Archived Let’s discuss why so many people quit Target...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common occurrences such as “How do I quit,” and “Why I am quitting....” seem to deface the site like graffiti. Personal experiences, such as me witnessing a former TM outpouring about how done he is with the company and then storming out of the breakroom never to be seen or heard of again seems to populate my thoughts whenever I think about the stability of Targets employees. How about the uneasiness felt by all of our seasonal TM’s that are unanonymously incapable of expressing how they really feel, so they resort to making threads discussing how to do all of the aforementioned, online, here, just to be told the obvious? Or the ones that want to stay, who learn everything on their own until they’re fully capable enough of running their department, to be dismissed after their time is up as if it were all but a waste of time. It is because we are taught to not think for ourselves. Underwhelming positions with feasible work end up being way more tedious than the applicants of it could have ever imagined... all because of the resentment of team work. How many lights do you see every holiday season at the registers full of seasonals? How many times do you hear people ask for the location of the electronics keys just to be usually denied due to the vastness of the store and the unreliability of its safekeeping? What about stumbling employees who’ve been asked where something is by a guest who have to resort to a scheme of making up the location, saying they’re out of it, or leading them to a more familiarized employee— and then repeating it over and over until they find a guest asking for something they surely know of the items whereabouts. It is not the work itself, it is the architecture of the work that leads to confusion, irritability and multiple TM absences. Why do some departments not have a Team Leader..., or whatever the proper acronym for it is? Why does SFS require people to sweep and sweep, whenever they’re at a low production state that could take hours? It is because it is cheaper to keep employees on standby than to not have them whenever orders come in... so if they stand around, or if they do work on something abstract, and they don’t look productive even with a lack of work, they can get in lots of trouble. I could go on and on... so tell me, what makes you tick, and why do you think so many people leave? Do you think it’s a general thing for all stores? Or just Target?

We work in retail, it’s a bottom tier job. The majority of workers are just team members, the lowest rank in retail. Low skilled work is typically performed by students, people that just need “a job” or those who just work to file for unemployment later on. Turnover will obviously be high. I can say that the entire store I work at will have totally different staff in two years with almost absolute certainty. Obviously excluding leadership.

Our store doesn’t have a big turnover. We have several TMs that have been with Target for 6+ years. Good enough to keep but not good enough to promote. In 12 months we’ve lost maybe 10 people. And 2 of those were transfers cause they moved.

We live in a disposable world—including jobs. We also are living in a time where the number one priority is ones own self.

Don’t like your boss? Find a new one. You weren’t granted time off? Find a new job. You work too hard? Find a new job. Mommy and daddy tell you to quit so you can xyz? Find a new job. You don’t like the new expectations? Find a new job. You don’t like the schedule? Find a new job. You were yelled at and you didn’t like it? Find a new job.

And it’s not a big deal anymore to have a ton of jobs in a short period of time. A few years ago, if you were changing jobs every 7 months, that was a red flag. Now it’s “oh, look at their experience”

Common occurrences such as “How do I quit,” and “Why I am quitting....” seem to deface the site like graffiti. Personal experiences, such as me witnessing a former TM outpouring about how done he is with the company and then storming out of the breakroom never to be seen or heard of again seems to populate my thoughts whenever I think about the stability of Targets employees. How about the uneasiness felt by all of our seasonal TM’s that are unanonymously incapable of expressing how they really feel, so they resort to making threads discussing how to do all of the aforementioned, online, here, just to be told the obvious? Or the ones that want to stay, who learn everything on their own until they’re fully capable enough of running their department, to be dismissed after their time is up as if it were all but a waste of time. It is because we are taught to not think for ourselves. Underwhelming positions with feasible work end up being way more tedious than the applicants of it could have ever imagined... all because of the resentment of team work. How many lights do you see every holiday season at the registers full of seasonals? How many times do you hear people ask for the location of the electronics keys just to be usually denied due to the vastness of the store and the unreliability of its safekeeping? What about stumbling employees who’ve been asked where something is by a guest who have to resort to a scheme of making up the location, saying they’re out of it, or leading them to a more familiarized employee— and then repeating it over and over until they find a guest asking for something they surely know of the items whereabouts. It is not the work itself, it is the architecture of the work that leads to confusion, irritability and multiple TM absences. Why do some departments not have a Team Leader..., or whatever the proper acronym for it is? Why does SFS require people to sweep and sweep, whenever they’re at a low production state that could take hours? It is because it is cheaper to keep employees on standby than to not have them whenever orders come in... so if they stand around, or if they do work on something abstract, and they don’t look productive even with a lack of work, they can get in lots of trouble. I could go on and on... so tell me, what makes you tick, and why do you think so many people leave? Do you think it’s a general thing for all stores? Or just Target?
Seems to be a general thing in all jobs, some people just don’t give a fuck. Had one TM who was last seen sitting on the floor, hating her life, leave in the middle of her shift during Black Friday madness without saying a word, and never came back. Some people just don’t like to work. We’re better off without them, if only they all had the balls to walk out like that (I mean preferably not in the middle of a shift, just fucking come in and say you’re done, with a bit of notice, so we actually have a chance to cover your shift) instead of trying to spread their misery. No one gets paid enough, no one is appreciated enough, and for those who haven’t realized yet that it’s going to be the same at any job, they’re gonna believe they will find something better, always.

My main theory is they don’t want to work and they don’t try to do the job! But then I waunder why apply and not try at your job and it makes me sad when people that want jobs don’t get hired verses the ones that don’t want to work and get the job! You can easily tell when team members don’t care about their job and that’s literally any where lots of people do not care that’s the issue.

Retail jobs just have high turnover rate. Yeah things are especially sucky lately, but I’m interested in seeing the turnover rate this year compared to last year.

Retail jobs just have high turnover rate. Yeah things are especially sucky lately, but I’m interested in seeing the turnover rate this year compared to last year.

A fucking bloodbath compared to last year. Last year people at least gave notice, this year they just ghost or say "I'm out and they are gone." respect for leadership is long long gone and they don't even see that as a problem of theirs. In one day I heard that two people just called out and quit at the same time.. Like you see five people quit on the same weekend and you don't think you have a problem? Yes, Yes you do..

These jobs aren't easy.
39smq.gif

The hell they aren't. Go try out roofing or plumbing for a couple weeks, then get back to me.

You should never spend your life working in retail, there are always better jobs, even unskilled

And if someone enjoys working retail? And can make enough money to get by? Why shouldn't they spend their life working in retail? Sure, this year was shit. But that's how it goes. The job can be challenging, but it's not ridiculously physical labor, nor does it take advanced education. It literally takes common sense, a good attitude, and a good work ethic. Absolutely nothing wrong with working in retail, so stop shitting on it.

Emotional, LOL. Ya'll need to buck UP.
I have over the years, but I'm guessing you're a pretty damn strong dude emotionally, Kartman. Not everyone is. I've gotten better, as I've been through some serious shit, but these 16-22 year olds? Probably not. And if you have mental illness? Forget about it.

And roofers, plumbers, etc, don't have to deal with 100+ customers daily, do they? At Walmart, I was doing at least that, with almost no proper training or experience, poorly managed depression, and completely awful customers (I was at literally the worst of the Walmarts in my city). I'm in a great place now, but it wasn't always easy. People can be shit and not seem to realize that we're human. Just my two cents, but every job has its good parts and its bad. What one person considers hard may seem simple to someone else. And with a lot of "unskilled labor" jobs, if it's really easy (not comparing it to the other jobs you've had anyway), are you really doing it right?

And frankly, if you haven't worked a specific job, how do you know it's "easy?"

Turnover is a normal part of entry level work. Since most retail workers are doing entry level work, you should expect high turnover. Target, like any other retail store, is just a pit stop for a lot of people. Nothing wrong with that.

Retail will always have it's ups and downs, TM's you can't stand, TL's and ETL's you loathe...and then there are the guests. I have my bad days at Spot, but I enjoy every minute of it because I keep learning. Right now I hate going in because the light duty side looks like tornado alley and it never seems to get better...but it will after Christmas. Just keep telling yourself that things will improve and trust me, they will. Maybe my store is different than the others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back