Mezzanine, Sorter

Does it cost anything to reinstate a carton? I’ve heard it cost $70 to reprint a label?

Last edited:
There is no actual cost to reinstate.

What they are referring to is a labor cost for preforming an action that should be unnecessary. It's a defect that shouldn't have occurred.

Does it cost anything to reinstate a carton? I’ve heard it cost $70 to reprint a label? Everyone on B-Keys seem to only reinstate while manning the reject line…
Wow, if that was the case there would be certain sections of the building that cost the company thousands per day. In one of my positions I reprint labels and reinstate like it's going out of style.

Yep seems stupid. Hey no don't quickly reprint that label that you can scan! Take everything down from the mezz and send it to rework. Go into merchandise tracking and then SNK or whatever the jump code is add another label and throw it on the conveyor so it can go back up to the mezz again.

Yep seems stupid. Hey no don't quickly reprint that label that you can scan! Take everything down from the mezz and send it to rework. Go into merchandise tracking and then SNK or whatever the jump code is add another label and throw it on the conveyor so it can go back up to the mezz again.
What is SNK? Anything with a S is shipping jump codes.

Last edited:
You mean we can just send the labels that need to be re-printed off a UDC boxes back over to inbound problem area?! Just have them do the re-printing for their own stuff…?
What are you doing about UDC boxes they have multiple labels on them? Target reuses the UDC boxes over and over. They will be completely covered in old purged labels and the new mezz cameras are too precise… they will pick up all those old labels and reject those boxes. We have just been putting blank labels over the old labels but it is time consuming. We aren’t allowed to use the label markers either. Can we send back UDC boxes that are like completely destroyed to IB for RW as well?
Can we make a cage specifically for IB-RW and coordinate with them to have their own mezz drop? WH already has a lot of cages being dropped and they are already busy enough. They shouldn’t have to drop inbounds rework also…

Last edited:
You mean we can just send the labels that need to be re-printed off a UDC boxes back over to inbound problem area?! Just have them do the re-printing for their own stuff…?
What are you doing about UDC boxes they have multiple labels on them? Target reuses the UDC boxes over and over. They will be completely covered in old purged labels and the new mezz cameras are too precise… they will pick up all those old labels and reject those boxes. We have just been putting blank labels over the old labels but it is time consuming. We aren’t allowed to use the label markers either. Can we send back UDC boxes that are like completely destroyed to IB for RW as well?
Can we make a cage specifically for IB-RW and coordinate with them to have their own mezz drop? WH already has a lot of cages being dropped and they are already busy enough. They shouldn’t have to drop inbounds rework also…
Sorry about the many inquiries in one post. Just really wanting to know how other DC’s perform.

Yes in my DC IB Problem Area is responsible for grabbing all UDC cartons with label issues and reprinting them so that the reprints are attached to IBs stats and not OB.

Yes in my DC IB Problem Area is responsible for grabbing all UDC cartons with label issues and reprinting them so that the reprints are attached to IBs stats and not OB
Thanks for the feedback. This is new information.

What is SNK? Anything with a S is shipping jump codes.

I haven't done it enough to really know all the terms used but here's what we're doing.
Labels won't go through sort so they sort them on pallets and each dept gets their own. If the barcode is eligible no need to merch track. Slap those labels that have the store numbers on it and use SNK(I think that's the jump code) to associate it with the upc on the label. It's the same labels you use in the damage cage when you IMA the good shit in breakpack boxes to send to stores. I take it that's called a udc label? Throw it on the conveyors and the sorter takes care of it.

Last edited:
I haven't done it enough to really know all the terms used but here's what we're doing.
Labels won't go through sort so they sort them on pallets and each dept gets their own. If the barcode is eligible no need to merch track. Slap those labels that have the store numbers on it and use SNK(I think that's the jump code) to associate it with the upc on the label. It's the same labels you use in the damage cage when you IMA the good shit in breakpack boxes to send to stores. I take it that's called a udc label? Throw it on the conveyors and the sorter takes care of it.
I have no idea what you’re trying to say but ty for the reply

Yes in my DC IB Problem Area is responsible for grabbing all UDC cartons with label issues and reprinting them so that the reprints are attached to IBs stats and not OB.
Can’t the sorter just use R05 as a reason code and achieve the same result?

The reject line TM already has too much RW to do. It should just go back to IB in a cage when the drop is performed nightly. Plus half the TM’s that are up there have no idea what a reason code is let alone reprint. The TM operating the sorter shouldn’t be leaving that computer and should be catching side by sides.

Last edited:
Imma run this by my OM/SOM

The reject line TM already has too much RW to do. It should just go back to IB in a cage when the drop is performed nightly. Plus half the TM’s that are up there have no idea what a reason code is.
We call Problem area to come pick them up as the UDC finishes to try and avoid just leaving them for the next shift.

We call Problem area to come pick them up as the UDC finishes to try and avoid just leaving them for the next shift.
How do you tell when one UDC finishes and another begins? IB tries to be sneaky and will try to throw 3 UDC’S at a time. At start up when my OM goes over the plan he states we will take 3 UDCs for that day. I just start to laugh in my head. I go back and look through old shift reports and it turns out my key runs the most UDC’S out of any key. 💪🏻😒

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to decipher any of the walkie talkie codes? Asking for a friend

How do you tell when one UDC finishes and another begins? IB sneaky and will try to throw 3 UDC’S at a time. At start up my OM saying well take 3 UDCs while going over the plans for that day and I just laugh in my head. I go back and look through old shift reports and my key runs the most UDC’S out of any key. 😒
We have developed a pretty good line of communication with IB regarding throwing UDCs. But honestly it isn't that hard to tell once they are done in my opinion.

Do you take more than one UDC at a time? How do you know if one is done and another is starting?
Must be nice having good communication with that dept. I’ve tried to form a line of communication with IB when I’m up on the mezz but a few things started to happen 1) If I mention anything about how IB can throw more UDC’S because the mezz can handle it my TM’s will throw a fit and will not do anything. 2) When we ask IB to stop throwing UDC’S because the mezz is backing up they never listen (a lot of the times this is the product of example 1) ). I feel for the new TM’s who recently have been trained on the mezz because they have no idea what’s going on. There’s a lot of sneaky sneaky going on and these poor new trainees have no idea what their in store for.

Last edited:
Do you take more than one UDC at a time? How do you know if one is done and another is finishing? Lol
Must be nice having good communication with that dept. I’ve tried to form a line of communication with IB when I’m up on the mezz but a few things started happening… 1) If I menetiom anything about how IB can throw more UDC’S because the mezz can handle it my TM’s will throw a fit and not do anything. 2) When we ask IB to stop throwing UDC’S because the mezz is backing up they never listen (a lot of the times this is the product of example 1) ) A fellow TM who now works closely with IB showed me the ropes. I feel for the new TM’s who recently have just gotten trained up there because they have no idea what’s going on. There’s a lot of sneaky sneaky up there and these poor new trainees have no idea what their in store for.
Not sure how common it is but my RDC acts as a pass-through for the UDC and a fulfillment center. On average 50% of our UDC cartons are headed for a single door. The whole system quickly backs up if we are getting slammed by a UDC and are closing that door, so we have developed over the past few years good communication with them when to pause and when they can restart.
Now that seniors are cross department it should be easy enough to bring up that concern and make sure it gets enforced.
Technically I would say A sort should be communicating with an OB Lead who can then relay to the IB Lead that the UDC should be paused briefly to allow A sort to catch up.
We usually only throw one at a time but they will do two as well. Just depends what else they are throwing and how many NC pallets they expect on that trailer.
We average 3-4 UDC per day on a 10 hour shift. Sometimes we will sneak in a 5th if they are piling up in the yard.

Back