Archived Pharmacy System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next month out pharmacy "goes live" with the new PDX-EPX system. For those who already are using it, how is it? Anything you have learned that could help us? Any tricks???

Wait, the enterprise system? God, I was looking at that and it looks amazing; then I saw that it was all Java based and my brain started having seizures at the security holes that must be everywhere.

My store isn't up and running yet...we go to the new inventory system next month and have heard multiple dates for EPS (March, June, & July). Since corporate can manage to eff up the shelf tags they send us periodically (duplicates with different order points, tags for items that aren't even "valid", multiple tags for the same items with different DPCIs), I'm not holding out much hope for the new inventory system, much less EPX :(

Last edited:
I have heard from others who have used it at other stores (both within Target and at other chains) that there are good points and bad points. Apparently, it is much easier to do some tasks (such as NDC/sig changes) and "passes" no longer hold up workflow. However, it's also apparently easier to make silly errors that the pharmacists have to correct. Some people say it's not "escript friendly", but others don't have an issue with them. People either love it or hate it, just like our current system (although most people hate what we have now~LOL!)

Rapid Fill is easy! We have workflow, and it took us couple of weeks to get into in. The system is soooooo much better than the old one. For example, you can do re bill from will call, and if its not covered, you don't have to print the new paper; and for filling, pharmacist checks if you typed prescription before filling, so there is no rx correction, and there is no more passes from the pharmacist, and changing ndc is more easier.

Thing that is not that perfect is inventory management! It is better from before, but it is not that perfect how then want you to think. When the order drops, you have 30min to make edits, and see if you really need all the shit it wants to order. You always need to update your on-hand quantities, because, no matter how you try, it is going to mess up the count over time.

Advice to people with old systems... before the new system comes up, make sure you don't have minuses in on-hand quantities, for example, if otl is 0 and you have ''-10'' the system will want you to order up to 0, and you will be stuck with crap you don't need and hurt your receipt to sales.

And also, big minus, for high volume pharmacies is filling and printing backtags.

We went to the new inventory system at the first of the month. We did a full inventory the Saturday night before it rolled out... they send what they want - and so we have wayyyy more of some stuff. Way more. Double at a minimum on some of the tags.

It has not been a smooth transition at all from what I gather. I'm mainly working out as a cashier - and they just can't get it all done in the pharmacy. In our case i'm guessing it is multiple reasons, but last night when shopping the LOD (our ETL-Log) stopped me and said he was throwing HIS extra hours at the pharmacy this coming week... and I could work 40 if I wanted (don't/can't). They had 50 scripts they didn't even touch yesterday (i'm guessing autofills).

There is no way I can remotely say what is happening in our store is "normal". But the whole new inventory system just added an insane amount of stress and they are struggling. (So much that the one Pharm that didn't like me - seems pleased to see me when I am thrown in there. HA. Imagine that.....)

And also, big minus, for high volume pharmacies is filling and printing backtags.

Could you explain that a little bit more? Our pharmacy is very high volume.

I'm glad to hear positive comments about the new system, we're supposed to get ours in March or April. I started about 5 months ago and it's astounding how poorly setup the entire workflow is. I'm SO glad to hear that passes and NDC changes will no longer suck up what feels like 50% of my time.

Coincidentally this new software system comes out around the same time that I find out if I'm eligible for Target insurance. I really don't like my job and I keep biting the bullet, hoping that a better way of doing things and having insurance will suddenly make things worthwhile.

OMG... don't get me started on backtags! We have approx a 1000 to file, and it just keeps pilling, and we gave up on filling e-faxes. It is just too much for us.

Half of them are not scanning, so if you want a backtag you need to go into the profile and reprint the backtag, manuily.... that takes 10x longer than just scanning the rx, and printing it.

We are also high voooolume store and pharmacy. :(

Well I had my 6 hour demo training recently but will probably learn most the stuff after go live. The demo does not cut it. According to my learning plan, we are supposed to travel to another Target pharmacy and experience it in action BUT according to the higher ups in my store there is not enough money in the budget to pay for travel. Travel would be 1 hour of expense.

we gave up on filling e-faxes. It is just too much for us.

Same at my pharmacy.

Has anybody here worked at a non-Target pharmacy, like Walgreen's or CVS? Between Target's idiotic setup, their unwillingness to schedule anything but a barebones staff, and some of my co-workers, I'm ready to leave. But if it's going to be like this everywhere, I may as well stay for the time being.

believe it or not... but Target has very big payroll for staffing at Pharmacy. We are paid 30-50% more than other retail pharmacy techs, and they give more hours per script than others. The new system is also design for better productivity and reducing hours per script in a long run. I heard stories from other pharmacists about the other retailers, and they all say that others have better systems, but they fill 400 scripts with one/two tech a day.

Corp has a big dream with pharmacy. After the new system, the next step is target rx distribution centers, so they don't have to rely on McKesson, and raise the profits.

we gave up on filling e-faxes. It is just too much for us.

Same at my pharmacy.

Has anybody here worked at a non-Target pharmacy, like Walgreen's or CVS? Between Target's idiotic setup, their unwillingness to schedule anything but a barebones staff, and some of my co-workers, I'm ready to leave. But if it's going to be like this everywhere, I may as well stay for the time being.
Not personally, but have spoken to multiple people who have said that, other than having to deal with PDX, we have it good. I know for a fact that we pay better...I've applied at other chains and can't even get past the initial phone interview because I'm unwilling to take a MAJOR pay cut. The HIGHEST pay rate was $1.50 LESS as a Cert tech with experience than I started at as an uncert person off the street with ZERO experience! Not to mention, we don't have to deal with drive-thrus~lol! All pharmacies have bare-bones staffs, other than a few independents & hospitals, but even they are starting to cut back.

believe it or not... but Target has very big payroll for staffing at Pharmacy. We are paid 30-50% more than other retail pharmacy techs, and they give more hours per script than others. The new system is also design for better productivity and reducing hours per script in a long run. I heard stories from other pharmacists about the other retailers, and they all say that others have better systems, but they fill 400 scripts with one/two tech a day.

Corp has a big dream with pharmacy. After the new system, the next step is target rx distribution centers, so they don't have to rely on McKesson, and raise the profits.
Target may pay the RPhs 50% more, but not the techs...at least not to start. 30% is more like it (50% would be < min wage)...at least where I live. I've applied at 4 competitors and the lowest pay was $3 less than I started at, highest was $1.50 less (both were for cert techs, which is all they will hire now, neither were willing to hire uncert. techs...had I been cert. when I was hired, it would be $4 & $2.50).

AFA "not relying on McKesson", we already get about 1/2 of our meds from ANDA, so we don't "rely" on McKesson anyway. I don't see them EVER having their own distribution center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back