COVID-19 Multiple Positive Covid Cases at a Store, How Concerned Should I Be?

I interviewed at Target recently - I won't say which store, of course. Both interviews went very well, and I genuinely like the company.

With that said, when I was waiting for my interview, I noticed a disquieting bulletin.

The poster that said something like "# of Team Members tested positive for Covid this week." I won't say the exact number, again for anonymity, but it was more than 3.

That, to me, is alarming. One person, I could see. We had one person test positive at my old job, back in April, and no one since. But a handful of TMs tested positive just this week alone, at just one store? Yikes.

I also saw an unsettling number of TMs not wearing masks, carrying their mask in their hands, or "chin-strapping" it while in the back rooms. Around half of the employees in the back were improperly wearing masks or not at all. I could understand if you're eating/drinking, but most of these people were just walking around. My last job was in a hot kitchen, and we wore masks 100% of the time, whether the customers could see us or not.

I'm not naive, I do expect significant Covid19 risk if I'm working in a big box retailer. At the same time, I'm not trying to catch it, you know?

I understand that this is a sensitive subject, but is this typical of Target stores? Would other locations have similar numbers? If you're comfortable saying so, does yours?

Would you work at a store with 3-6 positive Covid tests in one week?

You do what's best for you, screw what anyone thinks. To hell all this sensitivity crap and the morons who claim "rights infringement." One is just as stupid as the next. Just be careful, that's all. You never know when someone will pull a knife or a gun, seriously. I am in a "shall issue" state, tons of handguns in circulation.

I just quit a job (a small boutique after I left department stores) that I was at for less than a month because I expected them to take this pandemic more serious. I was a member of management and the store manager was very hands-on, literally. She would ask me to do something and put her hands on me, which should have been my first red flag. We took "mask breaks" and I always complied because I felt pressured to do so. We would take off our masks, and the store was probably 1000 square feet if that. It was really small. I quit very quickly after that. Thank god. I wouldn't be surprised if the upper respiratory infection that the Assistant Manager and Store Manager both had was due to their negligence. It was terrifying that they refused to get tested and kept coming into work.

Last edited:
Dismissiveness can cost lives at the expense of the bottom line. You learn that with age. It's nothing new. If you ask too many questions, show too much concern for safety, if you so much as say a word about anyone who puts (you) in jeopardy you will lose hours, you will be gradually performanced out. In times such as they are it's best for your safety to put in your two weeks and get going. You will not know who the infected really are, you will never find out where they worked, when they worked, what they touched, anything. Leave while you're healthy, this is no joke.

Yikes, that sounds rough to me. Especially since Target as a company has mandated masks. Things were getting lax at my store even with a state mandate, but since the company made masks mandatory it's a lot better.

I'm going to be honest - if they are keeping a weekly positive tally, that would scare the crap out of me.

A few days ago we saw a card carrying Karen and 3 miniature Karenettes in one of our local Targets. No masks. Mom-Karen looked as healthy as can be, peppy jogging suit, the obligatory Bux in hand and 3 karen trainees in tow. Everyone else in the store had masks on. Any idea why the Big T is bringing back MP ice cream in the rectangular coated paper containers, 1.75 qts?

Dismissiveness can cost lives at the expense of the bottom line. You learn that with age. It's nothing new. If you ask too many questions, show too much concern for safety, if you so much as say a word about anyone who puts (you) in jeopardy you will lose hours, you will be gradually performanced out. In times such as they are it's best for your safety to put in your two weeks and get going. You will not know who the infected really are, you will never find out where they worked, when they worked, what they touched, anything. Leave while you're healthy, this is no joke.

This is happening to someone I work with at guest services. He is being placed on a lane or outside counting guests way more often. I feel bad for him, he is really good at his job and is just trying to stay safe. (he is usually at the SD)

I wouldn't work there or at Tarshit at all. First off you will only work part time unless your a leader. Second they clearly don't take covid seriously at all if that many are getting infected. I'd run not walk away from that store. If you are gonna take the job wear your mask and keep a mini bottle of cleaner whether store bought or home made. Try to get away from irresponsible team members and Karen's as much as possible. Wash hands as much as possible and keep hand sanitizer on you. Don't trust the store to keep you safe as they clearly don't care if that many are infected and carrying there masks instead of wearing it.

I have not seen positive cases posted anywhere in my store. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had zero cases bc the store has been taking it very seriously. Ie, distributing masks, sanitizing carts, baskets, and checkouts, etc. but what does bother me is that many guests and TMs do not have the masks up over their noses. I find this frustrating bc some of us aren’t slacking and I get it, it’s uncomfortable but if we aren’t all committed and doing our part it’s ultimately putting everyone at risk and reduces the purpose.

My store has taken it very seriously, and have only had 1 case from a very part time tm that hadnt worked in over a week. I have already seen a slip in the cleaning with how busy my store has become and the shift of the duties shifting to dbos but in general weve kept up pretty good. I just worry with 4th quarter that it will be overlooked further. That many active cases would worry me for sure, but its up to you with what risk level you are comfortable with

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea to steer clear. We do have a couple of TMs whose masks "slip down" (because they choose to not wear them properly), but almost everyone is compliant all the time, everywhere except the break room where of course we're allowed to unmask. We've had one case at my store. What you saw posted does seem like a lot.
I might be concerned about how seriously the store's leadership team takes safety issues generally if they're so obviously lax about masks, despite corporate's mandate that TMs and guests wear them.

You interviewed for a job at target, yet you saw people in the backroom without masks? What were you doing back there?
I am betting this was at TMSC, and not the actual backroom.

Team Member Service Center -- where all the offices are (for the benefit of the OP)

Sometimes during interviews at my store the TLs walk the candidate around showing them where they will be working and explain in detail what they will be doing so a fully informed decision can be made by the candidate. This only happens with the ones they want to hire; it's a way to head off new hires who get shell-shocked by the work they weren't expecting. This way, they know going in.

At my store we will kindly remind them about the mask mandate and that if needed we will provide you with one, if they refuse and keep walking by we avoid them like they have the plague. Luckily (and to be honest its hilarious to watch) the mask wearing guests have no problem Shaming them out the store or up to gs to get one.

Back