Archived New to Target, Visual Merchandising Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, so I've just been offered the new Visual Merchandising Leader position at Target. I'm currently a salaried Executive Manager at Macy's and am unfamiliar with the hierarchy and pay grades of Target. I understand that this is a completely new position to Target but wanted to know where exactly this position ranks? I guess what I'm wondering is, would I be a direct report of the ETL? Is this a Senior Team Lead position? I've had 3 interviews, first with a Exec Team Lead, then Store Team Lead, then the District level lead, and each gave me a different/ vague answer to this question.
Obviously, my biggest concern is taking a step down, as I currently report to my Store Manager at Macy's.

It's Sr. TL pay (PG 17) without LOD responsibilities. It's hourly so you'll have to punch in and out.

The ETLs will be directly above you and you will have to report to them. You will be in charge of all the brand team members and they will report to you. You will be on the same "level" meaning position of authority as the other TLs but you will get paid higher than them. So you're 3rd on the food chain store level.

Thanks guys! I realize that I will have to learn the stucture of a Target Store and so far, it's very different from what I know in a Macy's store... terminology is also very different. Thanks again.

The ETLs will be directly above you and you will have to report to them. You will be in charge of all the brand team members and they will report to you. You will be on the same "level" meaning position of authority as the other TLs but you will get paid higher than them. So you're 3rd on the food chain store level.
Do you mean the VMTMs working under the VMTL will all be Brand? Or do you mean the brand TMs we already have will work for the VMTL? I'm a jewelry brand TM. Do you know how this will change my role?

Do you mean the VMTMs working under the VMTL will all be Brand? Or do you mean the brand TMs we already have will work for the VMTL? I'm a jewelry brand TM. Do you know how this will change my role?
Most stores are hiring vm brand tms. So unless your store moved you to one of those positions it might not effect you. Not sure as my store is dragging their feet and not gossiping in my ear range-the better to ignore my application.

Hi guys, so I've just been offered the new Visual Merchandising Leader position at Target. I'm currently a salaried Executive Manager at Macy's and am unfamiliar with the hierarchy and pay grades of Target. I understand that this is a completely new position to Target but wanted to know where exactly this position ranks? I guess what I'm wondering is, would I be a direct report of the ETL? Is this a Senior Team Lead position? I've had 3 interviews, first with a Exec Team Lead, then Store Team Lead, then the District level lead, and each gave me a different/ vague answer to this question.
Obviously, my biggest concern is taking a step down, as I currently report to my Store Manager at Macy's.

It is a step down as you'll be reporting to the etl Salesfloor or ETL softlines depending on the size of the store. So its a higher paid department manager compared to the assistant manager position you have at Macy's. Not a senior TL. I think its a big step down from what you had there but if you happy with the money and it'll be nice to only have to be there 40 hours compared to salaried.

It is a step down as you'll be reporting to the etl Salesfloor or ETL softlines depending on the size of the store. So its a higher paid department manager compared to the assistant manager position you have at Macy's. Not a senior TL. I think its a big step down from what you had there but if you happy with the money and it'll be nice to only have to be there 40 hours compared to salaried.

At least it's the same paygrade as a SrTL without the responsibility.

My VML is just moving our brand tms to be vm tms. They basically want all of our brand tms to be interchangeable and be able to do everything hardlines/softlines brand. But ASANTS and I have heard of others just hiring VMTMs in addition to their brand members. We only have one softlines brand and one cosmetics brand as it is.. VMTMS are the same pay grade as brand tms.

Last edited:
This may answer some questions. From another thread:
This guide is an work in progress since this team/position is brand new and will adapt and modify in the upcoming months/year.

What areas is this team responsible for?
- Softlines Visual Impact Areas (All the visual parts of Softlines. So everything in Softlines except tables and endcaps)
- Hardlines Home Goods Renovation (or current home goods in non renovated stores)
- Other store decided Hardlines Areas (Varies by store)

What are the key focuses of this team?
-Visual Impact Areas are full and appealing
-Mannequins are kept to the color scheme that corporate is going for and replacement outfits match said theme
(example: 70's outfits in black/tan)
-Home Goods Area is maintained to the impact area guide for Home Goods and matches the color scheme as defined by Corporate
-Additional areas are kept to Brand as defined by the store

I believe this would be defined as a Planogram like team that is focused on all visual areas in the store.
Most teams would have a Visual Merch Lead/TL and one or two MBTMs (Merch Brand Team Members)
Note: *ASANTS*

This is a team that will help set expectations and drive sales in this exciting opportunity to increase sales through impulse buying and building outfits that help guests pick out combinations and continue on with their shopping.

I will update this guide as new information come up. Any current VMLs/VMTLs that can comment on daily workload/expectations please chime in.

I'll let those degree wielding folk chime in with what Target is looking for since clearly us folks who been here awhile don't know what they want.

Thanks @Captainzim.

I have taken the vmtl at target- i was with macys- my fear was that macys is starting to go more operational and downgrading- while target is going more aspirational and upping the visual scene for customers

I have taken the vmtl at target- i was with macys- my fear was that macys is starting to go more operational and downgrading- while target is going more aspirational and upping the visual scene for customers

@tanner6116 I'm currently a Sales Manager @ Macy's. I was a Visual Merchandiser and a Merchandising Team Lead, previously. I have to agree that when I was a VM back in 2008 to 2010, it was way different than it is now. And I was drawn to Targets VMTL position because I love that they're going in the opposite direction, like you said.

@tanner6116 I'm currently a Sales Manager @ Macy's. I was a Visual Merchandiser and a Merchandising Team Lead, previously. I have to agree that when I was a VM back in 2008 to 2010, it was way different than it is now. And I was drawn to Targets VMTL position because I love that they're going in the opposite direction, like you said.

The (basic) levels of Target are as follows:

Team Member (TM): Lowest level.
Team Lead (TL): In charge of their own department
Senior Team Lead (SrTL): A team lead who can act as the LOD.
Executive Team Lead (ETL): Manager of chunks of the store: Sales floor, pharmacy, front end, backroom, etc.
Leader on Duty (LOD): A temporary position that changes throughout the day. This person is the manager in charge of the store during their shift. Most issues will be resolved by "calling for the LOD". All ETLs, the STL, and the SrTLs will have varying LOD shifts.
Store Team Lead (STL): Manager of the store
District Team Lead (DTL): Runs a district, a small group of stores. Roughly 7-10.

The VMTL, from what I gather will work in the new Home Innovation, which as an IKEA-like set-up in home decor. They also work on mannequins and focals, which are basically large endcaps. They look like this:
null_zps0ca8aae2_1378525437.jpg

The (basic) levels of Target are as follows:

Team Member (TM): Lowest level.
Team Lead (TL): In charge of their own department
Senior Team Lead (SrTL): A team lead who can act as the LOD.
Executive Team Lead (ETL): Manager of chunks of the store: Sales floor, pharmacy, front end, backroom, etc.
Leader on Duty (LOD): A temporary position that changes throughout the day. This person is the manager in charge of the store during their shift. Most issues will be resolved by "calling for the LOD". All ETLs, the STL, and the SrTLs will have varying LOD shifts.
Store Team Lead (STL): Manager of the store
District Team Lead (DTL): Runs a district, a small group of stores. Roughly 7-10.

The VMTL, from what I gather will work in the new Home Innovation, which as an IKEA-like set-up in home decor. They also work on mannequins and focals, which are basically large endcaps. They look like this:
null_zps0ca8aae2_1378525437.jpg

Somebody screwed up and didn't put the backer paper under the big sign on the back wall.
I remember what a pain in the ass it was to change it too.

Somebody screwed up and didn't put the backer paper under the big sign on the back wall.
I remember what a pain in the ass it was to change it too.

Lol I noticed that first thing too.

I'd definitely recommend reading the big thread under General Target Chat.
I feel like a lot of info about the VML role is still being developed and there aren't a lot of answers out there (as it sounds like many posters here have seen varying responsibilities given for the role).
My store isn't getting the VML position for the foreseeable future, so it'll be interesting to read on here!

@raggamuffin You will report directly to the District Team Lead. You will have weekly conference calls with the DTL. VML is unlike any other TL position within Target.

Extra thought: You will be doing a lot of partnering with the sales floor ETL. But you won't exactly report to them.

@raggamuffin You will report directly to the District Team Lead. You will have weekly conference calls with the DTL. VML is unlike any other TL position within Target.

Extra thought: You will be doing a lot of partnering with the sales floor ETL. But you won't exactly report to them.
I was just informed that this info was from a printout last updated in March and that the details of the position have changed. Oops.

I was just informed that this info was from a printout last updated in March and that the details of the position have changed. Oops.

During my last conversation with the ETL, her description of the VMTL job matches what you originally stated. From what I gather from the STL and DTL, it's very new and therefore, likely to evolve drastically. I'm up for the challenge. My position prior to Sales Manager was very much a fluid concept. Very little direction with one goal: drive sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back