Archived New GSA questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So I made GSA about a month ago, started training the week before last, covered a few shifts on my own but with a GSA working GS or Sbux in case I needed help. I have my first real shift, a Friday close, this week and had some questions about some things I've noticed in my shifts and training.

Just as background, we're a ULV store, with one opening GSA/GSTL and one closing GSA/GSTL. We don't actually have a GSTL anymore. GSTL duties are being done by the SBTL, but it's really just the GSAs. If there's a GSA working, there's no GSTL.

1. Establishing authority: Our store gives GSAs a lot of independence, with ETLs and the SBTL rarely stepping in for much of anything Our old GSTL micromanaged but now it's a free for all. However I'm having trouble establishing myself as a GSA with the other cashiers. We have four GSAs. Our other new GSA came from softlines, and our next newest GSA was an external hire. I'm the only GSA who came from cashier, and most of the cashiers are older and more experienced than me (I'm 21 and have worked at Target 10 months not including LOA. I got promoted because I learned quickly, became global, and am good with guests). They still see me as a cashier. That I was a GSA was never even communicated to them, so they'd ask things like why am I not on a lane or why do I have a walkie. Even now that they know, I still get "who do you think you are?" looks when I ask them to do things like zone or collect reshop. They also do things like leave lanes on their own to go to the bathroom or clock out or go to break (they look at the schedule) leaving me wondering where they went. And they overstay their breaks by tacking on bathroom breaks at the ends. How can I establish a bit more authority? Only the brand new cashiers listen to me at all.

2. Performance: Getting rid of speed scores was a mistake, and the post-speed score cashiers are slow AF, especially one. The other GSAs agree that it makes no sense that we have to call for 2 backups when there's 3 cashiers and 3 people in each line and we're already on express because it takes them on average 10-20 minutes to check out a guest. There's nothing to hold them to now, so how can we improve that?

3. Efficiency/consistency: How can I get the newer and a few older cashiers to follow best practice to make all of our lives easier? Cashiers never put in change requests. They just tell me they're low, and I often have to put the request in before actually filling it. The new ones don't turn on flashers no matter how much we tell them to. They just yell our names out. They put used giftcards with the promo gift cards. they throw coupons away. They let guests take flats and 3 tiers out to the lot. They let receipt paper run completely out. They put reshop on the end of the lane Most of the time I don't see these things being done. I just see the result so we have no idea who does it. And no matter how much we tell them to do these things, it never gets done. It's hard to tell all of them because not all of them are on the same shifts.

Good to hear the GSAs get independence and no one is up your ass. For authority, the only thing I can think of, is if your the one running the damn lanes, just don't be to pushy/rude with it - but "I'm watching the front for the new few hours. I need you to zone the card wall/one spot..." etc. Try to get on there level/point. Let it be known, your running the front.

Does your store have SCOs? I'd for #2 just be straight up honest, or make it in a way (nicely) that they know your keeping an eye on them.

Let them know, you need the request made for efficiency. Taking out a flat at my store was a fireable offense. I saw a new cashier as well have the register open, walk away a few feet and then come back to it. Some cashiers just suck, and you'll realize that. Maybe ask how the other GSAs do it and if they are getting the same result. If your the only one who came from a cashier you know there pain. Best of luck to you.

When you're coming to fill the drawer, what are you saying to them? Tell them that if they don't request the money, then drawers will be off. Do they know how to request it themselves? If not, show them.

As for GCs: That's one thing that still drives me mad after 9 months. It was going OK until our front end had a near complete revamp, but most of our new TMs seem to be doing well with pitching them after they're used up.

Need to get a lot of Red cards. I didn't hear you say encourage or moviate the team. Lead by example, listen, &'support your team. A GSA who no power to coach or write up. A hotel lobby mindset is needed, these days...

I think the best way for a GSA to earn respect is to stand up for your cashiers. Give good recognition for performance be it candy, Starbucks etc.

When your cashier's have an issue with a guest, if it's reasonable have their back. If you have time do some bagging, empty hangers and reshop.

Cashier's should see that you are for them. Not just that you want to tell them what to do.

I think the best way for a GSA to earn respect is to stand up for your cashiers. Give good recognition for performance be it candy, Starbucks etc.

When your cashier's have an issue with a guest, if it's reasonable have their back. If you have time do some bagging, empty hangers and reshop.

Cashier's should see that you are for them. Not just that you want to tell them what to do.
Yeah I have been trying to show them that I'm still one of them. I'll get on a lane, I'll zone and do reshop. I don't get much chance to have my cashiers' backs because none of them do any thinking of their own and actually deny the guest anything. If you're not watching them, they'll accept and override anything that doesn't need supervisor numbers without question. I do recognize them though. I call them out when they do something good, I make sure my backups get off their lanes in a timely manner. But yeah. Some of the older cashiers I think are kinda resentful of how fast I made GSA. Our veteran SDTM shook her head when I told her I'm a GSA now.

This sounds like hell. I was a cashier as well before I was promoted to GSA and (just a bit later GSTL). I was only 18 when I started covering GSTL lunch/breaks so I would get the same amount of looks. Cashiers would walk off on me as well, deem I am too bossy, etc. most cashiers don't know my real age however unless I admit to it. Many believe I am in my 20s.. I am 19. What I began to do to gain respect was treat my cashiers as they would want to be treated. I was a cashier once as well.. so I know what everything is like (red cards, guests, etc). So I empathized with them and let them know "hey I get it but the expectation is that you ask every single guest." Or "If a guest is giving you a hard time.. just know you can always call me over and I'll be there to help." I step in and do tasks that GSTLs "shouldn't" have to do at times.. hop on a lane for a cashier to finish their line of guests and grab another line of guests when it's guest first (note I always do this if and only I have another GSA/GSTL with me on deck and they're not stepping up), help out at guest services without being prompted to do so, ask every single guest for a red card when appropriate and get sign ups, etc. Just little examples from my daily GSTL life. I have also stepped in for other fellow GSTL/GSAs and worked OT shifts if they had an emergency, (I have worked open to close GSTL shifts before! On holidays! And this was when I had just became GSA).. for the cashiers who I deem act in a defiant or disrespectful manner towards me or other team members I had to pull them aside and take them into my office and sit them down. I would use "I statements" and explain how myself and other team members truly felt. Sometimes I would bring the other team member alongside them. I wasn't afraid to deliver CCA/coachings/finals on extreme behaviors (NC/NS is always an instant CCA, bullying, extremely long breaks, being downright disrespectful, etc).. at first it felt odd to me that I would be delivering one of these to a cashier who is more than twice my age and I tried to not get used to it because I dislike doing these forms of documentation. Also, always let the cashiers know that you HAVE THEIR BACK! I always let them know I am there for them and that there is "no stupid question". Lead by example! I also reward excellent behavior/progress. (SBUX, Food Ave, Bullseye Merch, Target Dollars, etc.) Anyways, I hope I was of some support, and congratulations on your new GSA position!! :)

Last edited:
I had to pull them aside and take them into my office and sit them down. I would use "I statements" and explain how myself and other team members truly felt. Sometimes I would bring the other team member alongside them. I wasn't afraid to deliver CCA/coachings/finals on extreme behaviors (NC/NS is always an instant CCA, bullying, extremely long breaks, being downright disrespectful, etc).

Awesome post this is the tricky thing about GSA, you can't do any of those things.

So I'm getting promoted to GSA, haven't even finished my 90 days and I have never even worked or learned guest service LOL this should be fun
Enjoy the extra dollar an hour. I told them that I'd never do it. Our cashiers suck. One of them has been there 18 years and still screwed up WIC in front of Steritec.

So I'm getting promoted to GSA, haven't even finished my 90 days and I have never even worked or learned guest service LOL this should be fun

Lol you're awesome!

Enjoy the extra dollar an hour. I told them that I'd never do it. Our cashiers suck. One of them has been there 18 years and still screwed up WIC in front of Steritec.

What dollar? It's 50 cents. That's why gsa is the worst position in the store work relative to pay.

If you can use it as a stepping stone it's not too bad.

What dollar? It's 50 cents. That's why gsa is the worst position in the store work relative to pay.

If you can use it as a stepping stone it's not too bad.

One of the kids at our store requested (and got) a dollar.

ETA: One of the latest sources of amusement is watching our cashiers. I had to ask to be moved because I was getting anxious and borderline homicidal. The scores wouldn't be red, they'd be black. I have never seen anything like it. God help me if I am scanning items at Target when I am 75 years old.

Yikes. How much above base is a GSTL? Maybe GSAs should get half that, even though they do the same thing lol

I've never heard of non leadership negotiating pay.

When you literally have nobody to do it, and it's a difference of $11.50 versus $12.00, is that hard to believe? Kid was making $11 an hour. Now he makes $12.

$0.50 is $20 a week if you get 40 hours. Payroll can cover that. What they can't cover is 40 hours of no GSA.

I personally negotiated my higher pay when I had a change of workcenter.

Depends on your district leadership. Mine doesn't allow them to negotiate non team lead pay. It's generally frowned upon but you don't know if you don't ask.

Fyi 1 dollar raise to be a gsa is an insult.

Hey guys. So I made GSA about a month ago, started training the week before last, covered a few shifts on my own but with a GSA working GS or Sbux in case I needed help. I have my first real shift, a Friday close, this week and had some questions about some things I've noticed in my shifts and training.

Just as background, we're a ULV store, with one opening GSA/GSTL and one closing GSA/GSTL. We don't actually have a GSTL anymore. GSTL duties are being done by the SBTL, but it's really just the GSAs. If there's a GSA working, there's no GSTL.

1. Establishing authority: Our store gives GSAs a lot of independence, with ETLs and the SBTL rarely stepping in for much of anything Our old GSTL micromanaged but now it's a free for all. However I'm having trouble establishing myself as a GSA with the other cashiers. We have four GSAs. Our other new GSA came from softlines, and our next newest GSA was an external hire. I'm the only GSA who came from cashier, and most of the cashiers are older and more experienced than me (I'm 21 and have worked at Target 10 months not including LOA. I got promoted because I learned quickly, became global, and am good with guests). They still see me as a cashier. That I was a GSA was never even communicated to them, so they'd ask things like why am I not on a lane or why do I have a walkie. Even now that they know, I still get "who do you think you are?" looks when I ask them to do things like zone or collect reshop. They also do things like leave lanes on their own to go to the bathroom or clock out or go to break (they look at the schedule) leaving me wondering where they went. And they overstay their breaks by tacking on bathroom breaks at the ends. How can I establish a bit more authority? Only the brand new cashiers listen to me at all.

2. Performance: Getting rid of speed scores was a mistake, and the post-speed score cashiers are slow AF, especially one. The other GSAs agree that it makes no sense that we have to call for 2 backups when there's 3 cashiers and 3 people in each line and we're already on express because it takes them on average 10-20 minutes to check out a guest. There's nothing to hold them to now, so how can we improve that?

3. Efficiency/consistency: How can I get the newer and a few older cashiers to follow best practice to make all of our lives easier? Cashiers never put in change requests. They just tell me they're low, and I often have to put the request in before actually filling it. The new ones don't turn on flashers no matter how much we tell them to. They just yell our names out. They put used giftcards with the promo gift cards. they throw coupons away. They let guests take flats and 3 tiers out to the lot. They let receipt paper run completely out. They put reshop on the end of the lane Most of the time I don't see these things being done. I just see the result so we have no idea who does it. And no matter how much we tell them to do these things, it never gets done. It's hard to tell all of them because not all of them are on the same shifts.

1) Establishing authority: This is done by holding your cashiers accountable. Be understanding (this is where you get your respect because unlike other GSAs you was a cashier first and they know you been there before) but stern.

You have to have conversations with your cashiers when they take excessive breaks, avoid zoning, etc. Partner with the SBTL and have these conversations. The TL can document them for you. They'll quickly start cleaning up their act.

2) Performance: This is all done by training. For example in my store I implemented a refresh week (the first week out of the month). I don't care how long you been a cashier we go over ways to more efficient, security concerns, expectations, engagement, etc. Doing this every month also accounts for new cashiers as our store is always hiring.

3) Consistency: If you consistently do the two prior steps this will be solved.

Any more ways I can help let me know. You're in a good position to become a TL since they're giving you a lot of Independence.

The most important thing I can say is never act like you're above them. My cashiers have my back because they know I have theirs. Also there is nothing I'll tell them to do that I'm not willing to do myself.

I turned down GSA several times as well. Then I wanted weekends off as I do freelance work. Took GSA and under 6 months became TL. Use it as a stepping stone if you can.

But I have another job and there isn't a way to make that work since GSA requires more availability than I can give or want to give...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back