Archived PATL to ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a PATL FOR 2 1/2 years and I will be graduating in May of 2016. I was recently told from my ETL that I would not be promoted from PATL bc of my position not my potential. And was offered a lateral move to backroom/instocks TL. Any info on whether this is legit or a line to move me to replace the current TL being promoted?

Our PATL promoted to Sr.TL but I don't think ETL was a consideration for her. You can jump to ETL from any position but it all depends on your leadership and district. At our store you had to move up the ladder without skipping a position. Others promote TMs to ETL or TLs to ETL. Just depends on the situation.

Last edited:
You won't promote to ETL without a degree. You can promote to ETL from any position in the store once you have a degree if your execs and STL back you. Price Accuracy being a nonpromotable position is just absurd. That is not a company policy.

They probably need a br/Instocks tl and want to see how you will do with leading a different team before they send you to interviews. I've never heard of not being able to promote from a certain position. Is your pricing position combining with pog?

Take the lateral move or wait until you graduate to see if you can move to ETL or at least Sr.TL. Moving might lock you in to 18 months but that's not always the case, just possible. Did you try for the internship?

Is it backroom instocks only? Or replenishment (flow/br/br day/instocks)

If it's replenishment, most likely they would try to move you into a senior role, if that's the case, I'd wait it out.

That being said, if you refuse the move, they probably won't promote you out of spite anyway.

I am getting mixed reports both on the web and at Spot regarding the type of degree you have to have. I was pretty sure it was required to get a 4 year degree to become an ETL. Now I'm hearing you can move up with an Associates and friends in the right places. I am going to stick to believing the former unless I hear otherwise from the experts on this forum. (Who I trust more than my co-workers lol. Sorry, but its the truth).

I am getting mixed reports both on the web and at Spot regarding the type of degree you have to have. I was pretty sure it was required to get a 4 year degree to become an ETL. Now I'm hearing you can move up with an Associates and friends in the right places. I am going to stick to believing the former unless I hear otherwise from the experts on this forum. (Who I trust more than my co-workers lol. Sorry, but its the truth).

A 4 year degree is required for external hires - unless they have extensive experience in retail management from another store or equivalent experience. Internal hires do not require a degree at all. They can promote their way to ETL without a degree (TM->TL->Sr.TL->ETL). Sometimes a degree will help a TM skip one of those positions but not always.

My replenishment ETL didn't have a degree, neither did the ETL Log for a AA+ store I trained at. They both had about 8 years at Target before making ETL. Another HL ETL had 14 years in before promoting to ETL - no degree. So a degree can accelerate the career path but it's not necessary to become an ETL.

They probably need a br/Instocks tl and want to see how you will do with leading a different team before they send you to interviews. I've never heard of not being able to promote from a certain position. Is your pricing position combining with pog?

I'm not in a low volume store so my position was not combined with Plano.

A 4 year degree is required for external hires - unless they have extensive experience in retail management from another store or equivalent experience. Internal hires do not require a degree at all. They can promote their way to ETL without a degree (TM->TL->Sr.TL->ETL). Sometimes a degree will help a TM skip one of those positions but not always.

My replenishment ETL didn't have a degree, neither did the ETL Log for a AA+ store I trained at. They both had about 8 years at Target before making ETL. Another HL ETL had 14 years in before promoting to ETL - no degree. So a degree can accelerate the career path but it's not necessary to become an ETL.

My understanding is that any overnight logistics ETL (replenishment or log) are the only ETL positions that don't require a degree.

Thanks for the responses everyone. You all confirmed that my ETL and stl are misinforming me which is unfortunate.

Our PATL promoted to Sr.TL but I don't think ETL was a consideration for her. You can jump to ETL from any position but it all depends on your leadership and district. At our store you had to move up the ladder without skipping a position. Others promote TMs to ETL or TLs to ETL. Just depends on the situation.

Was she price change and sr tl? Bc I essays on told to get sr TL I would have to move out of price change to another work center

Sounds like a line to get you to move. But your STL might really feel that way about PATL. Like many folks have said it all depends on your district. My new DTL promoted a TL with no degree at all to ETL this year. And also hired an ETL from the streets because he "liked his attitude."

My understanding is that any overnight logistics ETL (replenishment or log) are the only ETL positions that don't require a degree.
You are misinformed. Why would two of the hardest ETL positions have the fewest qualification requirements? LOG consumes many roles of the store and makes up for over 60% of store performance.

I've seen HL and SL ETLs without a degree. And our Sr.Merchant, who was being groomed for STL, only had an associates.

Was she price change and sr tl? Bc I essays on told to get sr TL I would have to move out of price change to another work center
She was - but she also gained control of Market too. She had to do both as Sr.TL.

I just went back to visit and she is currently going through the ETL interview process (ETL HL) and she doesn't have a degree. Our district doesn't require a degree for internal hires.

She was - but she also gained control of Market too. She had to do both as Sr.TL.

I just went back to visit and she is currently going through the ETL interview process (ETL HL) and she doesn't have a degree. Our district doesn't require a degree for internal hires.

Your district is smart.

Funny enough, at my old AAA Super T, the only ETL without a degree was the overnight replen. My ETL told me she (the overnight ETL) was stuck in that position until she got a degree.

I've been a PATL FOR 2 1/2 years and I will be graduating in May of 2016. I was recently told from my ETL that I would not be promoted from PATL bc of my position not my potential. And was offered a lateral move to backroom/instocks TL. Any info on whether this is legit or a line to move me to replace the current TL being promoted?

How is your workcenter, is it green? Have your review scores been EX or better? Typically if an ETL/STL is suggesting a move from PATL to Backroom/Instocks it is to see how well you manage a larger team. My understanding is that it is fairly rare for a PATL to be promoted to a Senior TL unless they take on additional work centers. Typically they prefer to keep that TL on mornings, which can conflict with LOD shift scheduling. Personally, I say take the Backroom/Instocks TL position. I originally wanted to be a Salesfloor TL, was offered a Backroom/Instocks TL position instead for a work center that was rated literally bottom of the district. It is a challenging and rewarding position and instocks is having a huge push corporate wide. Within 6 months, my workcenter was 100% green and I was promoted to SrTL. I'll be going to ETL interviews in September, and I'm currently the district trainer for logistics.

Essentially what I'm saying is don't let how comfortable you are with your current position or your view of another workcenter impact your career. Prove you are "global" and that you can face any challenge, and you'll do just fine :). If you do take the position, feel free to message me with any questions, I'm always willing to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back