Archived New ETL wanting to change departments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I'm a brand new etl-log and the schedule is absolutly destroying my world! I need to know if there is any way i can speak with HR and get moved to a different department or if this is something that they just would let me go for. I am interested in staying with the company, but the 3am truck unloads with the 2:30am showtimes are just beginning to be too much. Im only two weeks into the training program, and am wondering if this is a possibility, or if there is anyone that can offer any advice on what to do here.

The reason its not working is due to being in grad school (Evening progarm) and Im really struggling to balance life and sleep with school and work.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You might be better off leaving the company to be honest. It can be hard to transfer leadership positions because they assume you can't handle being a leader. You are not the only ETL-LOG that has struggled. We just had one that was becoming sick from the schedule and demands. He was out for a few weeks and ended up leaving the company. He was so big on the company too but the schedule became too much. In another store we had a Flow Key Carrier give it up after 7 years doing it because the demands became too much

If you can stick with it for a while, from what I've seen on the board they may be getting rid of the position so they might shift you to something else anyway.

If you can stick with it for a while, from what I've seen on the board they may be getting rid of the position so they might shift you to something else anyway.
Interesting thought, i have been in this position for only a short time but its quite clear that they can run the entire show with just senior TL's. Whats the reasoning for disolving the position?

Interesting thought, i have been in this position for only a short time but its quite clear that they can run the entire show with just senior TL's. Whats the reasoning for disolving the position?

Some stores don't have a flow team but every department had a morning team that pushes stuff (full end to end) no need for an etl log.

It's unusual to change etl positions in the first 18 months so I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask. Rather than ask your HR this is something you would need to speak to your dtl about they would have to approve any change.

It's unusual to change etl positions in the first 18 months so I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask. Rather than ask your HR this is something you would need to speak to your dtl about they would have to approve any change.
I totally get that but im just nervous about runnig it up the flag pole with the DTL, and having them just decide im not worth the time to move me, or what ever the case is... does that makes sense? Like, how do i approcach it and minimise the possibilty of getting let go... like "hello DTL, hypothetically, what are your thoughts on a move" or how would i go about bringing it up and not risking losing a "bird in the hand" ya know?

You might be better off leaving the company to be honest. It can be hard to transfer leadership positions because they assume you can't handle being a leader. You are not the only ETL-LOG that has struggled. We just had one that was becoming sick from the schedule and demands. He was out for a few weeks and ended up leaving the company. He was so big on the company too but the schedule became too much. In another store we had a Flow Key Carrier give it up after 7 years doing it because the demands became too much
Sounds eerily like our ETL-log . Like the exact person. Is the store near an area where people don't pronounce their "R's"?

I can say I'm in a location where most extend the word "Hey" almost to annoyance. Never caught onto the "R's" but in the location I'm at I wouldn't be surprised.

They will not move new ETL this early into their career. 1, that's setting bad precedent and 2, why spend the resources to transfer if that ETL will likely fail? If you don't like it now, it's probably time to find something else.

I totally get that but im just nervous about runnig it up the flag pole with the DTL, and having them just decide im not worth the time to move me, or what ever the case is... does that makes sense? Like, how do i approcach it and minimise the possibilty of getting let go... like "hello DTL, hypothetically, what are your thoughts on a move" or how would i go about bringing it up and not risking losing a "bird in the hand" ya know?

Well your HR manages team members at the store. I don't understand what you're trying to do? Get your HR to gauge whether the dtl will let you move?

You need to have the balls to ask, suck up your position for the 18 months or quit. I don't really get what you're asking.

You could always ask your STL their thoughts but my understanding is they have little say in titles.

ETL positions are typically on 18 month rotations. They will not switch you unless it benefits them to do so.

Sounds like you need to decide what is more important. Work or grad school. To be honest starting a new role like ETL it's probably going to be hard to balance both no matter what schedule you are on.

ETL positions are typically on 18 month rotations. They will not switch you unless it benefits them to do so.

Sounds like you need to decide what is more important. Work or grad school. To be honest starting a new role like ETL it's probably going to be hard to balance both no matter what schedule you are on.
I'm sure being an ETL already is rough. ETL PLUS grad school??!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back