Archived New Flow TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ani

Hello!
I'm interviewing for a flow team leader position soon and was just wondering what to expect. The interview is with the DTL, I've already been through 2 interviews with an ETL, and STL & HR. I've been given great feedback and was told I interviewed exceptionally well. If I get the position, what can I expect as far as training goes? I am excited and nervous about logistics. I will have a lot to learn as far as equipment and the whole process of flow works. I've worked at Target as a Planogram TM for just under a year, and have 12 years of previous management experience. As POG, we set the aisles and push product. We generally don't do much more than that, in my store at least. I haven't used any of the backroom equipment except for when I was trained. I'm a little nervous about that too. I am a very hard worker and love to work alongside my team. I CAN do this. I am just a little worried about learning the process and getting through my interview. Any advice? What's a typical morning for a flow TL? Thanks for any input.

Some stores are overnight, 4am or 6am. Also, hours are reduced to 3 to 4 hours shifts. There is a new caf process in place.
Here is how one store does it at a 6am store.

Since the AE changes this year have affected many, if not all, processes, I decided to make a new guide specific to a few of us. I've been in role for about 3 months and feel pretty knowledgeable about the flow process in general and want to share my ideas in hopes for suggestions and to give ideas to others.

To start, my store gets 4 RDC trailers per week and 5 FDC trailers per week. My RDC trailers are, on average, 2200-2500 pieces/cartons. 6 a.m. start!

Flow
Staffing during truck: 24-26
11 on unload(2 throwers, 1 scanner, 5 on one push side, 3 on hybrid push/backstock side)
1 breaking out HBA (in carts)
4 breaking out softlines (pallet runner, detrashers, z-rack organizer)
1 breaking out Seasonal, HIPA, Sport, Toys, Housewares, Domestics (believe me, it works)
2 pallet runners that bowl grocery/paper/chem
1 breaking out and pushing electronics
4-6 Stocking grocery as it is being bowled to them
Backroom
4-5 pullers/ backstockers dependent on day
---------
Truck done between 7:10 and 7:35 (very inconsistent; dependent on pallet timing and push)
Unload Team meanders out to help original grocery stockers to finish and get all pallets off the floor.
-Two valleys are actually put on flats during unload to minimize pallets on the floor after 8(cereal/chips/snacks)
-1 TM begins pets doing bulk and starting push
When we are down to the remaining two flats, many split off
-6-8 go to HBA
-2 go to plastic
-4-6 stay on the flats
-----------(9a.m.-15 min. break) HBA usually finished, Housewares about halfway, Stationary started
HBA goes to Cosmetics and stationary
Plastics and Pets go to Housewares(wave) stationary
Grocery Flat TMs meet up in Housewares(wave)
-2 from HBA and 1 from plastics go to stationary
Housewares jumps across softlines floor pad and pushes to the back of the store through HIPA, Sport, Toys, Domestics and onto FDC then mini seasonal/candy.
-Softlines usually finishes about the time they get to Domestics.
-Electronics finishes by 11:45
Team finishes RDC and FDC by 11:45
Backroom finish varies between 12:30pm and 3pm

FloorReplenishor, Jul 7, 2014

5 FDC trailers per week
and no mention of how many people are on this, i guess its like my store who really cares about pfresh !!!!!
ummmmm, FDC is a truck and it is FLOW responsibility now come on over and put a TL in charge so it gets done in a reasonable amount of time please !

and no mention of how many people are on this, i guess its like my store who really cares about pfresh !!!!!
ummmmm, FDC is a truck and it is FLOW responsibility now come on over and put a TL in charge so it gets done in a reasonable amount of time please !
Your FDC trucks get done? Ours get 80% done and we have 2-3 pallets left over to eventually get done if not just added to the push for the next FDC truck.

Any words of encouragement or advice on winning the team over? I don't really know anyone on my new team. I've said "hi" here and there in passing, but that's it. When I was promoted they all seemed indifferent and/ or shocked... I'm not "who they think I am" (I get the vibe that they think I'm quiet, shy, etc ) I am actually really funny and relatable. Just not a very bubbly person...which in my past management roles hasn't been a problem, but I feel differently this time. I don't want to be fake, so I don't know. I have a ton of youngsters on my team too, which I have nerves about being able to relate to them. I know I'll have to win them over by working hard and showing them who and what I'm about..but I want them to be comfortable talking to me and working with me.

Some stores are overnight, 4am or 6am. Also, hours are reduced to 3 to 4 hours shifts. There is a new caf process in place.
Here is how one store does it at a 6am store.

Since the AE changes this year have affected many, if not all, processes, I decided to make a new guide specific to a few of us. I've been in role for about 3 months and feel pretty knowledgeable about the flow process in general and want to share my ideas in hopes for suggestions and to give ideas to others.

To start, my store gets 4 RDC trailers per week and 5 FDC trailers per week. My RDC trailers are, on average, 2200-2500 pieces/cartons. 6 a.m. start!

Flow
Staffing during truck: 24-26
11 on unload(2 throwers, 1 scanner, 5 on one push side, 3 on hybrid push/backstock side)
1 breaking out HBA (in carts)
4 breaking out softlines (pallet runner, detrashers, z-rack organizer)
1 breaking out Seasonal, HIPA, Sport, Toys, Housewares, Domestics (believe me, it works)
2 pallet runners that bowl grocery/paper/chem
1 breaking out and pushing electronics
4-6 Stocking grocery as it is being bowled to them
Backroom
4-5 pullers/ backstockers dependent on day
---------
Truck done between 7:10 and 7:35 (very inconsistent; dependent on pallet timing and push)
Unload Team meanders out to help original grocery stockers to finish and get all pallets off the floor.
-Two valleys are actually put on flats during unload to minimize pallets on the floor after 8(cereal/chips/snacks)
-1 TM begins pets doing bulk and starting push
When we are down to the remaining two flats, many split off
-6-8 go to HBA
-2 go to plastic
-4-6 stay on the flats
-----------(9a.m.-15 min. break) HBA usually finished, Housewares about halfway, Stationary started
HBA goes to Cosmetics and stationary
Plastics and Pets go to Housewares(wave) stationary
Grocery Flat TMs meet up in Housewares(wave)
-2 from HBA and 1 from plastics go to stationary
Housewares jumps across softlines floor pad and pushes to the back of the store through HIPA, Sport, Toys, Domestics and onto FDC then mini seasonal/candy.
-Softlines usually finishes about the time they get to Domestics.
-Electronics finishes by 11:45
Team finishes RDC and FDC by 11:45
Backroom finish varies between 12:30pm and 3pm

FloorReplenishor, Jul 7, 2014

I would give my left nut to have that many people to unload a truck

Any words of encouragement or advice on winning the team over? I don't really know anyone on my new team. I've said "hi" here and there in passing, but that's it. When I was promoted they all seemed indifferent and/ or shocked... I'm not "who they think I am" (I get the vibe that they think I'm quiet, shy, etc ) I am actually really funny and relatable. Just not a very bubbly person...which in my past management roles hasn't been a problem, but I feel differently this time. I don't want to be fake, so I don't know. I have a ton of youngsters on my team too, which I have nerves about being able to relate to them. I know I'll have to win them over by working hard and showing them who and what I'm about..but I want them to be comfortable talking to me and working with me.

Be willing to do the crappy areas that no one wants to do, show the team you can work your butt off. It will go a very long way.

Reactions: Ani
Work with them. Lead by example.

One word: Respect. Give them the respect they deserve. Earn their respect. It doesn't matter how much you try to talk to them if they feel like you look down on them. Be genuine with recognition. Set realistic goal times. Find out what makes them tick. Listen. Even if you don't have time, make time for them. You want to make them feel valued while they are at work. Manners work wonders; it's amazing what a please and thank you will do for morale.

If you aren't why they think you are, then you need to find situations to show them who you are. I have a serious case of RBF, so my team didn't know what to expect at first. I found they were hesitant to let me know what was going on. It took time but they got used to it. My team knows I trust them and am behind them 100%. It works out for me, because all their hard work makes my life easier.

We cannot even do 4 FDC trucks a week right ours are about 1200 pieces each time only 4 TMs pushing for 5.5 hours and leave 1 to 2 freezer pallets. It's such a shame that there is not more emphasis on pfresh.

I've found with management in general that as long as you don't micro manage, and get attitudes about stuff constantly and make it a little fun, then you are golden. I find alot of my coworkers complain mostly about feeling like management is up their ass for no reason and acting like they are stupid with the micro managing. Good luck!!

Reactions: Ani
If you aren't why they think you are, then you need to find situations to show them who you are. I have a serious case of RBF, so my team didn't know what to expect at first. I found they were hesitant to let me know what was going on. It took time but they got used to it. My team knows I trust them and am behind them 100%. It works out for me, because all their hard work makes my life easier.

I have severe RBF too. :( The struggle is too real. :eek::oops::p

Your FDC trucks get done? Ours get 80% done and we have 2-3 pallets left over to eventually get done if not just added to the push for the next FDC truck.
Good grief, how many people? We've got 2-3 and, while it's not always completely done, they at least get through everything in reasonable time (though they could really pick up the pace). ... Ok, one could say "4".

But then, "FDC" is Frozen-Dairy (and Produce) exclusively, and they do it overnight, nobody really does Dairy or Frozen in the day so it's kind of imperative a truck is finished in a single night. The "Meat" and "Produce" are considered separate entities since they have dedicated teams that work on them throughout the day.

Same frozen dairy meat produce etc just 2 PAs usually for full shift(the TL is really flaky and on their way out), sometimes get assistance from flow for 3 hour shifts 2-4 people. We get 9-14 pallets pretty regularly. Not overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back