Mezzanine, Sorter

IB
Not sure how common it is but my RDC acts as a pass-through for the UDC and a fulfillment center. On average 50% of our UDC cartons are headed for a single door. The whole system quickly backs up if we are getting slammed by a UDC and are closing that door, so we have developed over the past few years good communication with them when to pause and when they can restart.
Now that seniors are cross department it should be easy enough to bring up that concern and make sure it gets enforced.
Technically I would say A sort should be communicating with an OB Lead who can then relay to the IB Lead that the UDC should be paused briefly to allow A sort to catch up.
We usually only throw one at a time but they will do two as well. Just depends what else they are throwing and how many NC pallets they expect on that trailer.
We average 3-4 UDC per day on a 10 hour shift. Sometimes we will sneak in a 5th if they are piling up in the yard.
We operate totally different lol

All buildings will be going to On key seniors next year. Definitely something I would roll up to whomever yours ends up being.

Meanwhile reprint permissions are super easy to get. I can get my teams their's in 24 hours. Sounds more like they don't want to give them out.

Idk how big your mess is upstairs but we have a couple cage carts upstairs and if there's IB specific reprints we send it back to IB. Just dedicate a cart to it.

As for reprints in general certain ones are okay as they don't hit your buildings dpmo score and won't count against you. I don't remember which ones they are but I can look into it and get back. I've been out of ICQA for a bit so I don't remember.

All buildings will be going to On key seniors next year. Definitely something I would roll up to whomever yours ends up being.

Meanwhile reprint permissions are super easy to get. I can get my teams their's in 24 hours. Sounds more like they don't want to give them out.

Idk how big your mess is upstairs but we have a couple cage carts upstairs and if there's IB specific reprints we send it back to IB. Just dedicate a cart to it.

As for reprints in general certain ones are okay as they don't hit your buildings dpmo score and won't count against you. I don't remember which ones they are but I can look into it and get back. I've been out of ICQA for a bit so I don't remember.

Now I’m curious, please do get back. Thanks in advance.

Do labels that purge negatively affect a buildings dpmo score?

Can’t the sorter just use R05 as a reason code and achieve the same result?
I use reason code P09 for packing LRP’s. MBP Lead told me difference. UDC is R09. and my dept / key was slapped with a bunch reprints when the stats should have been associated with IB. Had to type every container ID because it was rejecting over 8 times.

Last edited:
The reject line TM already has too much RW to do. It should just go back to IB in a cage when the drop is performed nightly. Plus half the TM’s that are up there have no idea what a reason code is let alone reprint. The TM operating the sorter shouldn’t be leaving that computer and should be catching side by sides.
I guess you can’t grab side by sides at the “A” or “B” point anymore. Result? IOT, after, IOTT, after ISD. Wtf I’m thinking to my self in my head. Sensors matters, lines do too. Whatever

Last edited:
No one reprints just reinstates. Most of the labels could be reprinted but TM’s will destroy a label and reinstate the box. Does the label purge since it’s being destroyed without being canceled first? Or they use others credentials.

lolz wow I’ve learned a lot since the original. I’m hatching

Last edited:
Yes, the label will purge or get cancelled after about a week. They should be taking the labels off of the boxes and giving them to ICQA to cancel though, rather than defacing them. Or checking if ICQA wants to come up to the sorter once per shift to reprint the ones that can be. Either way it’ll count against DPMO, so why add the work of reinstating, putting away, then pulling it again a few days later when all you need to do is reprint a label?

Yes, the label will purge or get cancelled after about a week. They should be taking the labels off of the boxes and giving them to ICQA to cancel though, rather than defacing them. Or checking if ICQA wants to come up to the sorter once per shift to reprint the ones that can be. Either way it’ll count against DPMO, so why add the work of reinstating, putting away, then pulling it again a few days later when all you need to do is reprint a label?
Thought so. I’ve mentioned it to my OM and they haven’t done anything. It must not be a big deal. Recently just started getting sent back up to the mezz and would say this has only been happening for the last 5 months if not more? Yikes

Oh man I miss these days….

Last edited:
There is no actual cost to reinstate.

What they are referring to is a labor cost for preforming an action that should be unnecessary. It's a defect that shouldn't have occurred.
Perspective? Because the WH is full of incorrect reinstates or stuff is incorrectly received. Don’t get me started about vender errors. I still catch incorrect DCPI’s coming out of cages from the TM who previous did the RW from the weekend. If WH is reinstating wrong then WTF is ICQA. Wtf don’t we have a laptop already.

Last edited:
No one reprints just reinstates. Most of the labels could be reprinted but TM’s will destroy a label and reinstate the box. Does the label purge since it’s being destroyed without being canceled first?
🤯😭

The reject line TM already has too much RW to do. It should just go back to IB in a cage when the drop is performed nightly. Plus half the TM’s that are up there have no idea what a reason code is let alone reprint. The TM operating the sorter shouldn’t be leaving that computer and should be catching side by sides.

Or, following the Target rule of thought, let’s just create another 2-3 merit roles per key to tackle sorter rework. Why not? It’s only money, and recent history shows that creating new roles always solves these problems. WTF does ICQA and IB Problem Area folks do anyway? They should have already fixed this issue.

Not sure how common it is but my RDC acts as a pass-through for the UDC and a fulfillment center. On average 50% of our UDC cartons are headed for a single door. The whole system quickly backs up if we are getting slammed by a UDC and are closing that door, so we have developed over the past few years good communication with them when to pause and when they can restart.
Now that seniors are cross department it should be easy enough to bring up that concern and make sure it gets enforced.
Technically I would say A sort should be communicating with an OB Lead who can then relay to the IB Lead that the UDC should be paused briefly to allow A sort to catch up.
We usually only throw one at a time but they will do two as well. Just depends what else they are throwing and how many NC pallets they expect on that trailer.
We average 3-4 UDC per day on a 10 hour shift. Sometimes we will sneak in a 5th if they are piling up in the yard.
You sound like you work at my RDC here in AZ. On the A keys we can pump out 12 UDCs and if they are over 1400 cartons you bet that one door is getting hammered

Does it cost anything to reinstate a carton? I’ve heard it cost $70 to reprint a label?
So what I've heard is that it costs $75 per label. I don't know if that reprinting as well but it comes down to how much it costs to get that one label out of the building. Costs of the labels, cost to receive the carton, GPM the carton, put away the carton, pick the carton, GPM the carton again, label the carton, throw the carton, to make sure it hits the tray correctly, and to put that carton in a wall. There are many factors as to how much each label costs but $75 can be the average cause I am sure a $600 TV doesn't cost $75 to move. The bad thing of reinstating is that you did that whole process I mentioned above all just to put that shit right back into inventory like we never did any of that.

It’s not that the reinstate is adding $75 in cost to process the carton. The value is based on the assumption that every reinstated carton should have gone to a store, and that store could now run out of stock for that item, and that the store will lose a $75 sale because of it.

Throwing ncon on the mezz to just have it be diverted and not loaded makes no sense to me. It ends up in the nets over on the other side of the building. When a label has been diverted for 130 hrs but never loaded it concerns the RWTM.

™️

Last edited:
You sound like you work at my RDC here in AZ. On the A keys we can pump out 12 UDCs and if they are over 1400 cartons you bet that one door is getting hammered
That door that gets cartons loaded by OBTM to be closed by an OBTM to be coordinated back to IB to be opened again 🙃

Is A-Sort even an important OB job function anymore? @Gabrigawr
In my DC I stress on how important it is. They are the controllers of the flow. If something goes down they affect the whole warehouse so yea I believe it to be important. I don't train or get anyone to train up there unless you truly want to and I believe you can do it but the caveat is you will learn how to be depal POC so you can understand the flow of everything better. Can't speak for any other building but I on my key make it point that if you mess up up there you will be back in lanes at budget CPH earning your way back up.

Is A-Sort even an important OB job function anymore? @Gabrigawr
A-Sort is one of THE most important OB functions. You can easily shut down the entire building if you aren’t paying attention. Our A-Sort operators call out jams, call out lights, catch side by sides, and are in constant communication with LWWs about how the building is flowing. Our sorter holds ~1300 cartons so when it starts climbing up to the 700-800 range, A-sort communicates that. But not everyone does that, of course. In a perfect world a-sort would be all over the radio, but people are lazy. Had a guy once stare at the computer screen after an IOTT thinking it would restart itself even though he’s been thoroughly trained and shadowed trainers for two weeks straight.

In my DC I stress on how important it is. They are the controllers of the flow. If something goes down they affect the whole warehouse so yea I believe it to be important. I don't train or get anyone to train up there unless you truly want to and I believe you can do it but the caveat is you will learn how to be depal POC so you can understand the flow of everything better. Can't speak for any other building but I on my key make it point that if you mess up up there you will be back in lanes at budget CPH earning your way back up.
I wish my OMs stuck to that philosophy. We took a guy off the mezz for a few days because he almost shut the building down and they had him as a closer. He has no sense of reality, didn’t do anything all night, and I had to actually raise my voice at him (for safety reasons, standing too close to a moving pallet and he wouldn’t even acknowledge me). He should have been put back in lanes.

Back