Service & Engagement New SCO Pilot

In a related matter I was at a Meijer (sort of a Walmart for those not in the Midwest) that had a five items or less set of SCOs.

The thing is you had to weight something to had to got to a separate scale first then print a tag to scan your weighed item.

There was only one scale for these three SCOs.

I also thought it was odd that the grapes we had to wear wear already prepackaged so I am not sure why we had to weigh them.
I always do shop and scan at Meijer. Use my phone and bag as I go.

I used to quickly scan items at sco not anymore. Why should customers help business get other customers quickly thur checkouts when businesses don't won't to hire cashiers who can get paid to do it.
Being quick saves YOU time too, not just the people behind you. I'd never waste my own time to spite someone else.

Update on this from me as a guest: this past Sunday with my cart full of groceries I spent almost 20 minutes in line and getting thru checkout with the cashier. In that time, I watched the SCOs nearby: only 2 guests went thru. 2!! They had 9 SCOs open. The guests behind me in line also had large carts and were stuck using the cashier.

If Spot is truly testing this as a way to shorten lines, they've failed spectacularly. All it has done is shift the line from SCO to the cashiers. (Oh wait, that's what they do best: rob Peter to pay Paul.....how could I forget 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️) I could have been in and out of SCO in 5 minutes. Way to disregard the value of my time Spot. Rude.

Update on this from me as a guest: this past Sunday with my cart full of groceries I spent almost 20 minutes in line and getting thru checkout with the cashier. In that time, I watched the SCOs nearby: only 2 guests went thru. 2!! They had 9 SCOs open. The guests behind me in line also had large carts and were stuck using the cashier.

If Spot is truly testing this as a way to shorten lines, they've failed spectacularly. All it has done is shift the line from SCO to the cashiers. (Oh wait, that's what they do best: rob Peter to pay Paul.....how could I forget 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️) I could have been in and out of SCO in 5 minutes. Way to disregard the value of my time Spot. Rude.
It is also a lot easier for 1 person to make sure 9 people aren't stealing when they have 10 items or less vs people with cartful of items and scan them in the cart and/or throw bags over items in the cart that never get lifted out and scanned.

I laugh heartily when I read threads like these after people have tried to tell me over the years that Target isn't in the process of going out of business over a decade or two timeline.

Yeah, Target's checkout process is worse than Wal-Mart's now. Target's stores are also dirtier. It's almost like your plano team or lack of plano team never replacing the shelves ever or cleaning them on resets is not a good idea. They're either in the slow slow slow process of going out of business altogether or they're phasing out B&M. Maybe both.

I laugh heartily when I read threads like these after people have tried to tell me over the years that Target isn't in the process of going out of business over a decade or two timeline.

Yeah, Target's checkout process is worse than Wal-Mart's now. Target's stores are also dirtier. It's almost like your plano team or lack of plano team never replacing the shelves ever or cleaning them on resets is not a good idea. They're either in the slow slow slow process of going out of business altogether or they're phasing out B&M. Maybe both.
Hopefully they phase you out first

Target's stores are also dirtier. It's almost like your plano team or lack of plano team never replacing the shelves ever or cleaning them on resets is not a good idea.
THIS. I say that as a relic of yesterdecade's plano team. Leadership all but discourages people to do any actual work on a POG except pull the priority and "just make it look full." And most of the numbnuts at my store are perfectly happy leaving disgusting shelves and broken fixtures, skipping any part of the process that requires them to think and make decisions, and accepting praise for how "fast" they are at "setting." It makes me not want to buy anything from my own store because products get dirty and damaged from sitting among the filth.

Last edited:
MCO is no longer best practice, and my guess is that once we're able to get online ordering thru the POS, then they're going to either totally phase them out, or lock em down to the point where they can only linebust and nothing else.
Never understood them.. if you can stand at the front with one you can just open a register. They only prove useful at fitting room or ulta something like that to save the sale but honestly it’s better to just order through the Target app.

Never understood them.. if you can stand at the front with one you can just open a register. They only prove useful at fitting room or ulta something like that to save the sale but honestly it’s better to just order through the Target app.
I think they're honestly really neat. I really do enjoy LineBusting. Guests are happy because they don't have to wait in line for when they get like 3 items, and lines get wayyy shorter. Honestly, The thing I hated about line busting was how thick the device was and how long card processing times took. Otherwise, I actually really enjoyed the MCO's

I think they're honestly really neat. I really do enjoy LineBusting. Guests are happy because they don't have to wait in line for when they get like 3 items, and lines get wayyy shorter. Honestly, The thing I hated about line busting was how thick the device was and how long card processing times took. Otherwise, I actually really enjoyed the MCO's
They are one of the technologies that I am just amazed by how it just works. Only thing that would make it more magical is if we could do cash, but I suppose that will be solved once it comes to the register.

Another one of those is when you did applecare monthly via the marketsource terminal and the app on the mydevice. It just worked flawlessly every time and I was amazed.

Just an FYI the test runs through January just so you have a time frame. Also sounds like your shopping store isn’t following the full pilot as each store was give 100-200 extra hours a week to staff for checklanes. The couple stores in my district with it couldn’t staff the hours the first week but now that they’re using all the hours it seems to be working well in terms of wait time.

There will also be the people who really want to use SCO like yourself and myself personally.

There are 50 stores per region and most are high shortage so I kinda get it but I agree is a little annoying.

Just an FYI the test runs through January just so you have a time frame. Also sounds like your shopping store isn’t following the full pilot as each store was give 100-200 extra hours a week to staff for checklanes. The couple stores in my district with it couldn’t staff the hours the first week but now that they’re using all the hours it seems to be working well in terms of wait time.

There will also be the people who really want to use SCO like yourself and myself personally.

There are 50 stores per region and most are high shortage so I kinda get it but I agree is a little annoying.
Will those 1-200 extra hours be permanent? Or is this just during the figure it out phase? Because the more we're backing up the front and fulfillment, the worse the floor is gonna look.

Will those 1-200 extra hours be permanent? Or is this just during the figure it out phase? Because the more we're backing up the front and fulfillment, the worse the floor is gonna look.
They’re permanent as long as the pilot is active and will be permanent if they choose to roll it out to more stores.

Back