MEGATHREAD New POS (post-cutover)

If I had one SCO wish it would be to make the lights mean slightly different thibgs
  • Green means anyone can use it
  • Red means a TM is needed with a Zebra or will need to sign into the SCO
  • Blue means keys are needed to deal with the SCO like more money or receipt paper

at
If I had one SCO wish it would be to make the lights mean slightly different thibgs
  • Green means anyone can use it
  • Red means a TM is needed with a Zebra or will need to sign into the SCO
  • Blue means keys are needed to deal with the SCO like more money or receipt paper
idk about the NCR SCOs but with the NEXT GEN SCOs first two are true but blue means that someone is signed in and is in store mode.

The NCR SCOs use a 3-color beacon; it shows a yellow/amber aspect for this.
If the NEXT GEN SCO has the colors Red, Green and Blue can’t it technically make any color like RGB lights? If so can they add a color for alcohol/any age restricted item that have a minimum age to scan? It would make SCO go a lot faster when someone who can’t scan alcohol is running SCO for whatever reason

alcohol/any age restricted item that have a minimum age to scan?
Wait, y'all have laws against this?

In Texas, 16+ can sell alcohol for "off-site consumption" (aka bottled/canned) but 18+ for "on-site consumption" (like at a bar or restaurant) so we can have any cashier run SCO.
Funny enough, though, 16-20s can't audit a Shipt shopper order if it has alcohol lol - it forces you to be 21+ which believe it or not, it can be difficult to find a 21+ in the store on a lot of nights :D

(Off topic, but things change at Guest Service - 21+s are supposed to return alcohol since it has to be opened and poured – but POS won't stop them :confused: )

Funny enough, though, 16-20s can't audit a Shipt shopper order if it has alcohol lol - it forces you to be 21+ which believe it or not, it can be difficult to find a 21+ in the store on a lot of nights :D
My guess is because then the order is paid for and technically you’re not stealing from Target at that point. Only the person who ordered it.
It also might be because Shipt is newer and they haven’t had the time to code the same rules for alcohol purchases to it

Mine is Next Generation and at least one of them doesn’t want to deal with cash at any given time
Yeah we have a neighboring store that just got 12 of these and they hate them. The bill recycler jams like crazy. (the idea of recycling bills is great, don't get me wrong) Coin levels are always wrong so the SCOs send myDay alerts all the time saying "Register 164 needs pennies (2 rolls)" and they go to put coins in but the hopper is full.

Idk if NCR still makes the internals but they are only aesthetically pleasing - internally they're pieces of crap.

Coin levels are always wrong so the SCOs send myDay alerts all the time saying "Register 164 needs pennies (2 rolls)" and they go to put coins in but the hopper is full.
Please let us have regular check lane alerts and SCO alerts. I don’t look at most of them because it’s too annoying
Idk if NCR still makes the internals but they are only aesthetically pleasing - internally they're pieces of crap.
At least make it where we can change the screen to say it doesn’t accept cash. Also require the guest to scan their wallet barcode with RedCard or use the card reader to make sure they understand it’s card only

Yeah we have a neighboring store that just got 12 of these and they hate them.
12. 12 My store only has 6

Also, restricting overrides to just TLs was a great thing for target and TMs. Prevents the new people from getting scammed honestly.
This is strictly a downgrade. The problem for a short while was that anyone with supervisor #'s could give anyone else supervisor #'s, so too many people wound up having supervisor #'s. The optimal solution is two tiers of supervisor access, where both can do overrides, but the only the top tier can give others the lower tier.

ie. Let my ETL decide if I deserve supervisor access. If they give it to me, I should be able to have it. I shouldn't be able to give it to anyone else though. This way only people who are trusted to make decisions of this nature have it.

Right now my store does stupid workarounds, like TL's leaving me a zebra they're logged into so I can login as them to do overrides, or I text them a picture of my monitor and ask them to scan it with their zebra so they don't have to walk up to the service desk. This wouldn't be a thing if they could just give me my supervisor #'s back that I had for years as a GSA.

Last edited:
What exactly are overrides?
I'm going to give you a very long history - don't mean to lecture - just want to give background.
TL;DR: override returns to cash, GiftCard, even crediting a credit card instead of just Merchandise Return card - only TLs and above have it.

------------------long-----------------

In the context of Classic POS, there was a key called "K4" for GSTL ("Supervisor"). Having that role allowed you a lot (and I mean A LOT) of power on the registers. You had no limit as to what you could do as far as the amount to requisition on gift cards, put a return with an ID back however you wanted (even cash), and the dangerous part was that you could give it to anyone else (and despite that being the HQ instruction when GSA went away... I'll get to that in a moment), most stores were like "lmao heeeeeeccckkkk no" and gave it to only former GSAs or downright nobody but Leaders. But to begin the process of closing the checklanes you had to have K4 GSTL so a lot of stores gave it to night cashiers.
(GSA was a "head cashier" essentially - they got paid a few pennies more an hour to do everything the GSTLs did, short of issuing performance conversations - so running the lanes, sending people on break, Karen Wants a Manager de-escalations, etc. With 2019 Modernization, the role was eliminated, but since Target knows that 3/4 of the time there's no SETL [new GSTL title], and it was all about "empowered to make it right," they told stores to make everyone a K4 GSTL in the POS. Well, you can imagine how that went at some stores... all kinds of tomfoolery and giveaways. At stores that decided not to do this, only some trusted cashiers got it, but some betrayed that trust and gave it to all their buddies - causing friction among TMs because they're not "the chosen wielders of the holy K4 key.")

In New (Current) POS, they needed some way to continue Target's trademark "make it right for the Guest" method of dealing with Karens, scammers, and scamming Karens. They smartly (no Owned Brands pun intended) decided this time, they'd give it to only Leaders. See, Classic POS wasn't synchronized very well with Active Directory or Workday or whatever I.T. software we use to issue you a job code and role, so that's why non-TLs could be keyed as Supervisors despite not being one (also, it was called Supervisor because Classic POS was old as dirt - it was from the days before we called them Team Leaders and still said customer!).
New POS is synced. That's why you login with basically the same interface as the myDevice or Workday. So it knows what job code you have. And gives you only the powers HQ decides you should have in your role.
The override resides in the Guest Service app under "Make it right return" and that's the only "override" New POS has. It lets you bypass anything with respect to return limits or even letting you put money back on a credit card or even cash or GiftCard for ID returns.
Otherwise, even as a Leader, all other aspects of Classic POS limit you in the same way as a basic Guest Advocate.
They started by only making this available to ETLs and above. That was very stupid - sometimes there are no ETLs in the building. A few weeks later, they gave it to TLs also.

There are no current plans to create any other roles to emulate the previous chaos that was having quasi-TL-wannabe Guest Advocates. Everyone should be the same across the board. Overrides for returns should be handled by real Team Leaders and consequently only they have the override returns option - the only override in existence on New POS at this time.

I think there was a limit actually, We had to load a gift card multiple times back in the day because one of Target Mobiles promotions didn't seem to prompt a gift card.
I think if you requisitioned the "right" way yeah. But you had no coupon limit so you could ring up a GiftCard for $200 and then coupon it out (K5) for $200 - I guess it was the coupon that had no limit if you were GSTL.

I think if you requisitioned the "right" way yeah. But you had no coupon limit so you could ring up a GiftCard for $200 and then coupon it out (K5) for $200 - I guess it was the coupon that had no limit if you were GSTL.
You did have a $20 coupon limit but you could do unlimited $20 coupons.

Removing the ability to coupon out was annoying but ultimately better for SD because it requires cashiers to adjust the price down which means guests get back what they paid when they return.

Removing the ability to coupon out was annoying but ultimately better for SD because it requires cashiers to adjust the price down which means guests get back what they paid when they return
true but i wish TLs could coupon. there have been times with nintendo gift cards where i needed to redo the transaction because the code didn’t print.

You did have a $20 coupon limit but you could do unlimited $20 coupons.

Removing the ability to coupon out was annoying but ultimately better for SD because it requires cashiers to adjust the price down which means guests get back what they paid when they return.
🤷‍♂️ idk I just remember needing to do some huge "make it right" thing and I entered a large discount or something and Classic POS was like "okay cool" and it was several hundred dollars and didn't stop me. But anyway I guess we shouldn't reminisce on good things 🥺

Get rid of gift cards that don’t have access code barcodes. Also for digital gift cards add a barcode to the access code.

Last edited:
Back