Archived No more presentation and pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Target is trying to employ less TMs but give them longer shifts.

Your post spot on but that won't be the case until spot ditches mytime. Mytime is designed to give a lot of employees short shifts rather than long ones.
This is the antithesis of the corp playbook.
It's ideal to have a larger pool of TMs to pull from & to keep them below the benefits threshold.
Fewer TMs with longer shifts would allow more to become eligible for bennies & fewer to be able to call in when a warm sunny weekend means mountains of call-outs.

The more I read about these E2E stuff, the less I'm liking it. I'm Plano now, 3 years running. I have immense pride in my role and shoot to excell as a POG TM. I love the challenges Plano brings, but I also like the consistency and task-oriented scheduling. I know what I'm doing within 5 mins of clocking in and I'm usually allowed the freedom to set, unburdened by other tasks. Plano is not easy. Half my team struggles with it. It's not a task everyone can do. I can only imagine how our store will get on with the E2E in place, setting nearly anything. The workload can be very intense even for a seasoned setter like me. I don't look forward to the change and will be looking to leave Spot because of it.

Let's be real here. P&P is the last work center not affected by guest driven scheduling the mytime scheduling graphs, metrics, and crap.

Most POG and Pricing teams schedule 8 hour shifts vs a cashier or SF shift that may only get 5 hours or less. POG and pricing team members are typically maxed out to 40 in other work centers on low set weeks. Why? Most POG teams can do anything else in the store. SFS, BR, Front End. Anywhere really at least the team I've developed and we take care of the team members who do their best. You aren't suppose to schedule based on performance but it happens. I can promise you that no matter the changes they want to deliver at the store level... my hardest working team members will continue to get 35-40 hours every week. That I promise.

I feel strongly the reason behind the changes is to disband the team(s) that carry the weight in hours and workload to more team members on shorter shifts elsewhere to reduce average hours to reduce tms available for full time benefits.

I see it wrong on so many different levels from a team member perspective and from a HQ/store view. Remember, the more hands in the pot - the more room for error. We've already reduced most TL's to bare bones on most store charts. EX: 1 food TL is suppose to run food with the new food rollout, Starbucks, and Cafe!

I don't see anymore room for cuts at the store level. You can go into any random Target and see bad zones and barely a team member in sight. Can it get worse? Bankruptcy?
This is the antithesis of the corp playbook.
It's ideal to have a larger pool of TMs to pull from & to keep them below the benefits threshold.
Fewer TMs with longer shifts would allow more to become eligible for bennies & fewer to be able to call in when a warm sunny weekend means mountains of call-outs.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make the qualifications for benefits higher (which would still be bullshit).

We were just informed today the week of the 15 presentation and pricing will no longer be at my store. Instead there will be a designated team member for each area who will be in charge making sure every sales planner is done and clearance is marked.

Is any other store doing this?
At my store, it is just softlines, as part of apparel and accessories end to end rollout. Although they have to work, as a team to get the workload finished and we are not dividing the departments out.

I can see pricing being intertwined into other team members roles pretty easily. Presentation team on the other hand....it won't ever go away entirely or if it does they will quickly realize it won't work and go back to it. Spls are easy and someone could do a few a day and still maintain their department. But what about when an entire area resets? Or the aisles all flip? If you only have a few team members owning an area in end to end (7 days a week) then when their area resets they will need support help from other teams. It's just not possible to push truck, pull batches, backstock, keep your area zoned, assist guests, do pricing and then add on 100 hrs of work if your area resets. Maybe I'm wrong but it just doesn't seem possible.

Most other retailers have replen/presentation merged in one role and sales floor/pricing merged.

Great! We should run Target like Sears. Oh shit, oops. What about Kmart? Damn. HHGregg? Crap.

Target should be creating new ways of doing things instead of following other retailers.

There are a lot of successful retailers out there. Perhaps you should do some research before you make yourself sound uneducated?

Some examples of things successful retailers do;

-Queue line checkout instead of traditional
-Aligned work responsibilities(workload based on flow not teams)
-Logistics chain efficiency (truck to floor minimal warehousing)

I could go on. You don't create new things when you're losing money. You emulate success. That's how business works.

It's widely known that Target is in its current mess for a few reasons, one of which being it tried to compete with big grocery but failed to make changes logistically and as a result lost money. It's failure to upgrade it's supply chain also doomed Canada. So no, contrary to your trailblazing beliefs, Target should not be innovating. Innovation means spending money with no guaranteed reward. That's risk, and not a good decision when your company is struggling.

There are a lot of successful retailers out there. Perhaps you should do some research before you make yourself sound uneducated?

Some examples of things successful retailers do;

-Queue line checkout instead of traditional
-Aligned work responsibilities(workload based on flow not teams)
-Logistics chain efficiency (truck to floor minimal warehousing)

I could go on. You don't create new things when you're losing money. You emulate success. That's how business works.

It's widely known that Target is in its current mess for a few reasons, one of which being it tried to compete with big grocery but failed to make changes logistically and as a result lost money. It's failure to upgrade it's supply chain also doomed Canada. So no, contrary to your trailblazing beliefs, Target should not be innovating. Innovation means spending money with no guaranteed reward. That's risk, and not a good decision when your company is struggling.

Thanks for the personal attack, saying I sound uneducated. It doesn't prove your point.

If I may summarize your point ... You say, " ... no guaranteed reward." Do you GUARANTEE these changes will be successful? Doesn't that depend on your definition of successful.

My point is, if people want to go to these other successful places, why come to Target? If these retailers are already successful using these systems, why come to Target? Just go to those places.

I disagree about Target being in the grocery business. In my area, I don't know anyone who sees Target as a grocery destination. No one has ever said to me ... I'm going to the grocery .... And heads to Target. The stores here don't devote enough space to it. The prices and choice aren't competitive enough.

And lastly, all these changes are costing money. The u-boats for example. So your implication of it being cost free AND a guaranteed success aren't facts. They are opinions.

And lastly, all these changes are costing money. The u-boats for example. So your implication of it being cost free AND a guaranteed success aren't facts. They are opinions.
It's an educated opinion based on industry-wide trends. It holds MUCH more weight than the following startment:
Target should be creating new ways of doing things instead of following other retailers.

It's an educated opinion based on industry-wide trends. It holds MUCH more weight than the following startment:

You say it carries more weight. I say it doesn't. Saying "it carries more weight" makes it seems common knowledge. Which it isn't.

If we are just following industry wide trends, let's just go ahead and close. That's an industry wide trend. Should we follow that?

Target is a mix of different industries and with the retail industry seemingly in the middle of finding it's new normal it's got to be hard to know how to proceed. Do they go with the industry wide standards that may not fit them entirely or do they innovate to try and find their new processes? I can see an argument for both.

Target actually is making plans to be innovative with the eaches replenishment model. I don't know if any major retailer that has implemented that. But it's going to cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to get setup at the DCs.

I can't answer why they are making changes now to the store teams and equipment though. It seems like it would be easier for a store to transition AFTER the DC has implemented eaches replenishment.

Target actually is making plans to be innovative with the eaches replenishment model. I don't know if any major retailer that has implemented that. But it's going to cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to get setup at the DCs.

I can't answer why they are making changes now to the store teams and equipment though. It seems like it would be easier for a store to transition AFTER the DC has implemented eaches replenishment.

I imagine a lot less people would quit out of frustration as well.

Thanks for the personal attack, saying I sound uneducated. It doesn't prove your point.

If I may summarize your point ... You say, " ... no guaranteed reward." Do you GUARANTEE these changes will be successful? Doesn't that depend on your definition of successful.

My point is, if people want to go to these other successful places, why come to Target? If these retailers are already successful using these systems, why come to Target? Just go to those places.

I disagree about Target being in the grocery business. In my area, I don't know anyone who sees Target as a grocery destination. No one has ever said to me ... I'm going to the grocery .... And heads to Target. The stores here don't devote enough space to it. The prices and choice aren't competitive enough.

It wasn't a personal attack, your statement appeared uneducated, there was no reasoning attached to it. I meant it in a traditional sense, but maybe not the best delivery I can admit.

Yes, those changes will bring good results, they're already proven to do so by other retailers.

As far as grocery, you basically validated my point. Target spent a lot (A looooot) of money trying to compete with grocery via pfresh, and failed to meet demand because of a poorly optimized supply chain. By the time adjustments were made, buyer behaviors had been formed and target just wasn't a destination.

Implementing change does cost money, but implementing changes which have already been proven to work in your industry is inherently less risky than innovating, conversely it also pays off less.

You either make money or you don't. This could be done through a myriad of options, but ultimately you're increasing same store sales or you arent. "Successful" isn't an opinion.

Edit:

Closing stores isn't a trend. It's a result, of an industry wide trend of loss of sales to ecommerce.

No one is attacking you, why do you seem so defensive?

Last edited:
So we've been without pricing and presentation teams for almost 3 months now and it has been a disaster. We are 2 months behind on pogs, the team member in charge of toys only set 4 aisles this week. The 2 team members in charge of seasonal didn't even finish setting back to school and we are also a month behind on pricing.

So far this pilot is a failure at my store.

So we've been without pricing and presentation teams for almost 3 months now and it has been a disaster. We are 2 months behind on pogs, the team member in charge of toys only set 4 aisles this week. The 2 team members in charge of seasonal didn't even finish setting back to school and we are also a month behind on pricing.

Wait until the week of September 10th when Halloween sets or even better, September 17th when there is FIVE HUNDRED hours of work.

Just wait till they add a top 14" shelf above all the other shelves to store backstock, ionno if they have that planned but if they're moving to an eaches model with limited overflow and maximum flex that's where you store extra product, on a top shelf above the rest of the product. And move all of the backroom to online orders for stores to as an outlet for shipping post, for ship from store to cut shipping cost. These are all changes that are likely to happen my question is when will they move most of the workforce to be fulltime employees because else no body is going to be properly trained if they only stay a year or two because hours aren't enough for the kind of work.

I imagine a lot less people would quit out of frustration as well.

You hit the nail right on the head Oath. I had my last shift today, I have 8.75 years at Target, 7 of them on the Presentation team. I am the 3rd Presentation team member to leave this Spring/Summer. In 3 months my store has lost 50+ years of Target experience & knowledge, and I don't think "leadership" at my store cares about this at all.

How can you be a month behind on pricing?

ETA: you mean no one has done Pricing for a month? at all? in all areas of the store?

Tries to imagine the horror of only having 2 team members set BTS in Seasonal.
*messy*

How can you be a month behind on pricing?

ETA: you mean no one has done Pricing for a month? at all? in all areas of the store?

Tries to imagine the horror of only having 2 team members set BTS in Seasonal.
*messy*

A majority of the team members didn't get trained to do pricing. When we go to our ETL's or team leads for help, they just tell us to save that workload for another day. But it never gets done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back