Archived Need time off but schedule is already made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my boyfriend's father just passed away, whom was like a second father to me since we have lived together for a few months and i need to take a few days off to spend with my boyfriend and attend the funeral. the schedule is already made though obviously. i need at least the next 4 days off (after tomorrow). my manager has already told me he would make changes to my schedule if need be because i gave him a heads up while he was in the hospital, and we weren't sure if he would make it out or not. my manager is gone until friday though. what can they do in situations like this? i don't wanna lose my job.. and i've already called off 3 times in the past month.

Get with your ETL-HR to see about coverage for your shifts.

Yes just go to your HR ETL. You will likely be told that you need to find someone to cover your shift. Don’t be surprised if you end up getting a corrective for your attendance though. Just be careful not call off for the next couple of months.

For the most part, TMs and TLs tend to hold their peace when it comes to time off for a Funeral. 3 times in the last month? Damn... I get the whole being with your boyfriend, I've been there... but you'd be at 7 days called off since whenever in September-October if you do 3-4 days. If anything, get the day of the funeral off, and the other days just see if anyone can cover. Communication is key in this situation, be in contact with your ETL-HR and Team leaders. Try to work something out, ask people if they're interested in more hours etc. You shouldn't have to worry about your job, I'm not sure if you're past your 90 days but for the most part, your team might be crabby, but they'll get over it.

well i called off 2 times in september and went home early once, and 1 time in august. i've been with target for 3 years and have had pretty good attendance the rest of my time there. i really only need friday and saturday off for the memorial and service but it will be impossible to find someone to cover since most people in my department are at 40 hours every week.

my boyfriend's father just passed away, whom was like a second father to me since we have lived together for a few months and i need to take a few days off to spend with my boyfriend and attend the funeral. the schedule is already made though obviously. i need at least the next 4 days off (after tomorrow). my manager has already told me he would make changes to my schedule if need be because i gave him a heads up while he was in the hospital, and we weren't sure if he would make it out or not. my manager is gone until friday though. what can they do in situations like this? i don't wanna lose my job.. and i've already called off 3 times in the past month.

Speak with your ETL-HR. You should be able to get time off with no repercussions. There is no way that you can plan ahead of time when your boyfriend's father would pass away and request time off. You should be able to attend the funeral without getting written up or needing to personally replace your shifts. Your leader(s)/HR will replace these shifts for you if you have a legit reason. In certain instances, you can even qualify for bereavement pay.

Download the 2017 Time Off Program Guide (Go to the Target Pay and Benefits Website --> Login --> Go to Health & Insurance tab --> Click on Time Off under Summary Plan Descriptions/Plan Guidelines --> Click on Time Off Program Guide for Non Exempt TM --> PDF guide will open).

Scroll to page 19 of this guide:

Unpaid bereavement time and extended time off.
Team members who are not eligible for [bereavement] pay, or who need extended time off, are eligible for unpaid time off. If this time exceeds 3 scheduled days for DC Team members or 7 calendar days for all other team members, this would be requested as a Personal Leave of Absence. The length of unpaid Personal Leave of Absence for purposes of bereavement/funeral time is determined and approved by the team member's leader and HR partner. (See LOA Guidelines for additional details on Target’s Personal Leave of Absence). Team members in Oregon may be eligible under the Oregon Family Leave Act for bereavement purposes. Team members should contact the Target Leave and Disability team.

(Just in case you cannot download this guide, I have cited the paragraph for you.)

If they won't allow you the time off or write you up for needing to attend a funeral, cite this paragraph from the Time Off Guide.

Edit: Here is some info about Paid Bereavement Time Off as well...
  • Non-exempt store team members with average hours of 20 or more are eligible for bereavement pay from the first full pay period after the first of the month following 6 full months of service.
  • In the event of a death in the immediate family, up to 3 scheduled days is paid time.
    • Immediate Family:
      • Spouse/domestic partner/common-law spouse in locations that recognize common law marriage
      • Parent: biological, adopted, step, mother/father-in-law
      • Child: biological, adopted, foster, step, son/daughter-in-law, legal ward, domestic partner biological/adopted child
      • Brother/Sister: step, half, brother/sister-in-law
      • Grandparent/Grandchild
      • Stillborn: mother or biological father of stillborn child at 20 weeks of gestation or greater
      • Aunt/Uncle
      • Niece/Nephew
  • In the event of a death of a close friend or distant relative, up to 4 hours is paid time.
    • Distant Relative:
      • Grandparent-in-law
      • Aunt/Uncle-in-law
      • Cousin
      • Great-grandparent
      • Step-grandparent
    • Note: Team members are limited to 4 paid events in a rolling 24-month period for distant family/close friend. Additional time off needed for such events will be unpaid.
  • Proof is not required to receive bereavement pay or unpaid time. However, Target reserves the right to request appropriate documentation.

Last edited:
Her is more details about that info. I am sorry for your loss.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.png
    image.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 12
I hope no one ever goes through a difficult situation like yours. ( calling out 7 times in a month)That being said; the person who passed away is not your actual father. He is the father of some guy you are with. Keep that in mind as you go forward.

Good luck unfortunately sans your funeral your attendance has been poor. You would be coached for 3 call offs in one month at my store.

Good luck unfortunately sans your funeral your attendance has been poor. You would be coached for 3 call offs in one month at my store.

Dani346 - Like HR Zone said, you might get talked to for the other 3 days. The funeral days shouldn't count against you though. You won't lose your job yet (assuming you had no other write ups). Make sure you improve your attendance after returning to work.

Recently, a fellow TM passed away. Also, saw another TM tear up on Monday because a family member passed away. Go talk to HR. I have never seen any of my ETLs deny someone for a funeral. That would be messed up. My Leaders and TMs even go as a group to pay their respects for a TM or their close loved one.

Last edited:
Go talk to HR. I have never seen any of my ETLs deny someone for a funeral.

Sometime ago we had a tm who's grandfather passed away. She needed a number of days off after that due to her specific religious beliefs regarding deaths/funerals. Leadership said it was ok. When the tm came back, she got a CCA. I thought that was ridiculous.

Sometime ago we had a tm who's grandfather passed away. She needed a number of days off after that due to her specific religious beliefs regarding deaths/funerals. Leadership said it was ok. When the tm came back, she got a CCA. I thought that was ridiculous.
Yeah, not ridiculous. Never ever take someones word when it comes to issues of leav. Get it in writing. With all that goes on in the store it hard enough for some of these leaders to shit out their a** than their mouths. They forget!

My condolences. To echo what was already said, work on your attendance when you return from work. To have issues with your attendance BEFORE such a tragedy is going to work only AGAINST you. Cover your ass!!! @Planosss said it best, leadership tends to forget, and in the end, it will be your word versus there's. Only what can be proven will survive the test of time. Good luck

Wow, that's cold. Did she consider calling the hotline?

If she was sitting shiva or any other family obligation that would require you to have more time off than the standard then they just have to live with it.
A hot line call is the least of the stores worries.
The ACLU would be the next call.

If she was sitting shiva or any other family obligation that would require you to have more time off than the standard then they just have to live with it.
A hot line call is the least of the stores worries.
The ACLU would be the next call.

This particular tm was Muslim, and I am not sure if there was a specific obligation such as shiva that she was required to participate in. She's been gone quite some time, as has the particular SRTL who said it was ok for her to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back