Archived Mobile Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatcashierdude

Former Service Desk Ninja
Anyone notice that on the registers K7 is labeled as mobile payment on the total screen? I had a corporate team member come through my lane with an app that automatically applied cartwheel + TM discount + redcard discount (and paid with the redcard) through this feature. Anyone know any more about it?

It's been in the works for awhile now. I think someone posted an article about it here? Or maybe I read it somewhere else. I can't seem to find it

I have not seen this yet. But I'll have to remember to look for it when I get called to back-up cash 94,746 times today.

The app is called currentc and is on both android and iOS devices. You need a @target.com email to create an account at this time, as they are only testing with target and Sears employees at this time. I've used it. Its super slick. Tied my cartwheel employee discount and debit card all together so I just had to hit one click.

The app is called currentc and is on both android and iOS devices. You need a @target.com email to create an account at this time, as they are only testing with target and Sears employees at this time. I've used it. Its super slick. Tied my cartwheel employee discount and debit card all together so I just had to hit one click.
Hopefully they expand it to normal team members at some point before it fully releases, it sounds really cool to have all that tied into one barcode.

I have a target.com email and I just tried signing up, never got a conformation email.

We have TM's that have their TM discount on their phone, it might apply their cartwheel as well with one scan, but it definitely doesn't work as a source of payment. Think it's called keyring or something similar.

We have TM's that have their TM discount on their phone, it might apply their cartwheel as well with one scan, but it definitely doesn't work as a source of payment. Think it's called keyring or something similar.

Yup I do keyring for my team member discount. the mobile payment app is called CurrentC.

I just signed up for it and it looks like it would work very well. I suppose you could add your giftcards to it as well.

I just signed up for it and it looks like it would work very well. I suppose you could add your giftcards to it as well.
Yeah you can add giftcards, but we're not suppose to accept it. Then again we're not supposed to even accept keyring at all (our store got in trouble with corp because of it), and due to the fact people abuse it. However, you can easily upload your giftcards to passbook if you have an iPhone, and if you have any smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows etc) you should be able to add your giftcards to your target account and access it through target.com or the target app.

Yeah you can add giftcards, but we're not suppose to accept it. Then again we're not supposed to even accept keyring at all (our store got in trouble with corp because of it), and due to the fact people abuse it. However, you can easily upload your giftcards to passbook if you have an iPhone, and if you have any smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows etc) you should be able to add your giftcards to your target account and access it through target.com or the target app.
I added both my TM discount and cartwheel to google wallet, that way if cartwheel fails to load I have a backup. In my store it isn't a big deal for us to enter discount numbers if you know the person works there, so there shouldn't be any problem with me using both of them at my store.

It used to be a big deal to key in TM discount numbers. Old STL said no, said even if it was him or an ETL, answer was no.

New STL thinks that's silly, told us if the person works at our store to type it in.

Anyone notice that on the registers K7 is labeled as mobile payment on the total screen? I had a corporate team member come through my lane with an app that automatically applied cartwheel + TM discount + redcard discount (and paid with the redcard) through this feature. Anyone know any more about it?

Maybe this is in anticipation of the launch of Apple Pay?

Target is already married to iPads & it makes sense they will want to be ready for Apple's upcoming pay system also.

Maybe this is in anticipation of the launch of Apple Pay?

Target is already married to iPads & it makes sense they will want to be ready for Apple's upcoming pay system also.
This is a completely different thing. They posted notices in the breakroom about this app. It's called CurrentC. It only works in the minneapolis area for now, and only for team members with @target.com emails. None of the stores that accept CurrentC will be accepting anything NFC (apple pay, google wallet, softcard) and some stores like best buy and seven eleven are turning their NFC readers off. I doubt we will be accepting NFC payments like apple pay anytime in the near future.

It used to be a big deal to key in TM discount numbers. Old STL said no, said even if it was him or an ETL, answer was no.
My store is the same way. It's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that our STL still works at our store and still gets a discount here...

Ok, so after watching this video:
featuring ABC news demonstrating apple pay at Whole Foods, I noticed that the Whole Foods in question has the same terminal we switched to, but the thing about it is the terminal shown lacks the bulky NFC addon most stores have gotten for NFC payments for their terminals. SO, curious ole me did a little quick google research and found verifone's website where they list hardware specs and what not. I present to you two versions of the terminal in question:
http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-915/
Uno, which is NFC enabled already.
http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-925/
And dos, which requires the extra bulk. My question is can anyone/does anyone know what model spot installed. If we can find out then spot might have something up their sleeves in the near future, it's interesting that they're hesitant on enabling Apple Pay or NFC all together if they do have the mx915, then again if they are heading the CurrentC route apparently it's cult that doesn't allow other mobile payment options lol.

Ok, so after watching this video:
featuring ABC news demonstrating apple pay at Whole Foods, I noticed that the Whole Foods in question has the same terminal we switched to, but the thing about it is the terminal shown lacks the bulky NFC addon most stores have gotten for NFC payments for their terminals. SO, curious ole me did a little quick google research and found verifone's website where they list hardware specs and what not. I present to you two versions of the terminal in question:
http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-915/
Uno, which is NFC enabled already.
http://www.verifone.com/products/hardware/multimedia/mx-925/
And dos, which requires the extra bulk. My question is can anyone/does anyone know what model spot installed. If we can find out then spot might have something up their sleeves in the near future, it's interesting that they're hesitant on enabling Apple Pay or NFC all together if they do have the mx915, then again if they are heading the CurrentC route apparently it's cult that doesn't allow other mobile payment options lol.

I bought stuff at a panera bread store. They had the exact same model as ours (the big one). It had a NFC logo on the screen, no extra bulk. Tapped back of my phone to the screen and it worked. So ours definitely have the hardware, its just not activated.

There is no K7 on the total screen for our registers. I'm guessing that's where they'll eventually insert the mobile payment option.

It kind of figures that Spot would go with payment system that will be the Betamax in the competition.
I'm betting that by 1016 there will be 2 maybe 3 methods used by most stores.
There was a time when it would have taken longer for things to shake out but nowadays things move pretty fast.
Apple is probably going to be one of them.

There is no K7 on the total screen for our registers. I'm guessing that's where they'll eventually insert the mobile payment option.
Yeah, the breakroom posters said it is only live in ~50 stores in the twin cities area. We have had issues with multiple registers crashing the past week or two, so its likely they screwed up stuff when adding it in. Hopefully it gets resolved by the time they put it on all the target registers.
It kind of figures that Spot would go with payment system that will be the Betamax in the competition.
I'm betting that by 1016 there will be 2 maybe 3 methods used by most stores.
There was a time when it would have taken longer for things to shake out but nowadays things move pretty fast.
Apple is probably going to be one of them.
Honestly I don't think this will be the betamax. It displays a one time QR code (so copying that down won't do any good) and asks the guest to confirm the total on the app. It can be added to any phone, so even the cheapest $100 android will be able to have the app on it. This makes it more available than Google Wallet or Apple Pay. It's got enough retailers on board for it to seriously compete with any other NFC payment alternatives. The only requirement for a merchant to join is to be willing to modify their register software, and not take NFC payments.

I have a target.com email and I just tried signing up, never got a conformation email.
I am reading where it is invite only at this time, so that may why you never go an e-mail conformation.

They eventually sent it, but they did on my day off and they gave you like, a five hour window to confirm your email. So, I didn't get to my email in time and now I have to call or email them back to get a code again. Turns out we don't have K7 activated on the registers in my store yet, so not gonna mess with it.

I hope the Target people are reading the thread on MacRumors about the RiteAid NFC payment fiasco..... It's entertaining, and enlightening in ways they probably can't grasp. But it is the tech people making their case.

Security in CurrentC is a worry, as is tracking.

They really need to put the prepaid RedCard from the other thread into ApplePay. Then they can have their cake while everyone gets to eat it and maintain their privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back