Archived More hours cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just what happens though, when we get older. We can't keep up like we used to. Target isn't a job fit for older folks who don't move very fast. It's sad, yeah but that's business and that's life. :(

Uh, your attitude and statement is absolutely part of the problem. The Perceived slowness of a group which contributes to the Ageism within Target. There are roles within Target that require other skills besides speed.

One of our best Instocks Members is older, and she has an eye for detail, and the will to fix issues as she finds them. In fact, going too fast can f*ck up the instocks process rather badly.

Uh, your attitude and statement is absolutely part of the problem. The Perceived slowness of a group which contributes to the Ageism within Target. There are roles within Target that require other skills besides speed.

One of our best Instocks Members is older, and she has an eye for detail, and the will to fix issues as she finds them. In fact, going too fast can f*ck up the instocks process rather badly.
To each thier own

I'm 60 years old and I can keep up with or usually surpass anyone at my store. Guests in FA are always trying to tip me cause they see me working with a sense of urgency, getting then thier snacks ASAP. I fill the cartwell faster than anyone else there.

Age is just a number... it's your work ethic that matters!

That's just what happens though, when we get older. We can't keep up like we used to. Target isn't a job fit for older folks who don't move very fast. It's sad, yeah but that's business and that's life. :(
YOUR store, maybe....

ASANTS. A buddy of mine left spot to got to lowes the next town over he usually gets 25-30 hours a week mostly closing. He got started at 12. I went to an interview at lowed about 2 years ago was offered only 12 and they told me the max I would get was 20 hours. Mind you we both would have been working the same position. The only thing I don't like about lowes and I know about this since I have two family embers who are managers is that if sales are down they will delete your shifts to save payroll and they don't have to ask. You will just come in and find out you were taken off or be told that hey your next shift we cut hours
exactly. I work at Wegmans but as full time, other stores in our district have cut hours for part timers but it is no where near as bad as what spot is doing.

Any tips for someone who may be applying at Wegman's?
Id say you should do your research and make it clear you want to work there, I used a lot of experience from spot to answer questions in regard to customer service and prioritizing tasks. the department manager and HR are both in the interview and they tag team questions. good luck.

You disappoint me. You are welcome to come to my store--just be sure you can keep up.
I apologize if that offended you. I don't support it by the way. I'm not going to turn this political for any reason. I simply put my logic in understanding where one might be coming from in thinking that way. I have no biases.

Please slow your roll on the age. I have Receiving /Reverse Logistics and I am definitely over 47 years of age. I still do a big portion of the pallet building, loading, and have helped some vendors unload when the lift gate has gotten stuck.

Please slow your roll on the age. I have Receiving /Reverse Logistics and I am definitely over 47 years of age. I still do a big portion of the pallet building, loading, and have helped some vendors unload when the lift gate has gotten stuck.
If you read my other posts I specifically mention age isn't the issue.

Well, almost every position at target is based off of speed. I'm not quick to think it has anything to do with them being biased against older workers as much as it is just slow TMs slowing down the processes and not performing to the industry standard here. We've got quite a few younger people who are slow and their hours are cut drastically when payroll is scarce. We've also got a couple older veterans (one that has been here 22 years, 56 years old) that is in great shape and keeps up unloading the line and gets his stuff done very fast who is always around for almost 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. I dont think it has anything to do with age, just performance.
@Rdhdstpchl

my experience is that it's a mixed bag. I work with older TM's that are fast and younger ones that are slow. Likewise, I also work with a few older TM's that are slower than shit and a few younger ones that are fast. It cuts both ways. I think for some it's about being efficient and doing the best job you can, and that boils down to work ethic. The slow ones, regardless of age, are either physically unable to move faster (ie.handicapped, obese, etc) or simply don't give a rat's ass. Most of the slow ones fall into the latter category.

Whatever. I'm probably 3 times older than the kid that pushed 2 pulls while I shot 4 POG fills, pulled them, worked them, and then filled the additional locations with the extra. Oh... and I actually took care of the cardboard and backstocked the leftovers.

We were told that we aren't getting any more hours until SEPTEMBER because they used too much earlier in the year. Hours are super low and they're talking about maybe having to cut hours yet again. We're a BTS/BTC store, though I don't think we're having the "Super Freaky" event this year. It's going to be hell.

I'm actually really surprised. I'm working 32 next week after a good solid month and a half of only 20-25 hours a week. Thank god it's mostly electronics, I'm sick of being one of the two or three cashiers that have to deal with an overwhelming amount of guests because we're not keeping front lanes staffed enough.

Told I was going to get more hours since business is picking up.
What do they do? Hire more people and CUT my hours.

Bloody wankers.

Yeah, the only thing to piss me off more than being understaffed and desperate for hours is when they solve the lack of manpower by hiring more people. Getting only 20 hours cashiering and then seeing we have two new cashiers makes me grumpy, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back