Archived New dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've met 4 of our Beauty TMs. All wear makeup, but all but one have pretty natural looks. One wears more dramatic looks and does it well.

I'm a fan of the Ask a Manager site, and she had an "ask the readers" thread about makeup at work. Her audience is office/nonprofit/academia, but it was an interesting thread. Most people at my dayjob either wear little-to-no makeup or look like they came straight from the salon every day. We had a contractor for awhile whose dramatic makeup was downright distracting. The razor precision with which she had her brows painted was fascinating to me. How do people even do that? I can't even manage eyeliner without looking like a racoon.

I don't think you need to pay an arm and a leg for makeup though. If you are fine with the general drugstore brands, I think the makeup/skin care at Target is pretty good but ASANTs as I've been in some stores that don't have near the selection as my store.

Yea drugstore is improving a ton. My store doesn't carry many dark shades unfortunately. The beauty tms probably aren't even wearing shades or brands found in my store lol

They're also being told to wear a full face to work, though. I haven't heard anything about AA dress codes but I guess I'll find out when I have my next sl shift

From the paper I saw(they actually handed out papers on the new code) it all only applies to females. Though there is a guy that is threatening to come in with makeup on!

As for colors, they still say red outer layer and khaki pants
There’s a male beauty TM at my store who wears makeup at work and he honestly rocks it like you go honey

My teenage daughter who is really into make up especially expensive brands swears by that cheap wet N wild foundation. She says its really good.

I just started using the wet n wild foundation because I’ve heard such great things about it. I was genuinely impressed by it.

However at a place like target or Walmart where it’s all drugstore makeup, I wouldn’t really look to anyone in the store for help with makeup because I’d just assume they didn’t really know, unless they had a full face on.
And yet I've had guests asking me, a guy in a security shirt, 5 o'clock shadow, and hair that looks like it got attacked by a weed-whacked, for advise between on the difference between ELF and Pixi. And one of them got upset when I told her I didn't know Jack about it and called for a beauty TM to come over.

At my store, it's still a red shirt and khaki pants. No one said anything about changing it up. All I would like if people would wear a belt and not sag their pants.

I just started using the wet n wild foundation because I’ve heard such great things about it. I was genuinely impressed by it.

The Wet and Wild Photo Focus foundation didn't work for my skin but my skin hates a lot of things. The Maybelline Dewy and Smooth - just awesome! I am too old for a matte foundation and this is honestly great at smoothing out some of the little lines and whatnot and when you set it with just enough powder its not shiny but a nice subtle glow.. And when you powder set and use the Urban Decay all nighter setting spray - it will survive a day at work..

As for A&A, the new rules say no t-shirts, no polos, no v-necks. You must also wear form fitting pants, no denim(even on weekends). Is this just something new happening at my store, or is this company-wide??

At my store, we’ve been told that we can no longer wear hoodies and our shirts have to be red red, not burgundy or maroon. I’m in softlines but I’ve been told the new rule is store wide.

I love working in Beauty but they better not tell me to start wearing any makeup!! I hate it on me and I've managed to live 45+ years without it.

Last edited:
I think this whole thread is should be about " a professional appearance". If your appearance equates a Beauty Expert, whether it's full-face or "au natural" ? So be it. If your appearance equates an A&A "Style" Expert, not simply red/khaki? So be it. But we've got to be brutally honest with what that looks like (or smells like :eek: ) !! It's the whole package: no bedhead, no 'yesterday stank', no ratty, oversized Target 5% tee shirts, no dirty-knee khakis, no dirty athletic shoes.
We want "a professional appearance".

I work beauty and my store has never said anything like this to us at all. They just want us to familiarize ourselves with the products we sell. Either try it or learn about it so we can educate our guests about it but never was our "dresscode" to work this dept. It sounds a bit stereotypical on targets part to employ tm's to these departments based off looks. Cuz in reality it sounds like they subliminally are saying tm's in these e2e depts need to look beautiful to be in beauty and the only way to be beautiful is to throw war paint on ur face everyday cuz ur natural beauty is too ugly for target. Have they seen the faces of the guests that go thru beauty. Cuz not every face packs on the cadaver makeup. Some guest love to see a face they can relate to especially those that like natural. And a variety of ages in that dept too not every guest can relate to young faces with makeup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and target should not have a say in what is considered beautiful. If this is true i really don't see it lasting long cuz just like with the whole gender identification bathroom thing if a straight male wants to work beauty they shouldn't have to wear make up to do it but have that role optional to them based off their work ethics not their face or gender. How can anyone not be offended by this.

I think this whole thread is should be about " a professional appearance". If your appearance equates a Beauty Expert, whether it's full-face or "au natural" ? So be it. If your appearance equates an A&A "Style" Expert, not simply red/khaki? So be it. But we've got to be brutally honest with what that looks like (or smells like :eek: ) !! It's the whole package: no bedhead, no 'yesterday stank', no ratty, oversized Target 5% tee shirts, no dirty-knee khakis, no dirty athletic shoes.
We want "a professional appearance".
I was nodding my head to your post up until that last bit... girl, I need my shoes.

Do I like wearing athletic shoes to work? Not really. And no, I don't think they look all that professional. But I spend too much time hustling around the floor to give up good support, and my shoes eventually come away with some scuff marks to match. :oops:

But, hey, if you know of any flats that are supportive, affordable, and can stand up to frequent abuse, please share! :)

I was nodding my head to your post up until that last bit... girl, I need my shoes.

Do I like wearing athletic shoes to work? Not really. And no, I don't think they look all that professional. But I spend too much time hustling around the floor to give up good support, and my shoes eventually come away with some scuff marks to match. :oops:

But, hey, if you know of any flats that are supportive, affordable, and can stand up to frequent abuse, please share! :)

I've noticed that MOST Target TMs wear athletic shoes. Including my ETL and my STL ! My post was more about "dirty" than "athletic". I know there's some cute, fun Skecher's shoes out there..... some /w Memory Foam ! They sem pretty comfy; and reasonably priced. It's not my personal style, I buy a lot of comfort leather loafers.... but the Skecher's might work! :)

Closest I get are some workwear black Sketchers, yes they are athletic shoes but being a flat black and the style they are they are more work shoe than ratty tennis shoe even when they are ratty. I beat the crap out of mine and the inside of them will be trashed but the outside? Still decent when they go in the bin. They are designed for walking with the non slip, non mar sole so they are comfy when on your feet for hours. I do throw and arch support in them but I have arches that cars could drive under so that is a me specific need not a shoe issue. And a good thing for me, they are non the memory foam ones.

Can't do memory foam as it always seems to develop Alzheimer's o_O

I have boots that mold to your foot but they still have support. Most memory foam just collapses and becomes an uncomfortable, the Sketchers I like have the firm insole but its supportive to you.

And yet I've had guests asking me, a guy in a security shirt, 5 o'clock shadow, and hair that looks like it got attacked by a weed-whacked, for advise between on the difference between ELF and Pixi. And one of them got upset when I told her I didn't know Jack about it and called for a beauty TM to come over.
Hmm they both have vulcan like ears but elves shoot bows and pixes sprinkle dust.

I work beauty and my store has never said anything like this to us at all. They just want us to familiarize ourselves with the products we sell. Either try it or learn about it so we can educate our guests about it but never was our "dresscode" to work this dept. It sounds a bit stereotypical on targets part to employ tm's to these departments based off looks. Cuz in reality it sounds like they subliminally are saying tm's in these e2e depts need to look beautiful to be in beauty and the only way to be beautiful is to throw war paint on ur face everyday cuz ur natural beauty is too ugly for target. Have they seen the faces of the guests that go thru beauty. Cuz not every face packs on the cadaver makeup. Some guest love to see a face they can relate to especially those that like natural. And a variety of ages in that dept too not every guest can relate to young faces with makeup. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and target should not have a say in what is considered beautiful. If this is true i really don't see it lasting long cuz just like with the whole gender identification bathroom thing if a straight male wants to work beauty they shouldn't have to wear make up to do it but have that role optional to them based off their work ethics not their face or gender. How can anyone not be offended by this.

While I love your opinion, unfortunately Target is a business and can dictate that as a part of the dress code for working there? Does it suggest that their Beauty TMs are ugly. No. It suggests that they use the products they are pushing and I have to agree with that.
That being said, you have to realize what you espoused is called 'relative morality'. It basically means 'I'm right because my experience tells me so and no other info can trump my experience'.

That is extremely dangerous view to have in a business because to sell stuff you have to willing to believe they (the guests) are right to convince them the product is valuable and worth the money. The ultimate purpose of Target is to sell things to people. The purpose of our jobs is to facilitate that purpose.

Now if you want to prove me wrong, you are welcome too. However, I have worked in IT when it was nascent repairing peoples systems, I have ran restaurants and a hotel. I write books in my free time and have been doing so since 2000. (all are available because I opted for minor publishers.) So while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, when the bulk of the beholders say this is ugly and I will not give my money to it, and your purpose is to get their money, you demand changes.

That is our Reality. It hasnt changed in 5000 yrs. Its not going to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back