Archived More hours cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I just want to call in and quit. Shitty, yes. But at this point I don't even care. It sucks to work for someone who doesn't give a shit about you.

Been pretty consistent at 24/25 hours since I started. Seems like the week of June 19 is my first ever week of going under 20 hours.

I just saw my new schedule and I have 12 hours over three different days. They are all cashier shifts and I am a sales floor person. I have no idea how it is possible, but the cuts for sales floor hours are getting deeper at my store because some days we have zero sales floor people until the closing team comes in around 4/5pm. It also doesn't make sense to have four/five cashiers, a guest service TM, and two GSTLs at one time, but no one on the sales floor besides one TL doing everything. If there are that many people that need to check out then it means the store is busy and people will probably need help on the sales floor or at least need to be greeted.

But good thing they hired 14 new people about three weeks ago and are still doing interviews.

We have been having 2 gstl's on at a time also. It just started last week.

We were told that because backroom pulls and pushed cafs that sales floor had their hours cut way back and only seem to close now from 7-11pm to zone and do reshop.

Yeah ok. We get it. The CEO deserves higher pay than the Softlines TM folding clothes. No one's saying he doesn't. What we are saying is that workers should be paid better wages. Right now, what TMs make is peanuts. We know Spot can afford better -- they just choose to pay people less. And then they cut positions, slash hours and have skeleton crews running the store, and that's not okay. We wonder why guests don't want to sign up for REDcards or they leave negative feedback on the survey. Why turnover is so high and no one wants to stick around. This is why.

Even if wages were the same letting people actually be able to work 30+ hours or full time would be a big shift. Even if you work 25-30 or so hours it might not be enough and when you find something else you are gone. Reducing almost every TM to part time is going to lead to more turnover, its not rocket science.

We've lost ~30 this year.

My store actually has pretty good morale and we have lost a bunch of people this past year particularly in the Electronics, Cashier, Flow and BR workcenters

In the past month we have lost our STL, ETL-Log and 2 BR TMs and some other TMs that I probably dont remember

I just saw my new schedule and I have 12 hours over three different days. They are all cashier shifts and I am a sales floor person. I have no idea how it is possible, but the cuts for sales floor hours are getting deeper at my store because some days we have zero sales floor people until the closing team comes in around 4/5pm. It also doesn't make sense to have four/five cashiers, a guest service TM, and two GSTLs at one time, but no one on the sales floor besides one TL doing everything. If there are that many people that need to check out then it means the store is busy and people will probably need help on the sales floor or at least need to be greeted.

But good thing they hired 14 new people about three weeks ago and are still doing interviews.

You would think so.....at my store we typically dont have anyone under hardlines or softlines until 6. It sucks when Pricing, Presenation, Instocks all go home at 2:30 and all we have is fitting room, electronics and myself as a PA from 2:30-6. You add in 1 backroom, the LOD and then EVERYONE ELSE is Starbucks and front end which if I had to guess would be about 9 or so TMS?

As far as picking up hours, check with some of the stores in your immediate area - sometimes there might be one going through a remodel that needs help. If you are a good team member spot can find ways of getting you hours - maybe let your HR know that you are willing to work split shifts - like a flow shift in the morning and then a cashier/salesfloor shift in the afternoon. Also, talk to the ETLs and Team Leads, sometimes they know of team members who always are looking to get rid of shits but have just given up on the swap shift board because nobody picks up their shifts. I've heard horror stories of people working 10 shifts in 7 days just to get to 40 hours (3 opens with flow, and 7 closes) but hey, if you need it you need it.

As far as picking up hours, check with some of the stores in your immediate area - sometimes there might be one going through a remodel that needs help. If you are a good team member spot can find ways of getting you hours - maybe let your HR know that you are willing to work split shifts - like a flow shift in the morning and then a cashier/salesfloor shift in the afternoon. Also, talk to the ETLs and Team Leads, sometimes they know of team members who always are looking to get rid of shits but have just given up on the swap shift board because nobody picks up their shifts. I've heard horror stories of people working 10 shifts in 7 days just to get to 40 hours (3 opens with flow, and 7 closes) but hey, if you need it you need it.

I am not going to pick up shits.. I do not have the hazmat training for that. ;)

You would think so.....at my store we typically dont have anyone under hardlines or softlines until 6. It sucks when Pricing, Presenation, Instocks all go home at 2:30 and all we have is fitting room, electronics and myself as a PA from 2:30-6. You add in 1 backroom, the LOD and then EVERYONE ELSE is Starbucks and front end which if I had to guess would be about 9 or so TMS?

Umm..what happens with the 3 PM and 5 PM CAFs?

Even if wages were the same letting people actually be able to work 30+ hours or full time would be a big shift. Even if you work 25-30 or so hours it might not be enough and when you find something else you are gone. Reducing almost every TM to part time is going to lead to more turnover, its not rocket science.

Exactly, there is no reason to stay. There is no attachment, no bond, etc. There are plenty low wage retail jobs to pick from.

IMO its not about how much ( or little) I am paid. I have more of an issue with the fact that there is no security. Health insurance is in limbo from year to year...no security whatsoever. This is one of the big reasons a lot of people will eventually leave Spot. They work hard to qualify for benefits then have to bite their nails hoping they can keep them.

I do it all the time.

Are you new to this?

Newest schedule I have 23.75 hours scheduled over five days. Apparently my store has decided that they're going to be giving cashiers about 4 hours per shift because they want to "bring a bunch of new cashiers in". Idk, I think we're going to have a lot of call outs that week.

Everyone's hours are being cut at ours. They've been giving me 40 hours all of a sudden though because I'm our store's top salesperson! All the other cashiers get like 10. I think they give hours based on how well you perform...

Everyone's hours are being cut at ours. They've been giving me 40 hours all of a sudden though because I'm our store's top salesperson! All the other cashiers get like 10. I think they give hours based on how well you perform...

Nope. Because I got 14 last week (and I'm one of the best at getting RCs) and the newbie hires got 25-30 hours.

I actually have 24 hours next week, and 17 the week after, but that's because of my vacation requests.

and pray that you don't ever need to role the dice and go see a VA doctor.

Around here, it's not the doctors that are the problem, it's the backlog. You'd have a better chance at winning the Mega Millions jackpot than seeing the doctor in a timely fashion. I have a friend whose mom is a nurse at the nearby VA hospital, and she said it's been getting worse every year.

This week's posted schedule already was bare bones and I heard my STL tell another ETL today that they have to cut more hours. Call outs? Don't find replacements. Guests are already pissed with the long lines at checkout, maybe they will try a neighboring Target, or, maybe they just give up on Target all together.

This week's posted schedule already was bare bones and I heard my STL tell another ETL today that they have to cut more hours. Call outs? Don't find replacements. Guests are already pissed with the long lines at checkout, maybe they will try a neighboring Target, or, maybe they just give up on Target all together.

Yep, getting tired of hearing "We need every one on checklanes!!!" every 15min.. And when you don't come up you get called out.. I am getting sick of being the only person on the floor with several guests in my face and being yelled at cause I can't be in two places at once.. I have started saying "So you want me to tell the guest I am helping to go pull that out of the back yourself so I can come up and ring?" It has worked.. But I am waiting for them to tell me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back