Archived Offered GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I was offered the jump to GSA from cashier in just a few months of working as a cashier, and I took it. I was told we'd discuss all the details in a few days as the ball gets rolling, but I figured I'd ask a few questions here to get a heads-up.

1. I guess my question is, especially to current/former GSA's, how did you handle your front-end? For example, were you relaxed, or were you the "get it done/do it now", balls to the wall, some people afraid of you GSA? I pass no judgement on either, and good on you for whatever worked.

For me, I'm thankfully friendly with practically the entire front-end for my relaxed yet to the point attitude, with the exception of a few new cashiers that I haven't familiarized myself with. With that said, I'm hoping the front-end will respect me, as I don't plan on changing my attitude and pretending to be someone I'm not just because I moved up a step. I want to stay close to my team, because they're the main reason I was able to get through a shift sometimes.

2. Do you get trained at another location 100%, or is there a chance you'll train at your own? I remember right around when I started working, a TM from a different store was training at ours to be a GSA at their original store.

3. The GSA's at my store cover pretty much everything as far as the front-end goes if it needs backup (photo, Starbucks, Guest Service), so I imagine I'll be trained at these locations to the bare minimum so I could act as backup?

4. What is your honest experience on being a current/former GSA?

I guess that's about it for now.

1) When things were flowing smoothly, generally relaxed. However if we had call outs or a lot of work to get done, I expected people to perform.

2) Varies from district to district. I trained at my own store and was trained by one of the veteran GSA's.

3) I was at a high vol super target, I generally GSA'd full time except for my 1 cash office shift a week (split with cashiering afterwards, but I usually just gave the GSTL breaks). I did work occasional photo/guest service shifts, but almost never cashier shifts.

4) Overall a pretty good experience, I always received a lot of praise for being able to manage a large workload and my attention to detail. It was definitely stressful at times though -- some here would argue that the stress isn't worth a 50 cent raise.

So I'm pretty set for just about everything, the only thing that kind of stuck out was closing the registers for the night if I'm working a closing shift. What's the process of counting the register like? It's sort of strange that I'm worried about it considering I'm coming from a position of purely dealing with money, but as far as closing registers goes, you're under a strict deadline to get it done before closing.

So I'm pretty set for just about everything, the only thing that kind of stuck out was closing the registers for the night if I'm working a closing shift. What's the process of counting the register like? It's sort of strange that I'm worried about it considering I'm coming from a position of purely dealing with money, but as far as closing registers goes, you're under a strict deadline to get it done before closing.

Different stores bank in different methods, so partner with a GSTL to walk you through the process before you do a close. I found it helpful to take notes as the first time on your own may not be smooth. It becomes routine after a few nights. Ask your LOD to retrieve funds from CO once you return from your meal and you'll have more than enough time. Good luck :)

Last edited:
1. I guess I would say I am generally relaxed. I expect that I won't have to talk to people because they should know what they need to get done. Sadly, there are times with certain individuals where things don't work that way and that's when I get stern and can become the "bad guy." I think the best attitude to have when it comes to running your lanes & your cashiers is one of balance: relaxed but firm when you need to be.

2. I was supposed to be trained at the store by my GSTL but they never had any training hours to give me (supposedly), and I wound up learning the job completely on my own. I learned how to close registers in a single night. Everyone else received a more thorough training.

3. Yes, as a GSA you will be expected to know everything about the front lanes as you will need to answer any and all questions your service desk, photo, etc. have. I was extensively trained at the service desk prior to becoming GSA. Photo, not so much, but since our photo is just a couple of kiosks I quickly learned it on my own. As GSA, depending on your store, you may be split between purely GSA shifts and shifts as cashier, service desk, photo.

4. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had better support from leadership at my store, had been trained better, etc. GSA has its ups and downs -- on the plus side, it is a supervisory position and that's something to include on your resume. On the negative side, your job is almost exactly the same as the GSTL's minus coachings and you are paid a lot less than the GSTL for it. 50 cents more an hour is not enough for the stress.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great in the position, and always remember not to let the fuckers get you down.

Closing registers is very simple, and you will not have to count the money unless you work in the Cash Office the next day. Simply remove all cash from the register, place in bag with register # on it, remove other media such as coupons/sales audit slips/etc. and place in the coupon bag and sales audit slip tray. I usually give myself an hour before closing to shut down the registers and complete this process. Once you are finished, you will go into the Cash Office with the LOD and they will make sure you did everything correctly. That's it.

1. I guess my question is, especially to current/former GSA's, how did you handle your front-end? For example, were you relaxed, or were you the "get it done/do it now", balls to the wall, some people afraid of you GSA? I pass no judgement on either, and good on you for whatever worked.

For me, I'm thankfully friendly with practically the entire front-end for my relaxed yet to the point attitude, with the exception of a few new cashiers that I haven't familiarized myself with. With that said, I'm hoping the front-end will respect me, as I don't plan on changing my attitude and pretending to be someone I'm not just because I moved up a step. I want to stay close to my team, because they're the main reason I was able to get through a shift sometimes.

Your style sounds similar to my own. I prefer to be a calming presence for my front end. Maintaining a good laneside manner is key, IMO. It might take a while for some of the cashiers to get used to you in a leadership role, but I think you've got the right attitude to make it work.

2. Do you get trained at another location 100%, or is there a chance you'll train at your own? I remember right around when I started working, a TM from a different store was training at ours to be a GSA at their original store.

I only had 1 week (5 shifts) of training at my own store shadowing my GSTL.

3. The GSA's at my store cover pretty much everything as far as the front-end goes if it needs backup (photo, Starbucks, Guest Service), so I imagine I'll be trained at these locations to the bare minimum so I could act as backup?

You'll definitely be trained at Service Desk (if you haven't been already?), and probably trained in photo. I never had any formal training in either Starbucks nor Food Ave but I'm expected to routinely cover Food Ave breaks and occasionally cover Starbucks breaks. I also have to backup at the pharmacy (zero training there, too... you learn a lot on the fly as a GSA.) You may be trained in the cash office.

It should pay better.

Hey all,

I was offered the jump to GSA from cashier in just a few months of working as a cashier, and I took it. I was told we'd discuss all the details in a few days as the ball gets rolling, but I figured I'd ask a few questions here to get a heads-up.

1)depends on the day. there are times you are gsa/gstl and you have to handle 10 things at once. at my store i'm first respsone for a lot.

2)that's to the store. if you have time its other store. if they can't wait, sometimes they have at your own store. they prefer you learn at a diff store.

3) you have to ask. store i trained at thought i was crazy asking to learn things. i asked for starbucks and took a few months before i could back them up.

4) unless you want to be a tl don't.

Hey all,

1. I was one of the nicer GSA's, but I was strict when I needed to be.
2. I got trained by my GSTL but I am the district trainer for the GSA position
3. Yes.
4. Low pay, high expectations but it looks good on the resume!

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Closing registers is very simple, and you will not have to count the money unless you work in the Cash Office the next day. Simply remove all cash from the register, place in bag with register # on it, remove other media such as coupons/sales audit slips/etc. and place in the coupon bag and sales audit slip tray. I usually give myself an hour before closing to shut down the registers and complete this process. Once you are finished, you will go into the Cash Office with the LOD and they will make sure you did everything correctly. That's it.

Wow, thanks a lot. Now I'm not really worried anymore.

I actually have one more question, is there always an interview if you're offered a GSA promotion, or is it known that you can sometimes bypass the interview and just jump straight in? The reason I ask is, I'm having a hard time differentiating if I was merely offered, or fully promoted once I said yes and I'm just waiting for it to start up this coming week.

My STL congratulated me, and my ETL also said I'd be trained at my store rather than another store, which leads me to believe it was a straight promotion, but I can't tell if maybe he was also just congratulating me for getting the opportunity and saying yes. If nobody really knows for sure, I guess I'll just have to ask my ETL when I'm in next.

I actually have one more question, is there always an interview if you're offered a GSA promotion, or is it known that you can sometimes bypass the interview and just jump straight in? The reason I ask is, I'm having a hard time differentiating if I was merely offered, or fully promoted once I said yes and I'm just waiting for it to start up this coming week.

My STL congratulated me, and my ETL also said I'd be trained at my store rather than another store, which leads me to believe it was a straight promotion, but I can't tell if maybe he was also just congratulating me for getting the opportunity and saying yes. If nobody really knows for sure, I guess I'll just have to ask my ETL when I'm in next.

Different stores and different districts treat the GSA position differently. At some you'll have to do the equivalent of TL interviews (ETL-HR, STL and DTL), at some you just have to interview with your GSTL and ETL-GE, and at some they will just give you the job. Sounds like your store is the latter. Maybe they'll interview you yet as a formality, but it sounds like they've already signed off on ya.

I had to interview with the ETL-HR (we had no GE at the time) and then the STL, but I did not have to apply for the position. Once the STL gave the go ahead, I was keyed into the system as GSA. However, this is extremely ASANTS. My store considers GSA a prize. At other stores, it is the equivalent of winning the ugly duckling contest, and they don't interview at all. Others have you apply, etc. GSA is an awkward position and stores don't really know how to treat it.

Ah, GSA...TL expectations with TM pay and absolutely no respect.

The biggest problem with the position is it gets used as infill for the lack of TLS up front to actually manage the lanes. If it was treated appropriately then all GSAS would really have to do is speed weave and be available for guests.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to it. I'm aware of its cons, trust me.

I just figure anything's better than being on the register full-time, even if that means shit rolling downhill directly into your face.

So something weird happened today. Before I left, one of my GSTLs called me into the office, and then one of my ETLs walked in. My GSTL congratulated me, but kept using the word if (i.e. if you get the position...) when talking to me and offering future help for the position. This is confusing me now because I'm not sure whether or not I'm a GSA, which my other ETL made it seem like when talking about pay raise, how I'd be training in-store, etc. My GSTL didn't mention an interview or anything either.

Above all, I wish my management was a bit more straightforward with this so I kind of knew what was going on.

Last edited:
Store leadership is hardly ever on the same page with each other. I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you've got it locked up.

Thanks TD, you're a cool dude.

I'll keep you posted with how this develops. According to my higher-up ETL, this transition is supposed to occur or further continue this week, so we'll see.

Hey all,

1.) Well, I definitely want things done the way they're supposed to be done when they need to be done, but I can be relaxed as well. For example, I don't give a shit who is talking to who, just get some shit done while you're doing it and talk up the Redcards please. That's all I really ask from anybody.
Nobody is scared of me, and I would never want anybody to be scared of me (you're doing it wrong if that's happening). In fact, I'm cool with most of my cashiers, even good friends with some, but they do know when I mean business.

I know you mentioned that you don't plan on changing your attitude - remember you are stepping into a leadership position, and whether you realize it or not it's going to change a little. You're going to have to start asking things of people that you didn't have to before, and it's going to be uncomfortable. You can't just be everyone's best friend all the time, especially now. I can almost guarantee that there will be at least a couple of people who are going to hate the fact that you stepped up - there's always that miserable little bunch everywhere you go - and that's something you'll have to prepare for too.

2.)ASANTS I guess. Before now I didn't know that GSA's going to train at other stores was a thing. I knew they did it for team leads, but not GSA's. I trained at my own store (if you can call it training), skipped the formal interview process and just got overrode into the system as GSA. I'm kind of laughing to myself now thinking of the idea - if I had trained at another store, my ETL-GE would have likely just told me to forget everything they told me over there and to do it all his way.

3.)ASANTS, but at my store we are only required to know Guest Service and Photo in addition to front lanes stuff. I work in a SuperTarget, however, I know some of the smaller Targets in the area, the GSA's are supposed to be trained at Starbucks, Food Ave, and all that good stuff. It just depends on your store and how they run things...But I can tell you this, get to know Guest Service like the back of your hand. That's going to be the most important part of all of it. You get into some pretty unique situations up there. Pay attention, scout.

4.) My honest experience...somebody on here once described it as not being "for the faint of heart."
I think that sums it up very perfectly.
I had a hard time in the beginning...meltdowns weren't in short supply...I wouldn't say it got "easier", you just get used to the BS and know what to expect. I still get some shit out of left field sometimes though that I don't quite know how to handle when it hits me, but I just try to get through my day as best I can. There are plenty of team members that can usually make me laugh or feel better about things for the time being. Thank goodness for them.

My store is a high volume store. We just celebrated our one year.

I just got the position because I covered gstl's soooooo many times That HR decided to promote me.

Being a GSA is exactly like a gstl but less pay / no coaching / no paper work. BUT I WISH I COULD COACH BECAUSE SOME OF THESE CASHIERS.... ugh. I digress, it's easy when you open the store. EXFs and etc branding, pushing & zoning. Not so many guests.

my advice to you is just have patience. Don't forget ! you're still consider a TM but benched for TL.

speed weaving is your friend. <3

Uh, no.
Being on the bench means you've been mentored & prepped for a TL position, signed off by your DTL & awaiting a spot.
Granted, ASANTS but GSA doesn't automatically put you on the bench: it's merely a stepping stone.

I've been benched way before the GSA position. I guess ASANTS and the TMs performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back