Archived Mobile Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone attempted while I was on register last week. They still don't work yet at my store, but the slots aren't covered anymore.

Our EMV slots are uncovered too but not enabled yet (I've had people try a few times, just incase they were turned on now). If they're not up until June, why bother uncovering them a month early?

@dannyy315: Whether a system uses NFC or QR codes is irrelevant for security. The CurrentC hack was on the main database and they got people's email addresses who had signed up for the pilot program. Because CurrentC saves merchant fees by focusing on ACH transfers (like the debit REDcard), it will save merchants quite a bit of money, which I hope they will pass on to the customers. Best Buy and Lowe's give 5% off with their credit cards so I hope they will do like Nordstrom and Target do and give the same benefits for the debit system.

Since I pay my credit cards in full every month, the only reason I use them is for the cash back and not to spread out payments (because if you only make $20,000/yr at Target, you'd better be on top of your budget) so there's no effective difference for me using credit or debit. The extra security from being disconnected from your checking account is an added benefit but the CurrentC system should be at least safer than using magnetic stripe debit cards.

Back when the currentc controversy was going on (when their supporters blocked applepay it also blocked MasterCard pay pass and google wallet so r/android was angry) I read that their tos or user agreement or whatever offers no protection should something happen. Magnetic stripe security never scared me because I'd never have to pay for it if someone stole my information. I don't even want chip and pin because it's extra work lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back