Archived Merit raises and bottom line increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to challenge their raise to keep it on top of the company-wide increase?
I've been with the company for about 3 years, and every raise has been cannibalized. I'm not typically one to complain about making more money, but I should be looking at another $1.50ish that I'm not seeing

The $15.00 sounds really good, but I'm guessing that TMs will only be getting 15 to 20 hours a week.....not much different than now....15 hours and $11.00....doesn't pay the bills.
So, the $15.00 in 2020 will end up much the same as it is now.

Has anyone been able to challenge their raise to keep it on top of the company-wide increase?
I've been with the company for about 3 years, and every raise has been cannibalized. I'm not typically one to complain about making more money, but I should be looking at another $1.50ish that I'm not seeing

I have been with target for 16 years, my raises will be cannibalized when we go to $12 so welcome to the club.....

Did anyone else get a raise early January? Apparently according to what I heard "everyone" got what I got but the few TMs I dare mention my raise to say they had no raise and of course the STL told me not to speak about it but I know that's not illegal. Is that a ploy to have me not talk about it? Kind of a bad tactic saying everyone is getting it. I was cautious to mention it to my TMs.

The $15.00 sounds really good, but I'm guessing that TMs will only be getting 15 to 20 hours a week.....not much different than now....15 hours and $11.00....doesn't pay the bills.
So, the $15.00 in 2020 will end up much the same as it is now.
I feel like TLs have this culture of favoritism. Works if you are cool with them. Sucks if the TL sees you as a worker bee and not a "favorite" so to speak. Also helps if your HR gives a fuck about anything.

Did anyone else get a raise early January? Apparently according to what I heard "everyone" got what I got but the few TMs I dare mention my raise to say they had no raise and of course the STL told me not to speak about it but I know that's not illegal. Is that a ploy to have me not talk about it? Kind of a bad tactic saying everyone is getting it. I was cautious to mention it to my TMs.

Not here.

Also, discussions among coworkers about wages and benefits may be legally protected speech, as long as you are not employed by the government or in a supervisory position. Its referred to as "concerted activity". Google the National Labor Relations Act.

Yeah we all got bumped to 11 if we were under 11 so new hires got a dollar raise while others who have been there for years got 10 cents, 20 cents whatever just to get them to 11 while losing our merits. We pretty much figured its gonna happen again with the 12 dollar start pay which sucks for those of us who have been there and make exactly the same as new hires. Guess we will have to see how it goes this time around.

I love that after 11 years with the company, I'm going to be making the same as new hires. (I started at $8/hour)

I'm currently making about $.70 more than new hires at the moment.

I'll share that I've been with the company between 5-10 years. Due to the starting wage bump ups, I make about 25 cents more than a new hire but 25 cents LESS than the 16 year olds we hire with no experience for softlines.
Just ran an orientation a few weeks ago with 4 minors, all with NO PREVIOUS JOB EXPERIENCE who all make more than me. (All hired for softlines.)

Curious to see what happens with the new minimums. Those 16 year olds will probably make 50 cents more an hour than me because my raise will be wiped out again.

I'll share that I've been with the company between 5-10 years. Due to the starting wage bump ups, I make about 25 cents more than a new hire but 25 cents LESS than the 16 year olds we hire with no experience for softlines.
Just ran an orientation a few weeks ago with 4 minors, all with NO PREVIOUS JOB EXPERIENCE who all make more than me. (All hired for softlines.)

Curious to see what happens with the new minimums. Those 16 year olds will probably make 50 cents more an hour than me because my raise will be wiped out again.

We are all wondering that too, why does softlines make more than hardlines when we stock and clean most of the store?

We are all wondering that too, why does softlines make more than hardlines when we stock and clean most of the store?
Spot wants more TM's motivated to work in Apparel because at the moment Target's edge over Amazon is the fact that you can't virtually try on clothes, at least very accurately. Everything else Spot does Amazon can do, and undoubtedly online shopping will only increase and not go backwards.

A lot of things Spot does is in the name of staying competitive with Amazon.

Spot wants more TM's motivated to work in Apparel because at the moment Target's edge over Amazon is the fact that you can't virtually try on clothes, at least very accurately. Everything else Spot does Amazon can do, and undoubtedly online shopping will only increase and not go backwards.

A lot of things Spot does is in the name of staying competitive with Amazon.

Makes sense but makes us hardline tms not want to be as motivated since its unfair.. Still sucks though when you're busting your butt and see softlines hanging out and talking all day by the fitting room. We've told management, they don't care lol. Meanwhile we are running around getting all the calls they put on hold and doing hours of pulls and reshop. I've worked in softlines here and there so I get it's hard as well. Just seems like we are being punished because amazon exists.

I think that the idea with softlines is that they have to have "more training" to do the work that they do. They need to know how to salvage things out, know how to backstock, they need to know how the retrieve backstock, they need to know how to set planograms and how to remerchandise. I think that this is something that all departments need to know, but for some reason softlines is different and that is why they get the big bucks.

You should tell your ETL that running orientation is above your paygrade.

We are ONLY hiring those w/ previous A&A experience. That's WHY we offer a higher pay rate...... we are paying for "talent". Either your store is desperate to fill the positions...... or they like shooting themselves in the foot. And while I think it's important that they have experience.... it's also no excuse to "waive" their training. We have a few newbies (4+weeks) that still haven't finished their A&A Training yet.

I'm salesfloor and I know how to pull pogs,research, and cafs, I know how to backstock, ship from store and in store pick up, I know how to research, zone and back up cashier, price change and salvage, do resets and plano.. At our store softlines takes anything that's salvage to guest service.. I get it's weird in softlines to planogram and stuff but not any harder knowing what all I know and most of the hardlines tms know to merit them making more

I think that the idea with softlines is that they have to have "more training" to do the work that they do. They need to know how to salvage things out, know how to backstock, they need to know how the retrieve backstock, they need to know how to set planograms and how to remerchandise. I think that this is something that all departments need to know, but for some reason softlines is different and that is why they get the big bucks.

I'm only telling you this crap because this is what I've gotten from HR & STL.

You should tell your ETL that running orientation is above your paygrade.
I have tried. "It's now your role." My ETL hasn't done an orientation in over a year. My STL also supports me doing orientations so I can't go to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back