Archived No Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a store with a heavy seasonal business period we have had hours cut dramatically. Our deli lost its hours for inventory, which then ended up taking from the team. We are consistently busy day after day. Running with 3 people a day. Seeing our production case getting decimated and struggling to keep it fresh and full. So when we were getting hours we were able to keep it up and keep it full. Now we are getting no hours and the etl can't fathom why we aren't keeping it full. Makes me so pissed I have wanted to tell the etl off. This company is falling apart and I am about ready to jump ship.
We're running into similar issues at my store, although it sounds like it isn't quite as bad here. We're constantly hearing "Fill the case!" and "Why isn't production done?!" It's NOT reasonable to think sandwiches and salads will be done by 9am when only one TM is scheduled to do them before the store opens and the snackers are driving me insane. With sudden leadership changes, too, I'm afraid of what "new" things we're going to be told to try.
I've just stopped caring for the most part and am teetering on the verge of looking for a new job. I hear a call center is hiring in the area (incoming, not outgoing, thankfully) so I might put in an application there if my yearly review is unacceptable, as well as looking into other retail opportunities.

I am afraid this is not longer a trend but the new normal. I know that at my store we had a Tl quit and two tms in the last three weeks...the tm quit becaus eSpot just wasn't giving enough hours and the way they were treated....the Team lead left because him and the stl couldn't get along ( at least that's the rumor)

Last edited:
We're running into similar issues at my store, although it sounds like it isn't quite as bad here. We're constantly hearing "Fill the case!" and "Why isn't production done?!" It's NOT reasonable to think sandwiches and salads will be done by 9am when only one TM is scheduled to do them before the store opens and the snackers are driving me insane. With sudden leadership changes, too, I'm afraid of what "new" things we're going to be told to try.
I've just stopped caring for the most part and am teetering on the verge of looking for a new job. I hear a call center is hiring in the area (incoming, not outgoing, thankfully) so I might put in an application there if my yearly review is unacceptable, as well as looking into other retail opportunities.
Yea they used to have morning production at 5 now it's 6, we have finally gone down to 1 team lead between bakery/deli. The TL has 0 deli training and has been hurting us even more. There is way to many items even as a smaller deli we have 30+ items. The new items are garbage, people want simple tuna, pb&j, ham &cheese. Not some flatbread with grilled chicken rice noodles poppy dead dressing &spring mix. It's just nonsense. Yay maybe I need to make a true deli vent thread when I get home

Still not really guaranteed though. Not to say they won't give you 30+, but I bet that was a verbal promise, not a written one.

its interesting how many stores i've found keep their GSA team at 30+ hours. I dont think as many could properly staff the position without offering hours as the perk of the job.

Eh...just because of how myTime works and the way payroll allocation works...I don't think it's possible for Spot to fine tune company wide payroll allocation to take this into account.

I mean, how do you consider balancing a team member who works both signing and price change and ensuring that they drop from 32 hours to 28 hours on a global scale? What if that team member in another store is actually 2 team members working 16 hours? How would the company know the difference?

What about a team member who is on the team lead bench and gets In-Stocks + Electronics + Hardlines hours? How do you reduce their hours below 29?

The team members that routinely get 30+ hours are STILL getting 30+ hours...basically because they were getting 30+ hours for a reason. That hasn't changed.

I honestly don't think Spot has the bureaucratic capability to be able to make any kind of impact in healthcare finance reductions.

I think that's pretty naive. mytime is irrelevant. They went back to making edits to the schedule a few months after it rolled out. You think it's just coincidence that so many TMs have weekly average hours just under the 30 hour per week threshold? It's like golden time. If mytime was so perfect wouldn't that ensure that no one made golden time?

This is my first retail job. I'm baffled by the imbalance of hours across my store. Our deli team usually has 3-4 people per day, but some have half shifts, though. Produce is where I usually reside, and it within a week, we're lucky to have 80 hours in the produce department. I get 38-40 every week, and the closer is often cut. We randomly have a swing shift team member come in to cut fruit twice a week. Hard to run such a demanding department in 10 hours a day. Not sure how other stores are, but I think this is the norm, with the exception of high volume stores.

I look at hard lines and soft lines, and they're packed. Having 4-6 team members every day must be nice.

Dairy is getting killed by a lack of hours. Market team is usually pretty full because various team leaders regularly work the area. Our team member in dairy gets 16 hours one week, and 40 the next. Makes no sense.

Poor cart attendants. I don't know how they put up with one half of their shifts cut the day before.

Back when I was part of the morning Pfresh push team in 2011-12, I pretty much got a consistent schedule of 40 hours a week. When they started cutting hours, I still got that amount and naively thought to myself that "Oh, I will always get these hours" because the amount of food stays the same and they're focused on Pfresh.

Then I and others got a whole month of five hours a week. How jaded I became...

I didn't get many hours this week or next week but I am used to it..... After easter our hours drop and then pick up around June ( yep gotta wait that long) luckily I can pick up shifts whenever need be so it works out.

I usually get shifts offered to me by other TMS but since everyone is getting cut it ain't happening.
ugh

I didn't get many hours this week or next week but I am used to it..... After easter our hours drop and then pick up around June ( yep gotta wait that long) luckily I can pick up shifts whenever need be so it works out.
same thing has been going on with myself and a few other cashiers i've spoken with, like 10-20 hours since easter, there have been a few cashiers recently hired so that could be a factor too.

Huh. Not making sales must have been an excuse all the STLs and ETLs were given to pass on for cutting hours. For about two months it was really, really bad at my store. Hard lines would have one or two team members, INCLUDING the TL, at a time, soft lines would have the operator and one more TM, with the occasional TL, three cashiers, one GSTL (one told me he was down to 16 hrs/week), and minimal back room. I felt bad because my hours were cut from 40 to 35 while most people I knew in the store were down to 15 to 20.
It seems we're finally getting back to somewhat normal (other than cashiers, we still only have two or three at a time, but that's cause the rest all quit).

I have the opposite problem, I get more hours than I want. I have my availability at 20 hrs, but get scheduled for 20-25 each week. My store doesn't schedule us cashiers for more than 6 hrs. per shift or they will be "bothered" with having to schedule breaks. So for me this means working 5 days instead of 4. I have another job so I don't want the extra hours. Ive talked to HR, but am told that is just how the "system" makes the schedule. I am tired of putting the extra hours in the Swap Book and hoping they get taken.

i get half the hours i want now, so they get half the effort.

I do other stuff on the side and can make in a couple days what I get in a paycheck at target. It's barely worth it anymore. The worst this company has been in the nearly 5 years I've unfortunately worked here.

Last edited:
our store is in dire straights at this point. my hours have fallen to 14-15 for the last month and a half. usually im able to hawk the swap board and recoup but this time is different, no one is putting up shifts cause were all in the same boat. who can live on 14 hours a week, no one, but as long as the top dogs get to keep their Lamborghini then our suffering is not in vain. we should all give up our hours for the top management. its only logical. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have the opposite problem, I get more hours than I want. I have my availability at 20 hrs, but get scheduled for 20-25 each week. My store doesn't schedule us cashiers for more than 6 hrs. per shift or they will be "bothered" with having to schedule breaks. So for me this means working 5 days instead of 4. I have another job so I don't want the extra hours. Ive talked to HR, but am told that is just how the "system" makes the schedule. I am tired of putting the extra hours in the Swap Book and hoping they get taken.

Change it to 15. Then it will schedule you 15-20.. Take THAT MyTime!! ;)

We have 2 new FA/SB TMs & a cashier who's training for back-up so hrs have been gutted even more.
I've been getting 4 hr opening shifts, clocking out & waiting around to see how many cashiers call out; then they'll clock me back in. Makes for long days but I hustle enough to keep above 32.
It's been months since I've had a weekend off.

just had a mass hire event again, we need people to work all shifts all departments.

2 Hardlines TMs called off tonight, if anyone wants to stay and work OT its approved, so our store is thriving !!!!

please we need TMs desperately, please come work at our A++, 60+ million a year, pfresh store, connected to a mall !!!

Couple questions.
(1)If you are scheduled, can they send you home before the end of your shift, or is it only if you volunteer?
(2)Can they legally cut your hours after the weekly schedule has posted, or again is this voluntary?

They can ask you to VOLUNTARILY leave early but they can't force you.
If you refuse prepare for blowback, like hrs cut even further or sent to cashier for the rest of your shift.
They can cut hrs after the schedule has posted but they're 'supposed' to notify you.
But remember ASANTS (all stores are not the same).

Couple questions.
(1)If you are scheduled, can they send you home before the end of your shift, or is it only if you volunteer?
(2)Can they legally cut your hours after the weekly schedule has posted, or again is this voluntary?

They can ask if you want to go home, they really can't tell you to go home.
Of course if you refuse, they can be dicks and cut your hours back on the next schedule.

Cutting your shifts after the schedule has already been posted is something that they can do but they are supposed to warn you about ahead of time.
They can't just decide the day before to cut you shift.
Now, what they should do and what they actually do are often two different things.
I know there are states right now where they are trying to pass laws where you have to get written notice if they cut a shift.
Right now it's just company policy that they are supposed to tell you ahead.

This is my first retail job. I'm baffled by the imbalance of hours across my store. Our deli team usually has 3-4 people per day, but some have half shifts, though. Produce is where I usually reside, and it within a week, we're lucky to have 80 hours in the produce department. I get 38-40 every week, and the closer is often cut. We randomly have a swing shift team member come in to cut fruit twice a week. Hard to run such a demanding department in 10 hours a day. Not sure how other stores are, but I think this is the norm, with the exception of high volume stores.

Our store is A+ and our produce department stopped cutting fruit shortly after the credit card hack, when hours started drastically dropping. We used to be able to cut fruit 3x a week, cull/fill the entire floor and break down the load by 11am. Now we have truck loads that sit in the back for two days while our solo produce team members spend hours at the checklanes, doing gobacks in other departments; even doing carts or CAFs. Culling is a thing of the past; forget cleaning drains regularly. We're lucky enough to get all of the cardboard processed and QMOS marked out before the end of the night, let alone sweep/mop. It's a disaster and it's disgusting.

Our store is A+ and our produce department stopped cutting fruit shortly after the credit card hack, when hours started drastically dropping. We used to be able to cut fruit 3x a week, cull/fill the entire floor and break down the load by 11am. Now we have truck loads that sit in the back for two days while our solo produce team members spend hours at the checklanes, doing gobacks in other departments; even doing carts or CAFs. Culling is a thing of the past; forget cleaning drains regularly. We're lucky enough to get all of the cardboard processed and QMOS marked out before the end of the night, let alone sweep/mop. It's a disaster and it's disgusting.

Wow. That's horrible. How can this be justified?! No way other departments are covering the probable losses. You lose a lot of freshness and product in those two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back