Archived mass firing at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday 4 flow members were fired and 3 were written up after some customer complained about inappropriate conversations in front of kids .

has something like this happened in your store?

A customer complained because the softlines crew were having very inappropriate conversations in front of guests but AFAIK they only got coached, no firings.

the reason the 4 were fired because they are new , hired in the last 4-6 weeks . the other 3 have been working for over 6 months ...

Seasonals can be let go at anytime. Sometimes stores overhire for the holidays, and they will use any excuse to fire the overload.

^as is mine. There were 6 interviews waiting when I clocked out today.

A couple flow TMs got canned last year for inappropriate conversation. Our previous ETL wiped out half of the unload team after they left a fully loaded trailer in a "walkout" type of thing. The store immediately started doing walk in interviews, that's how I got hired.

Our STL is a stickler with inappropriate conversations at work. If it's front of guests, it's an immediate write-up and possibly termination if you're under your 90 days. If it isn't in front of guests (like in the break room), you still get coached for it and written up if it's the second occurrence.

Our STL is a stickler with inappropriate conversations at work. If it's front of guests, it's an immediate write-up and possibly termination if you're under your 90 days. If it isn't in front of guests (like in the break room), you still get coached for it and written up if it's the second occurrence.

Heh. Me and a ETL had a lengthy conversation about selling the backroom team as slaves as part of a human trafficking movement so we could kill two birds with one stone, make profit, and get a competent BR Team. I imagine your STL would have been really impressed by that conversation.

We haven't had a mass firing . However, several team members ( I am sure there are others, I just don't know about them) have recently been pulled in the office and coached. Seems now if a etl says good morning and you simply reply...with a good morning...that can be deemed not being friendly . However, they can walk all over you and chose not to speak and that's ok

If it isn't in front of guests (like in the break room), you still get coached for it and written up if it's the second occurrence.
Writing someone up (or even a verbal coaching) while on their break is illegal. If it's in the backroom and they're working then that could happen, but if a team member is on their break...no. If someone gets written up for a conversation in the break room the state labor department/hotline should be called.

Wow, did not know that. I was told point blank by the STL that swearing in the break room is a coaching and/or write-up.

If it isn't in front of guests (like in the break room), you still get coached for it and written up if it's the second occurrence.
Writing someone up (or even a verbal coaching) while on their break is illegal. If it's in the backroom and they're working then that could happen, but if a team member is on their break...no. If someone gets written up for a conversation in the break room the state labor department/hotline should be called.

The only argument they might be able to get away with is the "creating a hostile work environment".
So even if you are off the clock you are still in the building and people around you are being made to feel 'uncomfortable' by what you're saying.
Of course, they need to document this but the bar is set pretty low.

Not sure how anyone was that stupid. When you scan the damn things it prompts you asking to verify a paper coupon was scanned.

To be instantly terminated you have to either be in your 90 days, season hire(in which case you're just let go) or do something like stealing from the till. There is way to much paperwork otherwise to avoid being sued.

31 TMs fired in 2 weeks due to misuse of the apology coupon on their phones.
What is that?

Coupons you can scan to give $3 off for the guest if you make them wait too long or screw up something. Someone took a picture of one and then sent it to other TMs and people were using it like crazy. Management didn't really say anything through the whole ordeal so some of us thought they were staying silent to clean house. It did work though.... got rid of most of the dead weight.

31 TMs fired in 2 weeks due to misuse of the apology coupon on their phones.
What is that?

Coupons you can scan to give $3 off for the guest if you make them wait too long or screw up something. Someone took a picture of one and then sent it to other TMs and people were using it like crazy. Management didn't really say anything through the whole ordeal so some of us thought they were staying silent to clean house. It did work though.... got rid of most of the dead weight.
That is the AP MO. Give you just all the rope you need to hang yourself with. They'll just keep waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back