Archived LOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the LOD's role as far as helping the team as a whole get the store in shape as we get ready to close for the day? I'm confused because I have worked with a couple different LOD's during closing shifts and some do whatever needs to be done to get us out at 11:15PM (end of shift) and a couple do nothing so we end up working past schedule by as much as an hour. During the weekends it's especially noticeable. We have LOD's that will keep up on reshop or light duty CAF or taking down the signage that is expiring so at the end of the night the team isn't facing 20 carts of reshop. Other times all the LOD does is walkie me every 20 minutes to see what progress my team and I are making in zoning or reshop while he or she does not lift a finger to help out. They tend to walk around the sales floor pushing an empty cart looking like they are busy.

Whoever is LOD has no obligation what-so-ever to help out. If they choose to do so, they can. Whoever is LOD is the highest authority in the building. 99% of what they are supposed to be doing is controlling, organizaing, planning, and leading. Notice that none of those things requires helping out or getting their hands dirty.

The LOD is the sole authority in the building on who should be doing certain tasks and what tasks should be done. If the LOD decides that you need to have a 45 minute huddle, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides that instead of working stray/zone at 8PM everyone on the floor needs to build end caps, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides he/she needs to sit in clerical and tell people what to do on the walkie, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides he/she needs to work stray/zone, then that is what happens. Basically whatever they decide needs to be done is what is done. Anyone questioning the LOD is subject to corrective action up to and including termination.

It sounds like you are trying to find out if the LOD is required to help out so you can make an issue of it at your store. (the LOD has no requirement to help TMs work) More than likely, someone on here (who doesn't know better) is going to tell you that the LOD is required to be helping out. If they do, my advice to you is not to go and tell the LOD they are supposed to be helping out at your store. Trust me, it won't end well for you.

"What is the LOD's role as far as helping the team as a whole get the store in shape as we get ready to close for the day"

So basically in answer to this question - the LODs role in the closing shift is to make sure everyone is doing what they were instructed to do, to decide who needs to do what, to decide what needs to be done, walking the store so they can write a report for the opening LOD, and to follow proper closing procedures. (lock the doors, etc.) There is a little more to it - but basically during the closing shift the LOD is 100% management focused.

Now as far as TLs go? On the closing shift they should be *both* helping out *and* leading. Sometimes TMs get the terms LOD, ETL, and TL confused. So if your TLs are not helping out and leading, then there is a problem. However, as a TM that is not for you to deal with. It is up to the LOD to deal with if a TL is not doing what they are supposed to do on a closing shift. Now, if the LOD chooses to let a TL run around and do nothing but "lead" on the closing shift, then there is nothing you can do about it. The LOD is the sole authority in the building - and if that is what they want a TL to do, then there is no debating it.

Technically, if the LOD told a TL to hang out in food ave the entire closing shift and told the TL to sit on the walkie and tell people what to do the entire closing shift, there is nothing you can do about it. Now, I seriously doubt any LOD would do that.... (and the STL would probably question that ETLs judgement ability), but they would have the authority to do that.

Basically the point I am trying to make is that whoever is LOD has basically unlimited power to direct store operations and TMs/TLs.

Last edited:
As SoT so ably spelled out leadership is the key role for the LOD.
They have to make sure everyone is performing their jobs in a manner that allows the openers to function and for everybody to get out on time.
The tricky part is how they to go about that task.
Some feel that delegation and strict supervision with a bit of yelling/whip cracking thrown works just fine.
I'm not a big fan.
Others like the lead by example, get out on the ramparts and be the first to put an ax in someones skull (metaphorically that is).
Much bigger fan of that one.
Most fall somewhere in between.

As a TM it is important to remember that it is also your job to train the ETL's.
Many of them have little or no floor experience, so ask them over. politely pick their brains for support and ideas on how to do the job.
It might get them to thinking about how they are handling the situation.
Just remember, be polite, sincere and have a good comment.

Whoever is LOD has no obligation what-so-ever to help out. If they choose to do so, they can. Whoever is LOD is the highest authority in the building. 99% of what they are supposed to be doing is controlling, organizaing, planning, and leading. Notice that none of those things requires helping out or getting their hands dirty.

The LOD is the sole authority in the building on who should be doing certain tasks and what tasks should be done. If the LOD decides that you need to have a 45 minute huddle, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides that instead of working stray/zone at 8PM everyone on the floor needs to build end caps, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides he/she needs to sit in clerical and tell people what to do on the walkie, then that is what happens. If the LOD decides he/she needs to work stray/zone, then that is what happens. Basically whatever they decide needs to be done is what is done. Anyone questioning the LOD is subject to corrective action up to and including termination.

It sounds like you are trying to find out if the LOD is required to help out so you can make an issue of it at your store. (the LOD has no requirement to help TMs work) More than likely, someone on here (who doesn't know better) is going to tell you that the LOD is required to be helping out. If they do, my advice to you is not to go and tell the LOD they are supposed to be helping out at your store. Trust me, it won't end well for you.

"What is the LOD's role as far as helping the team as a whole get the store in shape as we get ready to close for the day"

So basically in answer to this question - the LODs role in the closing shift is to make sure everyone is doing what they were instructed to do, to decide who needs to do what, to decide what needs to be done, walking the store so they can write a report for the opening LOD, and to follow proper closing procedures. (lock the doors, etc.) There is a little more to it - but basically during the closing shift the LOD is 100% management focused.

Now as far as TLs go? On the closing shift they should be *both* helping out *and* leading. Sometimes TMs get the terms LOD, ETL, and TL confused. So if your TLs are not helping out and leading, then there is a problem. However, as a TM that is not for you to deal with. It is up to the LOD to deal with if a TL is not doing what they are supposed to do on a closing shift. Now, if the LOD chooses to let a TL run around and do nothing but "lead" on the closing shift, then there is nothing you can do about it. The LOD is the sole authority in the building - and if that is what they want a TL to do, then there is no debating it.

Technically, if the LOD told a TL to hang out in food ave the entire closing shift and told the TL to sit on the walkie and tell people what to do the entire closing shift, there is nothing you can do about it. Now, I seriously doubt any LOD would do that.... (and the STL would probably question that ETLs judgement ability), but they would have the authority to do that.

Basically the point I am trying to make is that whoever is LOD has basically unlimited power to direct store operations and TMs/TLs.

So an LOD can just sit on a chair, drinking coffee while demanding orders on the walkie talkie? Much like a film director.

By 'helping TMs out' does that include doing their job for them? I hope not.

By actually going around and checking up on people while assisting customers and answering the walkie-talking, should that be their main focus? I hope so.

So an LOD can just sit on a chair, drinking coffee while demanding orders on the walkie talkie? Much like a film director.

By 'helping TMs out' does that include doing their job for them? I hope not.

By actually going around and checking up on people while assisting customers and answering the walkie-talking, should that be their main focus? I hope so.

Yes, if the LOD decides that is what they want to do then they can do that. Whoever is LOD basically has unlimited power to run the show like they want. Remember, "LOD" is only a status for Leader on Duty. Part of having the "status" of being LOD during your shift is broad sweeping management authority. If the person in the LOD status did not have elevated management authority, then what would be the point of having the LOD status? The point is - when you are LOD you have more management authority than just being an ETL. *Technically* a SrTL that is currently the LOD has authority over ETLs as far as processes are concerned. (in reality, no ETL is going to let a SrTL that is LOD override them, but technically they have that authority) The whole point of being LOD is basically to give you ultra-high authority and empower you to make any and all decisions for the store. If the LOD decides to sit in their office and run the store from their walkie, then yes, they have the authority to do that. Honestly, that would be stupid to do because they wouldn't be fully in control since they would have no idea what was actually happening on the floor.... but yes, they have the authority to make the decision to manage that way.

Of course, the STL may not be happy with how an ETL handles things in the LOD role - in which case they may be told to do otherwise. However, it has been my observation during the years I spent at Target that most STLs don't tell ETLs how to handle things on their LOD shifts unless they are just doing something totally crazy like laying down on the ground and rolling around.

Remember, also, that the STL can be LOD. In which case, that STL basically has unchecked power because no one above them is there to give them any feedback.

Last edited:
Very good answers to all that replied!

I can tell you that when I am LOD I am either constantly zoning end caps, or taking on a section of a department. I usually Zone Towels, Paper and usually a section of Ready To Wear. Do I have to do this... Absolutely not, but I feel its important to establish that relationship with the team. One of my ETL's will literally sit down in his office for his entire LOD shift. Total lazy a$$. I aspire NOT to be like him....

The LOD assesses the business needs for the day, partners with the appropriate team members/leaders to develop a plan for implementation and is responsible for overseeing that implementation. It is a MANAGEMENT position. Their job is to MANAGE. Anything else is a bonus. Those of you who think that just because someone is sitting at a desk means that they are not being productive are just plain foolish. Who do you think my supports the issues that arise? Who do you think makes out the schedule and has to rearrange it so that all of the shifts are covered while 10 tms have been approved for vacation time on the same Saturday? Who do you think reads all of the message board notes and has to make sure that corporate issues that have been addressed there are taken care of at your store. Just because they aren't doing YOUR job doesn't mean they are lazy or not doing something. If you are so aware of where everyone else is and what they are doing I would suggest that you redirect your focus toward YOUR job and do it. That's what you are paid to do. If your LOD or ETL is not doing theirs be assured that their peers know it and they will get their walking papers after going through "the process".

The LOD assesses the business needs for the day, partners with the appropriate team members/leaders to develop a plan for implementation and is responsible for overseeing that implementation. It is a MANAGEMENT position. Their job is to MANAGE. Anything else is a bonus. Those of you who think that just because someone is sitting at a desk means that they are not being productive are just plain foolish. Who do you think my supports the issues that arise? Who do you think makes out the schedule and has to rearrange it so that all of the shifts are covered while 10 tms have been approved for vacation time on the same Saturday? Who do you think reads all of the message board notes and has to make sure that corporate issues that have been addressed there are taken care of at your store. Just because they aren't doing YOUR job doesn't mean they are lazy or not doing something. If you are so aware of where everyone else is and what they are doing I would suggest that you redirect your focus toward YOUR job and do it. That's what you are paid to do. If your LOD or ETL is not doing theirs be assured that their peers know it and they will get their walking papers after going through "the process".

I think part if it is that some TMs refuse to acknowledge the authority of TLs/ETLs. (and sometimes GSAs) As a former TL, I saw this happen on many occasions. Some TMs simply don't believe they have to listen to leaders. Or, actually, it would be better to say they don't *want* to listen to them.

I noticed during my years as a TL that some TMs will try to damage the power of leaders.... Because they can't directly challenge them, they go about it in a devious way.

For example, I have seen TMs who don't like ETLs go out of their way to play them against each other. So, they will try to make ETLs hate each other personally, or cause them to feel like one of them is trying to contradict the other all the time. I have seen TMs intentionally "setup" these types of situations by intentionally going to one ETL and asking for instructions, and then minutes later going to another ETL and getting new instructions from them. Then, when the TM is called on it, they play the ETLs against each other by trying to make it appear like the other one intentionally contradicted the other, which causes those ETLs to slowly start to dislike each other.

Some TMs try to disempower TLs/ETLs by trying to get them to focus more on doing TM work than their own work. This is especially true when it comes to TLs. For example, one year when I was writing about 20 reviews (anyone who is a TL knows how many hours that takes), I had a TM at the boat who felt like I was supposed to cover the boat and that by being in clerical I "wasn't working". He intentionally told ETLs on several different days that I was slacking off and not doing my job. Little did he know those ETLs knew I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing, and they let me know what he was trying to do. He failed, but a lot of TMs pull the same kind of thing and the ETLs actually fall for it.

When closing, there is so much more than just getting the store straightened for an LOD. What may seem like someone simply sitting at TSC drinking coffee, may in reality be someone trying to fill a shift for tomorrow, or planning out the next couple of days workload or any number of other things. I honestly think way too much time is spent by everyone wondering if the next person is doing what they should be. The LOD is looking at the total store and what needs to be done, not just for that evening but for many days to come. The workload they have is much larger than most team members realize. Paperwork, captainships, development of themselves and their teams, process rollouts, ,meetings to get ready for, and so much more takes alot of time. Some LODs are more hands on than the others, but the job still gets done. It is no different than having some team members who can zone really well but their guest service skills are sketchy, and others who really suck at zone but can deliver terrific service. simply put the LOD is the conducter and the team is the orchestra.

But that thing about radio-ing you ever 20 minutes to see your status on the zone...we have lods that do that exact thing during ad setup...and since our ad setup team is autonymous and experienced enough to set the ad up without being assigned to an area and checked up on, it's like that particular LOD may as well not even do it. I know it may keep some people on pace, and that the LOD is doing more than just monitoring the ad setup routine, but there's more to being a good LOD than that.

But that thing about radio-ing you ever 20 minutes to see your status on the zone...we have lods that do that exact thing during ad setup...and since our ad setup team is autonymous and experienced enough to set the ad up without being assigned to an area and checked up on, it's like that particular LOD may as well not even do it. I know it may keep some people on pace, and that the LOD is doing more than just monitoring the ad setup routine, but there's more to being a good LOD than that.

Actually there is a damn good reason they radio for the status of the ad takedown.

As a TL, I did the same thing. Why? Because I needed to constantly be up to date on the most accurate ETA possible for completion of takedown in order to get an idea of where we would stand on the zone/stray. If it looked like ad was going to be done on time, I might direct the hard lines team that was not doing takedown to work on both stray/zone. If, however, it looked like takedown was going to take a long time - possibly even past close - then I might direct the hard lines team to only work zone. Without being kept up to date on takedown, I didn't know how to direct the rest of the team on the closing priorities.

The fact is - you have to keep up to date on the status of the takedown every 20 mins or so because honestly no one knows how long it might take. The takedown team might have an ass load of signs in MMB, consumables, and health in beauty in which damn near everything has a sign that needs to be taken down. Or it could be one of those weeks that most of the ad is in furniture or electronics/toys and much less needs to come down. Yea, you can kind of guess how many signs are out there on the floor that need to come down, but really don't know until you are out there doing it. Even the printed takedown report can be misleading because it can look light/heavy and not actually be that way. (or lazy TMs scanned in a bunch of signs and never actually set them, in which case it might look like a monster take down but actually not be that bad) You just don't know until the takedown is underway.

Some weeks I would radio the person in health and beauty and ask the status of takedown. They might be on A5. Then I radio them 30 mins later and they are on A20. Some weeks, however, they might be on A5 when I first radio and then 30 mins later they are in C10. In other words, there is massive time difference on takedown on some weeks.

The LOD has to deal with situations that require the presence of an LOD (angry guests, specialty area checkoffs, 239, etc.), so i can't imagine they have a whole lot of time to get their hands dirty... Usually everyone wants them at once.

Like SoT said, theyre the highest authority in the building, so they should be almost exclusively leading the team.

Very good answers to all that replied!

I can tell you that when I am LOD I am either constantly zoning end caps, or taking on a section of a department. I usually Zone Towels, Paper and usually a section of Ready To Wear. Do I have to do this... Absolutely not, but I feel its important to establish that relationship with the team. One of my ETL's will literally sit down in his office for his entire LOD shift. Total lazy a$$. I aspire NOT to be like him....

You must be one of the favorite LODs in your store. Many TMs like leaders that they can work with rather than work for. My STL does the same thing when she's the closing LOD - she checks up on us to see how we're doing and helps out in each zone. I was in hardlines the other night when she was closing and we got the entire store zoned. Mind you, we did have more sales floor TMs scheduled than usual and the re-shop barely got touched, but it was still a big deal because it rarely happens.

Actually there is a damn good reason they radio for the status of the ad takedown.

As a TL, I did the same thing. Why? Because I needed to constantly be up to date on the most accurate ETA possible for completion of takedown in order to get an idea of where we would stand on the zone/stray. If it looked like ad was going to be done on time, I might direct the hard lines team that was not doing takedown to work on both stray/zone. If, however, it looked like takedown was going to take a long time - possibly even past close - then I might direct the hard lines team to only work zone. Without being kept up to date on takedown, I didn't know how to direct the rest of the team on the closing priorities.

The fact is - you have to keep up to date on the status of the takedown every 20 mins or so because honestly no one knows how long it might take. The takedown team might have an ass load of signs in MMB, consumables, and health in beauty in which damn near everything has a sign that needs to be taken down. Or it could be one of those weeks that most of the ad is in furniture or electronics/toys and much less needs to come down. Yea, you can kind of guess how many signs are out there on the floor that need to come down, but really don't know until you are out there doing it. Even the printed takedown report can be misleading because it can look light/heavy and not actually be that way. (or lazy TMs scanned in a bunch of signs and never actually set them, in which case it might look like a monster take down but actually not be that bad) You just don't know until the takedown is underway.

Some weeks I would radio the person in health and beauty and ask the status of takedown. They might be on A5. Then I radio them 30 mins later and they are on A20. Some weeks, however, they might be on A5 when I first radio and then 30 mins later they are in C10. In other words, there is massive time difference on takedown on some weeks.

sounds like you had a plan and knew what you were doing. At our store, some weeks we are massively short handed and there aren't even people to move around and toggle to the problem areas. But the LOD still interrupts you every twenty minutes...

lod "Invictustaylor, how much progress have you made in section a over these last 5 minutes?"

me "Goddammit, let me quit scanning in ad, and go over to my ad box so I can tell you we are still short handed and won't have it all up by 8!"

lod "just remember though that..."

me "yep yep yep yep all scanned in by 8...had that down 4 years ago, you didn't work at the company back then."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back