Archived PFresh - What changed and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when our store went through the PFresh remodel in 2011, we lost some electronics and music space... which just did not make sense since it was so close to Christmas time and I figured that is what people go to Target to buy as gifts.

I am new to the Target floor. For all of you who has a PFresh remodel, what departments/categories shrunk in your stores?

Where I used to work, mens and womans were both shrunk. MMB and electronics moved to where sporting goods/luggage/mens used to be. Mens then took over half of the old womans space with a new fitting room that added a little bit of sales floor space.

in my store sporting good/auto shrunk a lot. hardlines gained floor space and softlines lost floor space. shoes was almost cut in half... we went from 23 aisles and 6 shelves high to 14 aisles and only 4 high. our jewelry/acc shrunk quite a bit too. everything else in the store just sort of shuffled around..

i'm at a low low volume store, the biggest change was the fresh food... our market area doubled in size.

stationary/home office and toys shrunk in addition to the above departments

Last edited:
Also:

B block lost four feet while A block gained four feet. Front lanes remained the same expect there is now a four foot shelf in front of the belts. The old G block where P fresh is now gained four feet. They moved the stock room doors over a bit.

The store I worked at was a smaller, older store but they kept it up over the years. They kept some of their old P2001 things like the lane lights and checklane belts. Even the old P2001 food ave. New hand baskets but old carts.

Thanks again everyone for the input. I guess they really made changes store by store, and not my category/department. It sounds like overall this was just a space re-allocation and not necessarily an analysis of what was and was not selling in the merchandise departments.

It also might depend on other stores in the area as well. Some stores saw larger remodels then others. I live in a metro area with a few targets. One store that opened in 1986 saw most of its changes inside as it had an P97 layout before with softlines in the middle. It was really depressing inside. They could have done more work to it, but the money was used on other stores in the area. Other store that opened in 94, had a P01 layout but didnt change much inside as with my store that opened in 89.

When my store was remodeled last year, it seemed like very little changed other than the P-Fresh area and front stockroom. But I went to another store in the district that was remodeling at the same time, and it seemed like everything there was being torn apart. We had a lot of guests coming to our store that normally went to the other store but were fed up with the condition of the store during the remodel.

The Biggest change with p-fresh was bigger areas to zone & doing more push of product. My mgt didn't notice, but I did. my closing team seem to get all push, cafs & reshop not done during the day. It is highly to start retraining the sf closing teams now.

My store is a really old one (pre 1970) and when we got pFresh our latest remodel was 2001 so all that really happened was just a rearrangement of apartments. We did lose 2 check lanes so that the A block could stay the same, but thats really all. MMB and Electronics moved to the back main and automotive moved to the middle. The worst thing was that they kept photo back in the corner where electronics used to be so guests couldn't find it (who thinks of going to the grocery section for the photo lab)?

When my store was remodeled last year, it seemed like very little changed other than the P-Fresh area and front stockroom. But I went to another store in the district that was remodeling at the same time, and it seemed like everything there was being torn apart. We had a lot of guests coming to our store that normally went to the other store but were fed up with the condition of the store during the remodel.

I helped with a remodel of another retailer last summer and we had a few complaints. Even on the first day when we moved gondlas people complained. Once August rolled around and the floors were being torn up and we took down the 12 year old deparment signs thats when people really got cranky.

I helped with a remodel of another retailer last summer and we had a few complaints. Even on the first day when we moved gondlas people complained. Once August rolled around and the floors were being torn up and we took down the 12 year old deparment signs thats when people really got cranky.

People will complain about anything, even if it's something that will actually help them. I think I remember a couple of your stories from last summer. Were you the one that was told by a customer that only non-Americans do the kind of work you were doing?

Our remodel was last year and we still have people b-tching about us 'just' switching the store around on them.

People will complain about anything, even if it's something that will actually help them. I think I remember a couple of your stories from last summer. Were you the one that was told by a customer that only non-Americans do the kind of work you were doing?

oh yes. That was me. I was doing that remodel at the time.

but yeah that store finished its remodel in September. Looks pretty damn good. Lot better then before. they never gave me word if they were keeping me and Walmart called me and offered me a job on the spot so I took Walmart. (I did not want to end up not staying and being unemployed) In a way I wish i didnt, but then again I work with some pretty awsome people and made friends pretty quick (something I always have and still struggle with) and my pay is only ten cents less then I made over there.

Last edited:
Our remodel was last summer & we still have folks complaining about how we "switched the store all around".
Yeh, it's just so you'll have to walk your lazy butts around more to find stuff. Think of it as Target's version of the "Biggest Loser". Or not.

Our remodel was last year and we still have people b-tching about us 'just' switching the store around on them.
we have have two remodels in 15 years and guests are still complaining that the deodorant was where the chemicals are now. its been over 10 years since the deodorant was in that spot. no i was here last week and it was here. Gotta love those guest who pay attention.

we have have two remodels in 15 years and guests are still complaining that the deodorant was where the chemicals are now. its been over 10 years since the deodorant was in that spot. no i was here last week and it was here. Gotta love those guest who pay attention.

Reminds me of when I worked at the grocery store before Target. It was like the first week I started that I took down the salad dressing display in produce that switched up the product some stayed, some went, and some new stuff came. It stayed the same way after that for the four years I worked there! Up until my last days there I was still hearing the "I just bought it last week", I would just say "Sorry, but we haven't carried xxx for over four years"

And at my new Target I hear people asking if we have Sushi in the Deli. I will tell them we don't and they will say they just got it here a month or two ago. That one is almost 7 years now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back