region.

This is interesting JP Morgan Chase is limiting how much cash you can take and how big your purchases can be on a Target debit card drawn on one of their accounts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/21/jpmorgan-chase-limits-cha_n_4486194.html

So, is this my fault as well?

Obviously.

I didn't read the article, but I'll bet it didn't mention the police-like uniforms they were wearing.

Sounds like I picked the winning-est bank out there. That USAA Zero Liability Policy is the best thing ever. I didn't realize other people had to pay some of fraudulent charges back. One lady got mad at me today.. she asked me which card was safest to use. And I thought it was a dumb ass question because, they've already stolen the information. Told her to keep an eye on her accounts and use the card with the better fraud protection lol. She decided she didn't want any of the things she brought to the register. She should've had that stupid conversation before she shopped.

I've never worried about this kind of stuff, though. The one time someone was brave enough to attempt to use my Capital One card, cap one shut it down, and called me before they even finished the transaction to verify. The only other time anyone's stolen my money electronically was when someone broke into my iTunes account and bought gift cards with the linked paypal account. That took longer to reverse, but the did reverse it.

This won't even affect most people.... Plus fraudulent purchases are covered under consumer credit protection.

People are freaking out way too hard.

And uhhhh.... Disturbing post above me?

Actually, debit card users have a lot to fear. Those credit protections do not apply to them and it can take awhile to get your rent money back (if you get it back at all) if it gets stolen.

As someone pointed out, these numbers will be sold to others who will use them. And it will be a huge hassle for many.

PIN numbers aren't in pos records which were targeted. Even corp said pins were safe.

This is interesting JP Morgan Chase is limiting how much cash you can take and how big your purchases can be on a Target debit card drawn on one of their accounts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/21/jpmorgan-chase-limits-cha_n_4486194.html

So, is this my fault as well?

And the banks will of course not make you pay fraud charges but, they will be the ones to sue Target to get that money back and then some and they will win.

You know how it works.
Hackers bust into company that didn't do enough to protect itself and in order to cover itself the bank will punish you.

This won't even affect most people.... Plus fraudulent purchases are covered under consumer credit protection.

People are freaking out way too hard.

And uhhhh.... Disturbing post above me?

Actually, debit card users have a lot to fear. Those credit protections do not apply to them and it can take awhile to get your rent money back (if you get it back at all) if it gets stolen.

As someone pointed out, these numbers will be sold to others who will use them. And it will be a huge hassle for many.

PIN numbers aren't in pos records which were targeted. Even corp said pins were safe.

Retread my post. I didn't say a darn thing about PINs. You do know that for regular usage, you can go into a store run it like a credit card and not use a PIN or get cash back, right?

Our STL was at the door a lot today, handing out a sheet with the discount info on it.

Sounds like you have one of the good ones.
Still deciding that.... :p

He did apologize for mis-information the other day on how to do something regarding a scorecard item, so +1. (he's new to the store, but not Spot), apparently our store works differently than the other did -confirmed by a TM that worked their.

I got this email from Chase last night.

Unfortunately, your debit card or Chase Liquid card is at risk by the breach at Target stores
Dear XXX XXXX:
As you've learned from recent news reports, Target reported that it experienced a data breach on debit and credit cards that its customers used
to make purchases in its stores from November 27th through December 15th.
Unfortunately, your Chase debit or Liquid card was identified as one at risk because of Target's security breach.
Defending against fraud is a top priority for us, so we are taking extra precautions to try to keep Chase accounts safe.

Here's what you should know:
First and most important, don't worry. All your Chase cards have our Zero Liability Protection.
That means you're not liable for unauthorized transactions you report to us.

We use sophisticated fraud-monitoring tools to review account transactions and detect abnormal spending and ATM patterns. That helps us block fraudulent transactions.

Here's what has changed:
Beginning today, for customers whose debit or Liquid cards are at risk from the Target breach,
we are temporarily limiting ATM withdrawals in the United States to $100 per day and purchases to a total of $300 a day.

Those customers travelling internationally whose debit cards are at risk won't be able to access cash at an ATM. If you are traveling outside the United States or plan to, please call the number on your card to see how we can help you.

Here's what you can do:
Stop by a branch:
Employees at our 5,600 branches are standing by to help you if you need more cash than $100. With proper identification, you can access your available funds.
Many branches will also stay open late, if needed, to help customers.

To find a branch near you, visit our branch locator on chase.com.
Watch for your new card. We plan to reissue all affected debit cards and Chase Liquid Cards automatically over the coming weeks.
Until then, you can use your debit or Liquid card with the temporary limits.
We realize this could not have happened at a more inconvenient time with the holiday season upon us.
We ask for your patience as we take these precautions to combat fraud and prevent criminals from using your card.
We'll continue to keep you updated by email and through chase.com.
Sincerely,

Jennifer Myhre
Senior Vice President
Chase Consumer and Community Banking

This is the worst time of year for that. I get they want limit the risk to themselves but, we all know they will take any money they lose from Target either in a law suit just like they did TJmaxx the last time this happened.

Pin and Chip is wayyyy better, which is why the article says we are the most targeted (HAHAHA). Alas, the equipment isn't cheap, the cards are more and merchants don't want to pay to replace their stuff.

So, we pay the price....

Now it becomes a challenge to figure out who they target next - because they are done with Target at this point.

But, the Banks and such in the US aren't doing any of us any favors staying with this crap old technology.

Spot doesn't own the credit/debit portfolio, anymore. We did have the chip in the cards years ago. I got a free reader for it.

On both Thursday and Friday when I rang I noticed no prompts for Red Cards on the register. The closing LOD email for Thursday showed us, as having 5 Red Cards for something like only 25 prompts. After the STL announced the credit/debit card breech Thursday morning nothing else was said able about the REd Card.

Did anyone notice changes at the top of the receipts?
Ours didn't have the address/phone/store number info. Looked really strange.

We use sophisticated fraud-monitoring tools to review account transactions and detect abnormal spending and ATM patterns. That helps us block fraudulent transactions.

Those "sophisticated" tools didn't work today. Someone went on a nice shopping spree at the Lincoln Park Apple Store & Walgreens, and Best Buy with my Chase card.

I live far, far away from Illinois. It's been years since I've visited Chicago. But apparently to Chase, spending 3 Grand (in one day) is a usual pattern for me. :huh:

I'm not really upset. Just in-convenienced a little. I mean, it sucks going a week without a credit card :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back