Archived New girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello out there!

I just accepted a GSTL position, and I'm so excited to get started. I've been an avid Target shopper for decades and have a cousin in corporate and an aunt who retired as a store manager several years ago.

I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered later this week when I go through my orientation, but for now I'm curious on a few points...
  • What is your favorite thing about working at Target?
  • What are the most important qualities in a TL?
  • What is something about a TL you've worked with that made you crazy that I should avoid?
Thanks y'all!
Looking forward to donning the khaki and red.

1.) Favorite thing would have to be an atmosphere at the front lanes. I don't like doing cashier so much, but my managers and cashier friends make everything better. I get to see my cart attendant friends, electronics, hardlines buddies etc

2.) Respect, humility, and a sense of dignity. One that accepts they have authority over TMs, but don't abuse it.

3.) Constant check ups on a TM "So you getting any redcards today?" "Hey how are carts going? Let me tell you how to do your job repeatedly every shift..." are some things I've gotten really annoyed by. I can understand pressuring TMs to get redcards, but constantly pulling me aside once or twice every shift to talk about redcards is meh. One GSTL here apparently really picks on my cart attendants, and I seem to be the one immune to that. It's actually the same GSTL that bugged me about redcards, but also stopped that.

Just find out who your cashiers are, accommodate to their situation, and find your strengths and weaknesses, when someone deserves to "get talked to", and find faith in your cashiers and cart attendants. Be personable, remind them that you're also human and you will lots of respect. When you need backups but no one's replying, don't be afraid to call out certain people by name... ;-) it may come in handy.

I'm sure other people have much better advice and opinions than me, I had trouble describing what a good TL is because I've had really awesome management all around at my store, so I don't know bad from good.

Welcome to TBR! Don't let anyone know you use this website... remain completely anonymous.

What is something about a TL you've worked with that made you crazy that I should avoid?

Gstls are usually among the least popular team leads. I am fortunate my store has two rock stars but usually I can't stand them.

Here's how you can set your self apart.

A) DO recognize the people who come up to the lanes to backup. You don't want them to ignore your calls for backup. I would recommend printing the report of the non cashier's with the most transactions then requisition Starbucks for them or some prize.

B) DON'T call for backup then never get people off the lanes. If you can have your cashier's coming back from break get salesfloor off the lanes they will keep backing up.

C) DO send a cashier to the floor to help zone when things slow down. Salesfloor will appreciate it.

D) if you coach your cashier's for red cards fine but don't bother the salesfloor about them. They won't backup.

E) Do use your grid. If the same people are backing up every time. Use the store grid to call out those who aren't responding for backup.

F) get your cashier's respect. Back them.up when guest try to scam them. Don't say yes when they say no (unless they are being irrational)

Great tips so far, thanks! I haven't trained at all yet, so a lot of what you said reads like Greek to me, but I'm sure it will all make sense soon.

And you are starting as a GSTL? You have been a cashier before or worked in retail, I hope? Good luck...you will definitely get a crash course.

Welcome to Target and welcome to The Break Room.

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome! :)

• What are the most important qualities in a TL?

TMs often tell me that they like a Leader because they "treat them like a human being" (as opposed to being another body). Simple things such as saying "Hi [insert TM name]! How are you doing today?" make a big difference. Get to know them as people. Establish rapport.

• What is something about a TL you've worked with that made you crazy that I should avoid?

Sometimes, Leaders would say that they need an X amount of TMs hired for their team because they don't have enough people. Then, when we set up interviews for them, they have this attitude like, "Dang it, HR, why do I have to do so many interviews?" This always annoys me because they are the ones who asked for our assistance in staffing.

Leaders who play favorites are problematic. People do notice the favoritism and that has a negative impact on the team.

Leaders who have a huge workload, get stressed out, and take it out on Team Members are crappy people. Please don't be condescending to your team no matter how stressed out you become.

TLs who try to work off the clock since they have a huge workload. Don't do it since you can get fired for it.

Welcome! :)

TMs often tell me that they like a Leader because they "treat them like a human being" (as opposed to being another body). Simple things such as saying "Hi [insert TM name]! How are you doing today?" make a big difference. Get to know them as people. Establish rapport.

Sometimes, Leaders would say that they need an X amount of TMs hired for their team because they don't have enough people. Then, when we set up interviews for them, they have this attitude like, "Dang it, HR, why do I have to do so many interviews?" This always annoys me because they are the ones who asked for our assistance in staffing.

Leaders who play favorites are problematic. People do notice the favoritism and that has a negative impact on the team.

Leaders who have a huge workload, get stressed out, and take it out on Team Members are crappy people. Please don't be condescending to your team no matter how stressed out you become.

TLs who try to work off the clock since they have a huge workload. Don't do it since you can get fired for it.
I play favorites to motivate my team. It works, they all want to please me.

Welcome to the Break Room!

My favorite thing about working at Target is the people, honestly. I'm blessed to have a great team at my store who are friendly, hard working and open. In addition, I very rarely have had any problem guests, so, I really feel like it's something of a second home.

As for the most important qualities of a TL, I'd say try to not let things get to you. You'll have days where it's overwhelming and you might have TMs that might be slow or problematic. Even if the day is stressful try to at least maintain a professional and upbeat attitude if you can. It really helps both the team and the Guests from what I've seen with my own TLs.

As for something that makes me crazy a TL has done? I'd say always show appreciation for the work your TMs do. Even if it's something as simple as a 'Thanks for your work today.' when they call out they're leaving. It really makes those of us on the lower rungs feel like we're important and appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back