Archived Mandatory charitable donation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I would donate money to is the employee assistance program. That way people I actually know are getting the $ they need.

Spot has one for team members only now. Basically, employee assistance program.
Are there any more details on this? My team never got the UW huddle this year but our ETL vaguely mentioned this and how it's so great that "Target is helping team members," but didn't mention that the company itself is contributing to it or matching donations or anything. If they are I might do it, but if it's basically just TMs helping ourselves I'd rather put the money into savings since I won't have to "apply" and "qualify" to get that money back. Plus my store's TMs have been really good at coming together to help out other TMs in times of need, wonderfully.

Are there any more details on this? My team never got the UW huddle this year but our ETL vaguely mentioned this and how it's so great that "Target is helping team members," but didn't mention that the company itself is contributing to it or matching donations or anything. If they are I might do it, but if it's basically just TMs helping ourselves I'd rather put the money into savings since I won't have to "apply" and "qualify" to get that money back. Plus my store's TMs have been really good at coming together to help out other TMs in times of need, wonderfully.
The team member giving fund is basically just something you can donate to where team members can apply for a monetary grant if they are in a time of need. Target is matching the donations to the team member giving fund up to $500k this year.

If spot wants to donate, they are welcome to. Set whatever the F goal they want. Leave me the F out of it. Fucking PR bullshit

Last year, a United Way spokesman came to visit in huddles. It was ironic that he talked about our donations and the poverty line for a family of four being under 50K a year. And then using that to justify that we can all afford to donate a few coffee's worth of money. How can you come into a retail job, and criticize spending habits, when most average TMs aren't even making half of the 50k you referenced? Whether it's factually correct or not, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It feels so predatory. Charity is great, give when you can. But I don't support anything through Target.

I havc successfully dodged HR's attempts so far. How long does this "event" last?

moot point. its not mandatory.

Actually it is, be it you give money or not.. They force you to sign that you refuse.. That is mandatory.

They are welcome to try to get blood from me.. I charge a lot for that, cause I actually know what its worth..

Actually it is, be it you give money or not.. They force you to sign that you refuse.. That is mandatory.

They are welcome to try to get blood from me.. I charge a lot for that, cause I actually know what its worth..

Thats not what was implied in the post I responded to.

Definitely not mandatory, they just try to guilt trip you into donating. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to. You just have to sign the form, stating you don’t wish to donate.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, just how much is the goal?
The Goal is different per Store with the Goal per year being trying to beat the Prior Years Goal. They normally do. My Store as a AA+ Plus had a Goal of 5K and we hit it.

The other important thing of note that I don't. Actually know a lot about but hopefully someone HR related here does know the details about is that this Year Target has a new "Team Member Assistance" Charity or something along those lines you can donate to instead of United way it advertises that it is supposed to help Team Members who are on hard times. While it is, Mildly entertaining a multi Million dollar company is asking their Employee's to donate their Money so they can in turn donate it to their Co-Workers who aren't receiving enough to get by. It is really cool and I personally decided to donate to them this Year along with the United Way as I was in pretty hard times not so long ago and my Team at my Store helped me as much as they could but, There was only so much they could personally do so I, Really hope that the Charity actually works and is able to help people who need it.

A group of older TMs said they refused to donate to UW after the local chapter dropped a few agencies that were hugely popular.
When they signed the card saying they refused to donate, HR tried to guilt-trip them until they brought in letters acknowledging their donations to the dropped agencies.
Pretty awesome in my book.

Last year, a United Way spokesman came to visit in huddles. It was ironic that he talked about our donations and the poverty line for a family of four being under 50K a year. And then using that to justify that we can all afford to donate a few coffee's worth of money. How can you come into a retail job, and criticize spending habits, when most average TMs aren't even making half of the 50k you referenced? Whether it's factually correct or not, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It feels so predatory. Charity is great, give when you can. But I don't support anything through Target.

I haven't had any UW people at Target but they showed up at Walmart when I was there one year and gave us this same spiel. A fuck ton of Walmart associates are drawing food stamps so it was about as well received as a positive HIV test. The UW chick was all snotty like "Heh, first world problems amirite?" Fuck outta here with that.

I donate just 50 cents every paycheck. 50 cents isn't shit to me and it's the minimum donation allowed. It'd be different if that meant a tax break.

I donate just 50 cents every paycheck. 50 cents isn't shit to me and it's the minimum donation allowed. It'd be different if that meant a tax break.

At other jobs I've worked at, they give you suggestions of what to donate, and you just check a box. The options usually being a few cents, to a few dollars. Target's form let's you pick an amount with no suggestions. I bet people don't donate, because they have no idea how little they can actually do. They probably think they're supposed to do a lot. I hate that ambivalence.

They way she spoke about it, she made it sound mandatory.

Does this type of pressure to donate happen in other stores? And if so, will it come back to hurt me if I chose not to donate?

Like others have said, mandatory to fill out the form but not mandatory to donate. I don't know about other stores but I don't pressure anyone to donate if they absolutely cannot afford to do so. It will not come back to hurt you if you choose not to donate.

I like the donation thing purely because you can have your donations go to someone else that's not United Way (there is an option on the back of the card). You can have your donation(s) go to a local organization or something like the SPCA.

Same. I always make sure to put down the name of a specific non-profit organization that I support because I personally don't want to donate to United Way.

I donate just 50 cents every paycheck.

Yeah, between $0.50-$1 per paycheck is a good, affordable amount.

100% participation is the goal - and just checking off the "thanks but no thanks" box counts as participation in the sense that you acknowledge being given the opportunity. Making a contribution is definitely NOT mandatory.
That said, I like that I can direct my contribution toward an organization in my neighborhood so I do it. If that wasn't an option, probably wouldn't. Although I lowered my contribution amount since my pay amount was lowered with the drop in hours.

The team member giving fund is basically just something you can donate to where team members can apply for a monetary grant if they are in a time of need. Target is matching the donations to the team member giving fund up to $500k this year.
I heard something about Target donating money to cover the overhead of this TM giving fund... Can anyone confirm that? Would that be in addition to the matched donations money?

10,000 keks at a GRANT program for "team members in time of need"...what if I told you this could be addressed without a 3rd party charity, say maybe with more hours and benefits???? Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds it extra contemptible that a corporation literally badgers its own employees into donating to a fund to "help" people with money problems caused by the corporation's own avarice? Fuckin gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back