Archived Moral dilemma..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, how to approach this...

Today a team member came up to me with an issue (btw, I'm a Team Member) talking about an issue with another team member that they just had. This team member, we'll call him team member A, didn't seem overly distraught about the situation, but obviously had some level of concern if he was talking to me about it. Apparently a few nights ago when he was outside waiting to be let in to the store, team member B walked to the door to let whoever was in only to notice it was team member A. He proceeded to stand there and just stare for a few moments, until he walked away without letting team member A in.

Flash forward to today, team member A greeted team member B whom was told promptly that "...you're dead to me". This is when team member A came up to me to talk about it, asking if I had ever experienced similar situations with team member B. From there, he proceeded to talk more and more about what I just talked about. I'm not sure if the two are just in some argument or what. I'm also not really sure why it's being brought to my attention and not either a TL, ETLs, or even a HR. Maybe because it really isn't too much of an issue, that its just some argument about nothing and this is how team member B is acting and team member A just needed some way to vent or talk about it, so he chose me? He explained to me why maybe team member B is acting this way, but he wasn't even really sure as to the real cause or reason.

My dilemma I have now is, I've been told this information. I'm not sure if it was to be private or not and I'm not entirely sure how critical the situation really is. Obviously team member A felt something, but he didn't seem to act like it was an exceptional issue that he couldn't handle. Do I just let this go? Should I speak with my ETL or HR? I have a sense that if I bring this issue up with either of them, they will do a follow up which either A: Team member A never wished to have done or B: They will probe either team member A or B for additional information and possibly amplify the situation further then it needed to be.

I don't want to feel like I'd be some nark, but the situation is...yea, heh. I'm not even sure. It's on my mind, clearly.
Maybe I'm just in disbelief because someone came up to me with such a problem with another team member...

I'm not sure...

Advice? Comments?

Last edited:
Let it go. They can keep being mad at each other or work it out. TM A can talk to an ETL if he/she wants.

I wouldn't tell anyone else about the issue. I would just speak with TM A and tell them to speak to an ETL/TL if the issue escalates further.
Or if he feels threatened in any way by TM B.

First of all, I believe that only a key carrier is allowed to open a locked door. The team member expecting to be let in (A) should not have expected to be let in. You overheard what Target considers to be a threat, kidding or not. If this should escalate so that the tm went to HR, you could potentially be reported as being a witness to the threat. There could be repercussions for you if you do not report it. You could ask that it be a confidential conversation and that you do not want to be involved at any future time.

Gotta love people who still think they are in high school.
You don't have to like the people you work with but you do have to work with them with them which means acting with a certain kind of decorum.
I'd stay out of it, unless you notice it escalating to a point of the physical or where it's drawing in other TM's.

And welcome to The Break Room.

I know at my store, sometimes the morning LOD will be busy doing whatever they are doing and will page someone they know is up at the front end to let whoever is ringing the doorbell in.

I agree though. Tell TM A to speak to someone, and also let HR or someone you feel comfortable speaking to know what you overheard. Tell them you are concerned, but want to be kept anonymous.

I'm not seeing the threat. Also, every morning I hear: "could the TM by clerical let the 7 o'clock people in?" from the LOD. I know that doesn't make it right though.

Last edited:
Don't you have to turn off the alarm to be able to open the door without the alarm going off? I can't imagine our AP being happy about the alarm being shut off by a TM...

At any rate, urge TM A to report it if he feels it's an issue. You don't need to be involved and probably shouldn't have stuck around to hear the whole story. Drama is not funny when you're caught up in it.

Why should you get involved. You have no hand in this issue so you should not have to worry about anything.

Only those team members involved should be able to comment.

Surprised no one has brought up this point yet. While all threats should be taken seriously I dont think the one team member meant any harm by it. The phrase "you are dead to me" is pretty common and just a way of showing displeasure in something a person may or may have not done. My buddies and I used to say it to each other all the time... While playing poker if one of us knocked the other one out of the game the person might just say "Your dead to me" not that they are going to kill us or anything but they are just upset at a course of actions performed by us and just there way of saying ur messed up in a funnier way.

So If I was a betting man the person who was left outside probably just said that because they thought the person who did not let them in was being a jerk when they saw them standing there needing to be let in. I am sure they did not know the rules or why this person could not let them in but to them they probably just say it as this person not letting them in so they were letting the other team member know that they "were dead to them" meaning they do not exist and if they every needed anything from them it wasnt going to happen.

Just mind your own business, I wouldn't advise making someone else's problem your own. Btw is Team member A&B opposite gender?? Hmmm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back