Lack of appreciation for Redcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They make it a point to mention at every huddle that we were number 1 (or at the top) for Redcards for so long and now we're not. A lot of people that shop at our store already have a card and they already realized it was b.s. and stopped using it. I already stopped using my red check card just because I hate that it comes out on a delay. I overdrew a couple times so my bank (Target CU lol) didn't pay it and Target charged me a fee (TCU didn't).

I only cashier when they randomly schedule me to and when I go for backup, but I have a hard time peddling that card because I'm a bad liar. I have convinced a few people even after telling them the downsides, but none of them had a checkbook on them :/

When I worked at Kohl's we would get (drumroll, please) $.50 per approved Kohl's Card. Occasionally, they would have special deals where we would get a whole $.

That's Depressing..

Edit. Not trying to sound ungrateful, but that's really kinda pathetic. I mean, your selling a store card, that's going to earn the company hundreds of dollars in interest payments, and merchandise sales. They could offer better incentives then .50.

Last edited:
Do you also think you should make a commission on every sale? I mean, when you have those $500 orders, you are making money for Target. And stocking the floor so that people can buy stuff should also rate a commission. Oh wait, they ARE paying us to do these things. It's your paycheck. If you want more money, then I guess you'll have to look for another job. More than likely, anywhere you work will expect you to fulfill your job requirements.

Do you also think you should make a commission on every sale? I mean, when you have those $500 orders, you are making money for Target. And stocking the floor so that people can buy stuff should also rate a commission. Oh wait, they ARE paying us to do these things. It's your paycheck. If you want more money, then I guess you'll have to look for another job. More than likely, anywhere you work will expect you to fulfill your job requirements.

Typical leader speak.

When I worked at Kohl's we would get (drumroll, please) $.50 per approved Kohl's Card. Occasionally, they would have special deals where we would get a whole $.

That's Depressing..

Edit. Not trying to sound ungrateful, but that's really kinda pathetic. I mean, your selling a store card, that's going to earn the company hundreds of dollars in interest payments, and merchandise sales. They could offer better incentives then .50.

I couldn't agree more. What I didn't put was that I worked at a bank before Kohls. We would get $8 for every (what they called) closed referral. That's when someone actually came in and opened the account. We got $10 from Visa when someone opened a credit card. Then there was the $25 for whenever we referred someone to talk to our securities person. That last was a what they called, "cheeks in the seat". We got it even if they didn't decide to invest with us.

I don't think getting someone to sign up for a redcard or debit card is comparable to making a big sale. After all, the guest likely already knew exactly what they wanted when they stepped through the door, if they're spending $500+. When it comes to the cards, you have to convince a guest that they need/want it. Instead of trying to find something the guest already wants, you're using sales tactics and logical arguments to convince the guest of what they need, according to Target.

I don't think getting someone to sign up for a redcard or debit card is comparable to making a big sale. After all, the guest likely already knew exactly what they wanted when they stepped through the door, if they're spending $500+. When it comes to the cards, you have to convince a guest that they need/want it. Instead of trying to find something the guest already wants, you're using sales tactics and logical arguments to convince the guest of what they need, according to Target.

Pretty much this. However Electronics has a lot of potential for upselling people on attachments,etc.

Target needs to do SOMETHING for the lowest paid workers in stores IMO. Its wrong that GSTLs get all the glory for REDCards, and Cashiers don't benefit! Spot is just abusing the fact that they can make dictate what they want, since theres always a supply of new TMs. Oh and don't forget. They justify their ****ty compensation because target is "Fast fun and friendly"!

Of course you won't hear this from a GSTL, they just care about their numbers not their TMs.

Wait, am I supposed to be ashamed because I do my job, Imerzan?

Yes. Because you are nothing but a corporate shrill. A husk of a person and nothing more. Never mind the fact that the interest rates on these things are in the clouds, is not overtly disclosed, and that hucking these things is essentially putting a lot of people who don't fully understand the concept of credit into significant debt. That's apparently ok because the company says it is.

"But I was just following orders..." Any guess as to where that's been heard before?

Yes. Because you are nothing but a corporate shrill. A husk of a person and nothing more. Never mind the fact that the interest rates on these things are in the clouds, is not overtly disclosed, and that hucking these things is essentially putting a lot of people who don't fully understand the concept of credit into significant debt. That's apparently ok because the company says it is.

"But I was just following orders..." Any guess as to where that's been heard before?

Wow. A husk of a person? Why the hell did mrxbook do to you? Kill your dog? My gosh people. Have any of you worked a commission job? I'm sure they're great for some people, but I seriously hated it. Trust me, you don't feel valued just b/c you're getting a couple extra bucks. The money is not that great either. Get some perspective. Call the bastards who bombed the Boston marathon husks of a person, not the GSTL trying to do his job.

The interest rate is high, but it's not hidden from the guest. If the guest is smart they could simply ask the TM about the APR or actually read the pamphlet. I don't see how we should feel guilty that people are going into debt. It's not our fault that people don't know how to limit themselves.

Let's ease off on the intensity here.
We can disagree over roles and even have strong feelings about the way Spot plays us against each other without making it personal.

Last edited:
Chewie, not everyone carries a balance on their credit cards and don't assume everyone who signs up for a high interest credit card is a moron. They may be a person who just needs an easy to obtain credit card to buy their kids shoes now, but don't get paid for a week.

I just take the discounts stores give me to use their cards (LOVE KOHLS) never rack up more than I can afford to pay off within 2 weeks. If I must carry a balance, then thats what my bank cards are for.

Credit is a wonderful thing, if used responsibly.

For everyone that disagrees so wholeheartedly with GSTLs and dislikes their leadership, I'm curious what you would do differently in the same role? I ask this because this is a chosen career path for me. I didn't want to stay at minimum wage forever, I've tried different jobs and I just naturally fit into retail. So now I obviously want to move up and have a steady career. I read all of these hateful things about GSTLs in particular and I just don't understand what people would have them do differently. (There are always going to be bad leaders of course, but I'm talking specifically about redcards because this is the convo topic.) For the people who hate TLs and ETLs, are you never going to move up? Because in order to move up you're going to have to become a leader, and every single company I have worked for (and there has been MANY) has their leaders encourage things like service plan attachments or credit cards or item of the months, whatever, and as a minimum-wage paid employee I never ONCE hated them for pushing things the company I CHOSE to work for pushes. Even if I didn't like to sell those things sometimes. I've only disliked people because of their attitudes or sour demeanors, not for fulfilling their job duties.

So back to the original question, what would you have them do? It's their job. And how are you going to ever move up if you can't even fulfill your job duties without being so disagreeable?

I don't know, just my thoughts. I'm having a hard time with a lot of negativity at my front end, but I care immensely about each of my team members and I just want them to succeed. I tell them that if I know they ask every person, and they do it genuinely, then they are doing their job and I won't need to coach them... And yet, they just don't. I give them hours to train in different areas, I let them go to the sales floor to get a break, I hold cashier huddles, I chat with them about their interests and concerns, I jump on a lane frequently so I dont have to call the sales floor, I take service desk hours and give them to cart attendants so they'll have decent hours. I bust my butt trying to keep them happy, and yet, there's still so much hate because we are all held to a redcard standard from the company. And as much as I dislike that I will not be allowed to move up to an ETL until my store gets to green, I still love my job and try my hardest. Sucks being thrown into a position where I'm automatically hated though...

Wow. A husk of a person? Why the hell did mrxbook do to you? Kill your dog? My gosh people. Have any of you worked a commission job? I'm sure they're great for some people, but I seriously hated it. Trust me, you don't feel valued just b/c you're getting a couple extra bucks. The money is not that great either. Get some perspective. Call the bastards who bombed the Boston marathon husks of a person, not the GSTL trying to do his job.

First off, don't even bring the Boston bombings into this, it has nothing to do with the subject.

And a REDCard commission would actually be "ALL THAT" for the minimum wage paid cashiers of Target, so stop trying to play that down. I'm not saying cut their wages and add a ****ty commission, but add on the commission as a BONUS to incentivize getting more REDCards since they help the company profit greatly. I'm pretty sure Target can afford a measly couple dollars here and there considering the huge amounts of money they make off the REDCards.

GSTLs asking what you can do different? Maybe for starters stop being a bunch of corporate tools spouting pre-determined Spot Phrases from your mouths 24/7, spewing out phony redcard announcements every 10 mins on the walkie, and actually learning a thing or two about motivating people instead of being number nazis. And theres no way getting around it, but yes you are encouraging taking advantage of people, and even encouraging methods of convincing people they need something they don't really need (and would actually be detrimental for the individual in question). I've seen cashiers say that the Credit Card isn't a Credit Card, but its a "Cash Card", and you just go to guest service to pay it after you get rung up. Did my GSTL's have anything to say about this shady behavior? No they encouraged it.

No matter what you do though, people are going to dislike you for being the REDCard Police from corporate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think an issue I have with this is that you are assuming all GSTLs are just like yours when you actually have no idea what we say or do at our own stores.

First off, don't even bring the Boston bombings into this, it has nothing to do with the subject.

And a REDCard commission would actually be "ALL THAT" for the minimum wage paid cashiers of Target, so stop trying to play that down. I'm not saying cut their wages and add a ****ty commission, but add on the commission as a BONUS to incentivize getting more REDCards since they help the company profit greatly. I'm pretty sure Target can afford a measly couple dollars here and there considering the huge amounts of money they make off the REDCards.

GSTLs asking what you can do different? Maybe for starters stop being a bunch of corporate tools spouting pre-determined Spot Phrases from your mouths 24/7, spewing out phony redcard announcements every 10 mins on the walkie, and actually learning a thing or two about motivating people instead of being number nazis. And theres no way getting around it, but yes you are encouraging taking advantage of people, and even encouraging methods of convincing people they need something they don't really need (and would actually be detrimental for the individual in question). I've seen cashiers say that the Credit Card isn't a Credit Card, but its a "Cash Card", and you just go to guest service to pay it after you get rung up. Did my GSTL's have anything to say about this shady behavior? No they encouraged it.

No matter what you do though, people are going to dislike you for being the REDCard Police from corporate.

There are some pretty big generalizations in here. I am not a shady person and I would never encourage lying to any of my guests. As a matter of fact, I really only talk about the debit card, which I have and use frequently, and only elaborate on the credit card when someone asks. I personally have a credit card for another company and I use it very responsibly and love the benefits.

Also, how hard is it to understand that if you ask everyone, politely, and provide all the information, that you're doing your job and thus do not need "policing." I've got a thousand and one things to do, and I very much dislike having to babysit and watch people like a hawk because they can't do their job. Doesn't mean I call those people names or refer to them derogatorily because they make my job harder.

Nor am I a "corporate tool" that enjoys pushing those numbers. Yeah, it's part of my job, but I do it as fairly and positively as possible. If I had it my way, I'd spend my entire day speed weaving because I love the guest interactions and the interaction with my team members. Unfortunately as a GSTL with only one GSA I don't have that luxury. I see people on these threads wishing GSTLs were in the sales floors shoes, not realizing there is another assumption here that I've never worked sales floor or been in their shoes. I've worked the sales floor, I've been a cart attendant, I've been a cashier, I've worked backrooms and unloaded trucks. I'd love for people to just take a moment to understand the hardships your fellow coworkers go through in general. GSTLs, TLs, TMs and ETLs alike.

Please dont generalize that we all sit on our asses, spew venom, torture our team members, etc. I'm just making a living doing something I enjoy. And once again, EVERY company has its downsides and things it tries to push.

I used to work for another retail store that had THE laziest employees... For the couple years I was there I saw uncaring managers and employees run it into the ground, at multiple locations, and guess what, they went bankrupt and I lost my job. It happens. So it's important that your company makes money and innovates ways to keep guests coming back. And it's important as a worker that you do your job to ensure that the company is successful.

I used to work for another retail store that had THE laziest employees... For the couple years I was there I saw uncaring managers and employees run it into the ground, at multiple locations, and guess what, they went bankrupt and I lost my job. It happens. So it's important that your company makes money and innovates ways to keep guests coming back. And it's important as a worker that you do your job to ensure that the company is successful.

Sounds like the road spot is on. Of course you can add corporate into the list of offenders.

Credit cards are not evil. People are just irresponsible. Store cards have higher interest rates. Most people should know that. Most major credit cards have much more reasonable rates. If all guests want to do is save 5%, they should probably get a debit card. If they want to live outside their means at a 5% discount they should probably get a credit card. But when they're in debt to target for years, that's their own fault, not target's. I'm annoyed every time someone tells me credit cards are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back