Archived Needing Some Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start off with a little background. I'm sixteen, and started as a seasonal cashier in November at a Super Target. It's the first job I've ever had, and I love the hell out of it and am hoping to be kept on after seasonal. That being said, I do my best to make an impression on GSAs, GSTLs, fellow cashiers, and just about anyone else in a red shirt.

What I need is some outside perspective. This being my first job, there's nothing I can compare my current workload to. As a cashier, I do a lot of extra stuff for the GSAs and GSTLs. I'm constantly volunteering to zone, run abandon, and generally do whatever they tell me to. I thought it was normal to just say yes to your superiors (thanks public schooling), however when talking to other Team Members, a lot of them politely decline any offer from superiors to do work outside of working lanes.

I've received praise for the amount of work I do from one of the GSTLs before, and that was great. But my main question is; Do I do more work than a lot of the other Cashiers, both seasonal and regular team? 70% of my time is still spent on the lanes, but from what I understand, spending a third of your time off the lanes as a cashier is unusual.

Is it a good thing that I am ready and willing to do extra stuff for my superiors? Should I tone back my willingness? Does all the extra work I do, despite my low conversion rate (although it is higher than a lot of other Seasonal Members') does this give me a better shot at being kept on after December?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The more extra work you do and eager to learn you are, the better your chances of being kept on.
Do keep in mind that as a minor they might be a little less likely to keep you over someone who they be more flexible with in terms of hours.
That said if you bust your but and seem like someone worth investing in, they would be fools not to keep you.
But the rule here is every store is different and any advice we give you is based on the experience we have in ours.

Helping out when able certainly isn't going to hurt your chances of being kept on.

However, not sure how much say GSTL will have in regards to who is kept, and pretty sure the GSA's will have virtually no say. If they specifically complained about your behaviour it might make you less likely to be kept, but I doubt when it comes time to decide who is asked to stay that they will be asked what they think of any of the seasonal cashiers.

I actively try to get away from the lanes. Don't understand how some can spend 8 hours there without going insane. If they ask to go cover a break in <insert area>, go do <something>, etc I say yes and get the fuck out of there.

Do keep in mind that as a minor they might be a little less likely to keep you over someone who they be more flexible with in terms of hour..

At my store the minors usually worked out better. They didn't have all of the "life" issues that adults have going on. True, they can't close but usually that was just fine. They seemed to stay longer and didn't job hop as much.

We usually take turns doing all of the extras that would require you to be away from your lane. I hate to stock the $1/$3 section and they know it. I'd rather cashier. Others hate to cashier and stock the $1 area. It all works out in the end.

Ugh, saver spot. I hate nothing more than saver spot and seasonal. Flex bullshit.

My inner perfectionist wants to make it just perfect, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Target's cashiers do a little more work than cashiers of other big box retailers. The fact that you're willing to take on so much more extra work than your peer cashiers says a lot about your work ethic. Keep that up and you'll go far.

Ugh, saver spot. I hate nothing more than saver spot and seasonal. Flex bullshit.

My inner perfectionist wants to make it just perfect, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Me too! I just wanna zone it all perfectly and THEN put the new stuff where it goes. Maybe that's why I can't stand to do that area. hahaha
I can't stand that you have to clean out the correct area and then put the items in their correct spot. :(

If do you like it here, and are kept on past seasonal and eager to impress. I suggest asking to cross train, or maybe moving to the Sales Floor. Being a good Cashier is all well and good, and just as important as a SFTM, but you get to leave a much bigger impression on the sales floor, as you work closer with more leaders in the building, who see the good work you can do.

It also depends on how many permanent positions your store had open before seasonal opened. There was one year where they kept less than 20% of the seasonal workers and another year where the numbers more like half just because we had a ton of team members quit before the season started. If your store is like mine, your age will work against you because it is easier not to have to deal with the hour limitations and extra break time that minors get on longer shifts. Good luck. It is definitely Targets advantage to keep someone who is a hard worker and likes the job.

I'd love to have you at my store. I have three minors and I'm having them cross trained so that they still get hours during the dead zone.

As far as cashiers who don't want to do anything but cashier because they think anything outside of the lanes is extra, pfffttt. You get paid whether you are standing there (aaarrrgh - how painful!) or zoning or running errands or stocking bags. I'd rather be busy and I truly appreciate everyone who thinks the same way I do.

I actively try to get away from the lanes. Don't understand how some can spend 8 hours there without going insane. If they ask to go cover a break in <insert area>, go do <something>, etc I say yes and get the fuck out of there.

I went insane long before they switched me to sales floor. :D When I back-up cash, I think to myself "how the hell did I ever do this for 5.75 hours?"

Me too! I just wanna zone it all perfectly and THEN put the new stuff where it goes. Maybe that's why I can't stand to do that area. hahaha
I can't stand that you have to clean out the correct area and then put the items in their correct spot. :(

Once I learned hardlines, that was it - I couldn't deal with One Spot anymore.

Once I learned hardlines, that was it - I couldn't deal with One Spot anymore.
I go halfway, I do try and put stuff in the right spot but if it's filled with other shit...well every price tag is $1 or $3 so it gets shoved somewhere empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back