Mezzanine, Sorter

Awesome Amazon GIF by Bike-Discount

Last edited:
What exactly is an iott and why does it stop the mezz? Item on tilt tray?
So the carton was suppose to come off the tray on the sorter when it tilted to go down a chute and for whatever reason it didn't and is still on the tray.

So its still stuck on the tilted tray, maybe it got stuck (clear plastic wrapped stuff sticks all the time), maybe something got wedged between two trays. Maybe the tray broke off its mount.

The sorter has whiskers that all around it that bend backwards when the item then hits one and triggers an e-stop on the sorter.

Then one of the mezz guys needs to check and make sure there's nothing wrong with the sorter and the trays and fix it then hit a reset. If it happens a second time they're suppose to contact E&F.

You also can have IOCs which are worse because something got stuck under the tray and that's where things can go really bad.

So the carton was suppose to come off the tray on the sorter when it tilted to go down a chute and for whatever reason it didn't and is still on the tray.

So its still stuck on the tilted tray, maybe it got stuck (clear plastic wrapped stuff sticks all the time), maybe something got wedged between two trays. Maybe the tray broke off its mount.

The sorter has whiskers that all around it that bend backwards when the item then hits one and triggers an e-stop on the sorter.

Then one of the mezz guys needs to check and make sure there's nothing wrong with the sorter and the trays and fix it then hit a reset. If it happens a second time they're suppose to contact E&F.

You also can have IOCs which are worse because something got stuck under the tray and that's where things can go really bad.
The “whiskers“ that @Hal is referring to aren’t actually whiskers. They are a one wire sensor that will bend to trip the automation that way the situation doesn’t end up worse. It’s a safety net. We want our data to be immaculate.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info Hal! I enjoy understanding the whole process. Can an IOC be fixed by a mezz person or is that a job for fac ops?

What's the difference?
E and F has to shut off the power when doing a wedge out. Only the E and F SOM can stop the power. I would only call E and F for a wedge out. For IOT, IOTTS I would inspect the wire and tray myself and if it looked good I would just restart it via the red button.

Last edited:
E and F has to shut off the power when doing a wedge out. Only the E and F SOM can stop the power. I would only call E and F for a wedge out. For IOT, IOTTS I would inspect the wire and tray myself and if it looked good I would just restart it via the red button. I was trained by the most experienced mezz team. I started the strata on my old account that I had deleted RWTM. 😉 thanks for making this thread my most viewed thread on the break room!
What happens when the E&F SOM isnt in the building and there is a wedge out? 🤔

We all go home
Tell that to my SOM and PC. Had the sorter go down on monday due to a wedge which in turned caused a breaker to mess up. It went down at 1030PM and they didn't decide to send people home until 4AM. Let's just say a lot of money was lost

Tell that to my SOM and PC. Had the sorter go down on monday due to a wedge which in turned caused a breaker to mess up. It went down at 1030PM and they didn't decide to send people home until 4AM. Let's just say a lot of money was lost
I mean from a financial standpoint it’s not the best decision sure. But from a worker perspective? If every time the sorter went down for a while we sent people home we’d lose people left and right

Also they probably needed authorization to send people home from people who were sound asleep at home

I mean from a financial standpoint it’s not the best decision sure. But from a worker perspective? If every time the sorter went down for a while we sent people home we’d lose people left and right

Also they probably needed authorization to send people home from people who were sound asleep at home
We have a 4 hour time frame as to when production comes to a stop. If production can't be resumed at 4 hours it's always been to cut shift. We don't send people home every time the sorter went down but we used to after 4 hours. After 2 hours they had the SE and the E&F SOM on a conference call. IB couldn't throw anymore and our BL was growing by the hour. They kept people who were literally standing around doing nothing. Keep people standing around and they are going to leave on their own will.

At my DC a wedge error is usually a fix that will get the sorter back up in about 15mins to maybe an hour.
But how can they fix it if the E&F SOM isnt in the building? 3801 Jonathan "Ryley" C. says ONLY the E&F SOM can turn off the power (a required step to fix a wedge out).
And you see, JRC NEVER lies. Especially not lies that end up getting his father arrested.

Last edited:
But how can they fix it if the E&F SOM isnt in the building? 3801 Jonathan "Riley" C. says ONLY the E&F SOM can turn off the power (a required step to fix a wedge out).
And you see, JRC NEVER lies. Especially not lies that end up getting his father arrested.
Because of how "great" communication is in my building it gets done to the extent that it almost never happened

There's also two different wedge errors. Wedge (not?) out and wedge (not?) in. I never remember which one is the bad one.

One happens naturally after the sorter has had so many preprogrammed revolutions that it triggers the error for E&F to check the sensors and whiskers around the sorter. That's usually the 15 minute fix.

The other is the really bad one that shuts it down for hours. I haven't been in outbound for a hot minute so I don't remember what triggers it, but usually it requires the mechs to take portions of the sorter apart to fix.

There's also two different wedge errors. Wedge (not?) out and wedge (not?) in. I never remember which one is the bad one.

One happens naturally after the sorter has had so many preprogrammed revolutions that it triggers the error for E&F to check the sensors and whiskers around the sorter. That's usually the 15 minute fix.

The other is the really bad one that shuts it down for hours. I haven't been in outbound for a hot minute so I don't remember what triggers it, but usually it requires the mechs to take portions of the sorter apart to fix.
I think the wedge not out is the 15 min one. I only say that because I believe that's the most common one I've seen. What happened with the sorter at my building was waaay more than a wedge. It took 11 hours and parts from another building to get it back up an running. I think the wedge not in is when the physical wedge breaks. I had a mechanic show me exactly how it works. Don't quote me tho but I am gonna ask come this Saturday.

I think the wedge not out is the 15 min one. I only say that because I believe that's the most common one I've seen. What happened with the sorter at my building was waaay more than a wedge. It took 11 hours and parts from another building to get it back up an running. I think the wedge not in is when the physical wedge breaks. I had a mechanic show me exactly how it works. Don't quote me tho but I am gonna ask come this Saturday.
An experienced mechanic can have a wedge replaced within 30 minutes. Usually though you see downtimes of around 40 to 50 minutes. I haven’t been on the mezz in a year though.

That’s what I’m referring to when I say wedge out @Hal. E and F has to assess every IOTT, IOT, and idk anymore which could run 15 mins. We used to be able to assess it ourselves and if it was bad we would then get E and F up there.

Our mezz has taken a beaten. But she still runs. Zing zing bang bang clank clack smack reject jam alarm 📢. IB LEAD you got a copy, A Sort here. Gone ahead and throw that fifth UDC all at the same time! 💪🏻 These lines are bare up here….

Last edited:
Back