MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i think reverting a register back to an operating system that crashes when you hit the quantity button is a bad idea but what do i know, i just have the highest nps in my district šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
say what you want about old pos (and I will absolutely agree) but it is lightning fast and predictable. I know the quantity button will crash it. new pos is getting better and it's *almost* there. but not quite

say what you want about old pos (and I will absolutely agree) but it is lightning fast and predictable. I know the quantity button will crash it. new pos is getting better and it's *almost* there. but not quite
i find classic to be extremely fast, extremely unreliable, and extremely unpredictable. i am glad that your mileage is different, but there is a reason why target is running away from it right before q4
What is this I hear about the quantity button? K2? How does that crash the system?
if you change quantity of an item during a return it will hard crash classic registers, full stop. so if someone is returning 50 cans of cat food you have to scan all 50 cans instead of scanning one and changing the quantity
Yeah guests keep coming back to Target for that quantity button.
no but they certainly don't like it when a register crashes right in the middle of you trying to do a return. great service!!!

They also don't like it when you can't do a direct exchange but again, that's not a big deal and perfectly okay from a guest service standpoint according to you. My store also has the highest NPS in the district with IGS and no SCO so what do I know? :)

They also don't like it when you can't do a direct exchange but again, that's not a big deal and perfectly okay from a guest service standpoint according to you. My store also has the highest NPS in the district with IGS and no SCO so what do I know? :)
no, it's really not a big deal

average speed of transaction is faster across the chain on new point of sale compared to classic. just putting that out there.
i wonder what would happen to those metrics if they included first transaction setup time. (Logging into pos, etc). Linux versions Iā€™ve heard are better but as it stands the time it takes me from walking up to a lane to being able to scan an item is embarrassing, literally. Itā€™s an awful guest experience to be staring at the cashier for 30 seconds before they can do anything.

Reactions: DBZ
Yeah for some reason the electronics registers are mad fast. I was closing the lanes and logging into them was like almost instant. If all the registers were like that then no one would have a problem logging in or switching apps. Weird only electronics has it hmm

i wonder what would happen to those metrics if they included first transaction setup time. (Logging into pos, etc). Linux versions Iā€™ve heard are better but as it stands the time it takes me from walking up to a lane to being able to scan an item is embarrassing, literally. Itā€™s an awful guest experience to be staring at the cashier for 30 seconds before they can do anything.

sounds like you've got the first half down (service), now it's time to master the second half (engagement)

Yeah for some reason the electronics registers are mad fast. I was closing the lanes and logging into them was like almost instant. If all the registers were like that then no one would have a problem logging in or switching apps. Weird only electronics has it hmm
When they do test builds of registers they usually give it to the places outside of the lanes (in my experience) like SB and Electronics. Back then when they were first configuring linux to run on the registers it was SUPER buggy. It got so bad that they couldn't fix it they bricked the registers. Now though, it is soooo nice. Since this is a web based POS system they can run it on practically anything.

EDIT: Since it's web-based if they improve the memory management (which linux takes up a lot less ram than windows) it can cut down login times.

Just talked with my etl last night and they said that they couldnā€™t do itā€¦idk if theyā€™re just lazy or donā€™t know how or what but that was the end of that conversationā€¦and btw the classic register was crashed againā€¦
Our second classic got re-reverted and we're back to one. This is sadistic.

personally i think reverting a register back to an operating system that crashes when you hit the quantity button is a bad idea but what do i know, i just have the highest nps in my district šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I hope your NPS doesn't suffer from people not being able to pay bills or the other missing functions.

I did a qty of 128 on classic the other day. It worked, but what an adrenaline rush. Better than skydiving. (ed: forgot it was a purchase not a return, which would explain why it worked. Still scared me though)

Last edited:
I hope your NPS doesn't suffer from people not being able to pay bills or the other missing functions.

well there are no other missing functions i canā€™t do workarounds for other than payment on account and you know, i have a classic register just for that like everyone else and thatā€™s all we use it for. so, no problems

if you only use the classic register for things that the new point of sale cannot do, it will not crash for when you actually need it

but the fact that youā€™re all seeing so many crashes speaks volumes about why switching off of classic was necessary

I get that JJ, but when you're a store like mine that is a High Volume Super with 1/3 Service Desk registers on New POS, Classic POS tends to be used a lot more than it has to with the length the lines can get sometimes.

I voided a return on the guest selects reason on pin pad screen. In the background while it was voiding it showed the reasons on the screen. Hopefully that means weā€™ll be able to select it and not have the guest do it each time.

Apparently we canā€™t do Consumer Cellular phone returns on the New POS. When I scanned the receipt and item barcode at GS, it popped up with ā€œitem must be returned at Techā€. Went down to tech, scanned the barcode and IMEI, and it said ā€œitem not eligibleā€. Had to do it on the old POS.

I voided a return on the guest selects reason on pin pad screen. In the background while it was voiding it showed the reasons on the screen. Hopefully that means weā€™ll be able to select it and not have the guest do it each time.

Apparently we canā€™t do Consumer Cellular phone returns on the New POS. When I scanned the receipt and item barcode at GS, it popped up with ā€œitem must be returned at Techā€. Went down to tech, scanned the barcode and IMEI, and it said ā€œitem not eligibleā€. Had to do it on the old POS.
This. It was SUPER weird. I tried it the other day because it was the wrong phone for the guest and when I scanned it it said activation didnā€™t match which was weird because I didnā€™t scan the activation in the return. Not very many things with activations are returned so i see this being a minor problem for now.

This. It was SUPER weird. I tried it the other day because it was the wrong phone for the guest and when I scanned it it said activation didnā€™t match which was weird because I didnā€™t scan the activation in the return. Not very many things with activations are returned so i see this being a minor problem for now.
phone returns have always been weird, tbh
Speaking of phone returnsā€¦.this happened today. Can anyone please explain this cause no one even hardline 4 etl had no idea whatā€™s happening. I tried to cut out all the information about the store as much as possible and Rec num.
4D94978B-5288-4749-BE0A-8396B02C4974.jpeg
I did return on classic POS. Scanned receipt from guests phone, scanned the iPhone, POS asked $35 waive would be charged. Said ā€˜continueā€™. Asked ā€˜Is there anything wrong with these items?ā€™ Said no (to defect later since this was the second time doing this return). Afterward the POS does some weird screen glitch and basically does the $35 restock fee automatically. I hit total it show the recommended refund back to ā€˜creditā€™. Ask guest to insert a credit card (only once!) and then POS shows recommended refund screen again with $16 and some change. Recommended refund doesnā€™t work so I go back to the scan items/receipts screen and the press total again. Pretty sure I didnā€™t hit nothing but it randomly says ā€˜This cannot be zeroā€™ then I hit clear and it pops the drawer open by itself saying change due that $181 amount at the bottom. Does anyone have any idea cause none of the totals make sense and the card was only put it once so ideky there 2 credits back.

Last edited:
That has happened to me once or twice on classic POS but usually when doing a same day return and then applying $$ toward new purchase. It is super confusing and usually results in the guest getting more $$ back than they should but restarting the return doesnā€™t fix the issue.

That has happened to me once or twice on classic POS but usually when doing a same day return and then applying $$ toward new purchase. It is super confusing and usually results in the guest getting more $$ back than they should but restarting the return doesnā€™t fix the issue.
It was a pickup from the day before and I remember because I did that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back