Archived New LOD is ruining my Target work experience :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEED TO VENT!! We had a GSTL recently get promoted to LOD/srtl/etl/(Target acronym for salesfloor manager) so she's now over the salesfloor team rather than the cashiers. She was annoying enough as the GSTL constantly calling for back up every time it even looked like one person might have to wait in line. She would be relentless. If backup did not appear in seconds she'd call it out again and again. Well now that she's the LOD she's even worse! I seriously had to take deep breaths at work over the weekend to keep from stressing out. Every 20 minutes or she so is asking everyone where they are at in their zone. And she isn't friendly about it. Then she reminds us of how much time is left to get through the rest of it. She nags and nags and nags constantly all through the evening so much so that some of my team members turned off their walkies. I was tempted to do that as well! It's like she thinks we are little kids and don't know what our jobs are. I really resent the way she is treating us. The attitude in the store was awful. THEN she was pushing all day/night for cashiers and everyone to get red cards..... get a red card, get a red card, GET A RED CARD!! She even started asking each employee if they had a red card and if not was pushing them to sign up. She was trying to talk a 19 year old college student that works at our store part time into getting the Target credit card so she could meet her quota for the night. No 19 year old should have their own credit card! If I have to work with her often I will definitely find another place to work. Any advice on who to complain to? I loved my little part time job at Target until this past weekend. I don't want to go back now. :(

Last edited:
Well whatever new position she has put her over the salesfloor when she works. I can't keep track of all the acronyms for manager that Target has.

Well I think you have a few options:
  1. You could apply for a new position if their are any open in your store. Like the backroom, she probably won't bother you as much back there.
  2. If you really dislike her and can't work with her, you could transfer to a different target if your ETL HR lets you.
  3. You could complain about her to the hotline or to your ETL HR but I doubt anything will really happen.
  4. Lastly, you could suck it up. A lot of new ETLs start off like that because they are trying to see who stay focus when it comes to zoning and etc. If you prove to her that you know what you are doing and you can do it in a timely manner then I'm sure she will stop checking up on you all the time. At my old store all my ETLs knew I zoned fast so they check up on me once and that was it.
There may be more options but this is what came to my head first.

Thanks for the suggestions. What she does is go down the list of those that are zoning to get progress updates so she won't likely leave anyone out just because she knows they are doing their job. This is something other LODs do too but they don't do it as frequently or in such a negative naggy way. I get that they need to know where things stand periodically, who might need help, who is going to be done ahead of time and can assist others but this is seriously like every 20 minutes. And if you don't reply right away she keeps repeating your name over and over. Some have been helping guests and some were on break or lunch when she was relentlessly calling them out. Just very frustrating!

When we had a GSTL acting that way....speaking down to team members, "nagging", treating them like children...HR reined them in real quick. I don't know if HR is as efficient at your store, but it might be worth a visit to your HR-ETL. You just have to word it correctly...though your HR won't be able to do anything about the RedCard thing unless that TM goes to HR and tells them that he is feeling exploited or that he feels like Target is trying to make a sale off of him.

Our HR-ETL is awesome and I have a good working relationship with her. I have been thinking about talking to her. I just don't know when I'll see her again because they rotate shifts and I only work part time evenings. I guess I'll have to be patient.

The LOD last night hit us all up to get a red card. I wonder about the appropriateness of that. I'm going to ask.

I NEED TO VENT!! We had a GSTL recently get promoted to LOD/srtl/etl/(Target acronym for salesfloor manager) so she's now over the salesfloor team rather than the cashiers. She was annoying enough as the GSTL constantly calling for back up every time it even looked like one person might have to wait in line. She would be relentless. If backup did not appear in seconds she'd call it out again and again. Well now that she's the LOD she's even worse! I seriously had to take deep breaths at work over the weekend to keep from stressing out. Every 20 minutes or she so is asking everyone where they are at in their zone. And she isn't friendly about it. Then she reminds us of how much time is left to get through the rest of it. She nags and nags and nags constantly all through the evening so much so that some of my team members turned off their walkies. I was tempted to do that as well! It's like she thinks we are little kids and don't know what our jobs are. I really resent the way she is treating us. The attitude in the store was awful. THEN she was pushing all day/night for cashiers and everyone to get red cards..... get a red card, get a red card, GET A RED CARD!! She even started asking each employee if they had a red card and if not was pushing them to sign up. She was trying to talk a 19 year old college student that works at our store part time into getting the Target credit card so she could meet her quota for the night. No 19 year old should have their own credit card! If I have to work with her often I will definitely find another place to work. Any advice on who to complain to? I loved my little part time job at Target until this past weekend. I don't want to go back now. :(
No 19 year old should have a credit card? Really? It's a great way to build credit and set yourself up for post college.

I'm sorry but your LOD is doing their job by managing expectations. They may be overboard with being naggy, but rest assured the etl-hr/STL probably has their back since they were recently promoted. Go ahead and talk to HR, Maybe they will tone it down a bit. But in general they're doing nothing they can get in trouble for.

Also like another poster said, they are probably just going a bit overboard since they're new. Do your job and don't let it get to you. If you start being passive aggressive with the LOD, you won't win my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our HR-ETL is awesome and I have a good working relationship with her. I have been thinking about talking to her. I just don't know when I'll see her again because they rotate shifts and I only work part time evenings. I guess I'll have to be patient.

The LOD last night hit us all up to get a red card. I wonder about the appropriateness of that. I'm going to ask.

Don't.

You'll be swimming against the tide.
The fact is the company wants this and if the person is carrying things too far well you are putting yourself in a bad place by speaking up/
Be patient, keep your head down, and don't make yourself a target (so to speak.)

I call them out. Like we used to have an LOD who called every 30 minutes for an update, and so i would literally reply "This is HL- team member CM.. I am about 30 minutes further than the last update you requested.. give me an hour before your next update and i'll probably be out of A.. ".. As long as you say it positively and without insulting them they really can't get you for insubordination or anything.

Your Sr. TL is just trying to prove themselves in their new position. They are trying too hard. They typically tone down within a couple months or so. We had a senior who was a real hard ass and us veterans really punched it to him. He is pretty laid back now until you don't get your shit done.

Stay friendly and positive.. Throw in a couple comments so they realize they are being unreasonably naggy.. and see what happens.. lol

Or just do like half my store does and say "I am with guest" if we can't clearly see a line forming behind the registers. They leave you alone.. and think you are super vibers!!

I'd imagine it is not looked upon kindly to hit up TMs to get Red Cards personally, especially a Credit Card, and I imagine that it actually against the law somehow.

Although I haven't heard within the last 5 seconds about the AMAZING benefits of the Red Card, so can someone remind me?

Or just do like half my store does and say "I am with guest" if we can't clearly see a line forming behind the registers. They leave you alone.. and think you are super vibers!!

My excuse is "I have Elimin-Xed" all over myself. Usually it is true however, as they never seem to fail to call for me when I am wrist deep in some type of glove, rubbing the shit out of something with some type of probable noxious chemical.

Although I haven't heard within the last 5 seconds about the AMAZING benefits of the Red Card, so can someone remind me?

They're amazing!

You save 5% on every purchase.
We give 1% back to a school of your choice.
You can get free shipping online.
The 5% off also applies to the starbucks in our store, which is like, totally, super amazing.

K, better now?

My excuse is "I have Elimin-Xed" all over myself. Usually it is true however, as they never seem to fail to call for me when I am wrist deep in some type of glove, rubbing the shit out of something with some type of probable noxious chemical.

Yeah I know right.. lol. POGS is, "I have fixtures on the ground" Price Change Is "I have a strand of tickets a mile long, give me a second" poor HL and SL.. lol.. unless they got a spill they are stuck.

They're amazing!

The 5% off also applies to the starbucks in our store, which is like, totally, super amazing.

K, better now?

Don't forget the extended return period ;)

They're amazing!

K, better now?

I am sorry, I was in the Freezer and couldn't hear, could you repeat that please?

So tempting, everyday.

Get proof that she did something bad and squeal on her. If not, you're sadly screwed. Good luck.

Be patient, keep your head down, and don't make yourself a target (so to speak.)

this. I have learned that - eventually - everyone [in a position of authority] moves on. They are promoted, they quit, etc. Best thing you can do is keep doing your job.

I call them out. Like we used to have an LOD who called every 30 minutes for an update, and so i would literally reply "This is HL- team member CM.. I am about 30 minutes further than the last update you requested.. give me an hour before your next update and i'll probably be out of A.. ".. As long as you say it positively and without insulting them they really can't get you for insubordination or anything.

Your Sr. TL is just trying to prove themselves in their new position. They are trying too hard. They typically tone down within a couple months or so. We had a senior who was a real hard ass and us veterans really punched it to him. He is pretty laid back now until you don't get your shit done.

Stay friendly and positive.. Throw in a couple comments so they realize they are being unreasonably naggy.. and see what happens.. lol

Ugh. Reminds me of the time that I was doing a small project, and an ETL called me out personally to back up cashier. I started walking to the front, and I got stopped by a guest. I said over the walkie "I was stopped by a guest, and I'm unable to back up".

Cue ETL asking "are you finished with your project, yet?" seconds after I announced I was with a guest.

Jenna thinks to herself "Uh, no. asshole. You called me out to cashier, and when I was walking up from the back of the store I was stopped. As a matter of fact, I am not finished with that project."

:head desk:

Thanks for all the replies. If I thought she was just trying extra hard in her new position I would probably not be so frustrated but this is her personality and how she's known to be in any position she's had. Believe me, it's well discussed among team members because there's such dislike for her. It creates a very negative atmosphere. I will work hard and do my job no matter what but on the days she's there I will be less enthusiastic and leave with a headache.

No 19 year old should have a credit card? Really? It's a great way to build credit and set yourself up for post college.

If you knew this 19 year old and how immature she is you'd know that she should not have a credit card. And in my opinion, getting a credit card at that young of an age, unless the person is extremely disciplined with money and financially smart, is not wise. I'm the mother of 3 adult children in their early 20s. I've lived this one

They're amazing!

K, better now?

I am sorry, I was in the Freezer and couldn't hear, could you repeat that please?

So tempting, everyday.
My ctl loves to call me out personally even if I have temperature sensitive push on the floor...."you've got 30 min" The one day I told him I was already 20 into that and I could push it out back first or he could do without me for another ten minutes while I finished....

If you knew this 19 year old and how immature she is you'd know that she should not have a credit card. And in my opinion, getting a credit card at that young of an age, unless the person is extremely disciplined with money and financially smart, is not wise. I'm the mother of 3 adult children in their early 20s. I've lived this one
You don't learn if you don't make mistakes, and most Credit Cards that a 19yo can qualify for are going to have $250/500 spending limits. I don't think anyone is going to wreck their life at that age over $500 of debt.

Do you think someone is going to magically learn how to be good with money just because of their age, or from experience? Plus a credit score doesn't grow itself.

I think you're overreacting to the situations you describe, nothing really sounds that bad.

You don't learn if you don't make mistakes, and most Credit Cards that a 19yo can qualify for are going to have $250/500 spending limits. I don't think anyone is going to wreck their life at that age over $500 of debt.

Do you think someone is going to magically learn how to be good with money just because of their age, or from experience? Plus a credit score doesn't grow itself.

I think you're overreacting to the situations you describe, nothing really sounds that bad.
Then I guess everyone at my store is overreacting regarding the new srtl. No it's not life changing or earth shattering, just frustrating. Sometimes ya gotta vent! Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back