Archived Mandatory charitable donation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KLC391

I was at a morning meeting this weekend (the first time I have attended one) and the manager reminded everyone to make sure they stopped by her office so they could sign a United Way form. I didn’t know what she was talking about so I asked and she explained that it was a form allowing a deduction of .50 to be taken from our paycheck and donated to United Way. She then told us that we had a goal of xxx amount and we were almost there so be sure to go sign the form.

They way she spoke about it, she made it sound mandatory.

Does this type of pressure to donate happen in other stores? And if so, will it come back to hurt me if I chose not to donate?

It is absolutely not mandatory and nothing will happen if you don't. They pester us with the sign up forms every year but I've always opted out. I usually get in a hilarious quip like "Target should donate to me lol"

It is pretty shady of them to make it sound like it is mandatory though.

It's pretty much mandatory to sign the form, but you absolutely do not have to donate. There is a goal for each store and she (hopefully) was just suggesting a small donation of $.50/paycheck.

Everyone donates differently, Its not Mandatory and if she attempts to force you to Donate call the Hotline, Its your right to opt out of Donating and there is a box on the Form to do so. Signing the Form even if you don't want to Donate however is Mandatory.

Last year my HR team chased everyone down to fill out a pledge card. I've heard HRTL approach a couple softlines people but nobody has come to me yet.

Last year my HR team chased everyone down to fill out a pledge card. I've heard HRTL approach a couple softlines people but nobody has come to me yet.

Yes, was chased down by HR to turn in my card, however, no pressure to donate.

HR Teams are expected to have 100% participation, nothing less. That is why their chasing TM’s down on the floor to ensure they get the pledge card signed by the end of the month when the campaign is over. However, it is NOT required to donate and when TM’s sign their pledge card I don’t put any pressure, and even inform them sometimes most people don’t donate. That is why we use other tactics like games, bake sales, and raffles to meet our goal.

*Do not listen if they say it is required to donate either by deduction or one time cash* That is a total lie and if they try to force call the hotline, and I’m sure they’ll back off!!

I don't care for how much united way spends on over head and advertisement which leaves very little left for actual aid, so I stopped donating. We do the bake sale thing though so I have no problem spending several dollars for that. I am supporting those who support UW. :)

I was at a morning meeting this weekend (the first time I have attended one) and the manager reminded everyone to make sure they stopped by her office so they could sign a United Way form. I didn’t know what she was talking about so I asked and she explained that it was a form allowing a deduction of .50 to be taken from our paycheck and donated to United Way. She then told us that we had a goal of xxx amount and we were almost there so be sure to go sign the form.

They way she spoke about it, she made it sound mandatory.

Does this type of pressure to donate happen in other stores? And if so, will it come back to hurt me if I chose not to donate?

Its mandatory to fill out the form but not give a donation.

I like the donation thing purely because you can have your donations go to someone else that's not United Way (there is an option on the back of the card). You can have your donation(s) go to a local organization or something like the SPCA.

You can have your donation(s) go to a local organization or something like the SPCA.
That'll make up for all that guilt over all those puppies and kittens I've beaten this year!

We are suppose to fill it out even if we aren’t contributing there’s a box to check stating you don’t wish to at this time

You have to sign the form. On the back page, you can choose another charity. Also, you can do a 1 time payment, too.
Spot has one for team members only now. Basically, employee assistance program.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, just how much is the goal?
Theres a website. Mygiving i think it is. It has your stores goal.

Also if you volunteer somewhere tell your HR so they can enter your hours. Each store has goal hours too and that would be super helpful (and doesn't cost anything).

It’s slow for hr right now. I mean between making the fun calendar for July and coffee not much else going on. so they will track you down to sign the form I put no donation at this time.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, just how much is the goal?
We have a poster up with dollar goal and participation percent and how we are doing on both. It looks like something that was sent to all of the stores.

I like the donation thing purely because you can have your donations go to someone else that's not United Way (there is an option on the back of the card). You can have your donation(s) go to a local organization or something like the SPCA.
And they get the whole amount, with UW not getting any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back