Archived pharmacy team votes to start micro Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I wonder if Target's just letting this one ride out (at least now) since it'll soon be CVS's problem

That could definitely be a possibility

Unions had a time and a place in employment history, just ask most of your grandparents. They helped get safer workplaces regulated by OSHA, 40 hour work week, and paid overtime. Unfortunately, I believe they are outdated and not needed anymore. I don't want a group of leaders to speak on my behalf, I don't want to be forced to go on strike if I don't believe why we are striking (and only get a percentage of my pay), and i def don't want promotions to be based on tenure - what would drive me to work harder when all I know lazy Joe sitting next to me will be promoted first because he is 10 years older with the company.

Unions had a time and a place in employment history, just ask most of your grandparents. They helped get safer workplaces regulated by OSHA, 40 hour work week, and paid overtime. Unfortunately, I believe they are outdated and not needed anymore. I don't want a group of leaders to speak on my behalf, I don't want to be forced to go on strike if I don't believe why we are striking (and only get a percentage of my pay), and i def don't want promotions to be based on tenure - what would drive me to work harder when all I know lazy Joe sitting next to me will be promoted first because he is 10 years older with the company.

Upside, no scheduling changes when you walk in for a shift that now starts two hours later than the posted schedule says. Vacations that are now approved instead of having to beg HR or your ETL. No more brown nose promotions, unions don't always promote on seniority, they can promote on skills and experience.

Strikes serve a purpose. Bee there done that. Would do it again cause this industry needs a union more than just about anywhere.

This is almost word-for-word like what I remember the "no unionizing" video Spot plays at orientation sounding like. Am I the only one?

This is almost word-for-word like what I remember the "no unionizing" video Spot plays at orientation sounding like. Am I the only one?

I'm flattered that you think my writing is articulate enough to sound like a video I've never seen (never worked for spot). However, these are my personal beliefs.

Fairly standard HR speak.
Speak like the problems workers faced are all cleaned up and everything is fine now so unions should go away.
The fact is that this country was better off when unions were strong.
We had a large middle class, which we don't now and the average worker was protected.
Outdated, not by a long shot!
Unlike the bosses, those leaders you don't want speaking for you are elected by you.
That strike you are talking about is voted on by you.
The promotions, salary, vacations, etc. are all part of a contract that is negotiated by a team (also picked by people you would approve) and you would vote on the contract.
So if you didn't like any of the issues you talked about all you had to do was gather together your coworkers and vote against it.
Try doing that with the bosses.

You damn the unions with faint praise.
They accomplished the things you talk about so cavalierly with blood, sweat, and tears.
People literally died to get them.
My grandfather was on the front lines with the IWW and had his head cracked a number of times.
Unions are needed now more than ever.

Last edited:
In the retail world Union aren't needed. Now maybe if the DCs wanted to union I could see that. But for regular store employees no. Before anyone give me crap about how pay and benefits would be much better if spot was unionzied remember this. Spot is retail you should never expect to me making a ton a money as a cashier cart attendant or sales floor team member sorry but thats just reality those jobs don't require that much skill to warrant a large pay.

In the retail world Union aren't needed. Now maybe if the DCs wanted to union I could see that. But for regular store employees no. Before anyone give me crap about how pay and benefits would be much better if spot was unionzied remember this. Spot is retail you should never expect to me making a ton a money as a cashier cart attendant or sales floor team member sorry but thats just reality those jobs don't require that much skill to warrant a large pay.

Said every CEO of every company ever.

I was in a union. I saw the good and the bad. Would I vote for it at Target? Probably not.

But don't ever bitch and moan about stuff being made outside the country. Or not being able to understand the customer service representative for the company you just called on the phone.

Y'all I think we found one of the corporate goons

Reactions: Fyi

Upside, no scheduling changes when you walk in for a shift that now starts two hours later than the posted schedule says. Vacations that are now approved instead of having to beg HR or your ETL. No more brown nose promotions, unions don't always promote on seniority, they can promote on skills and experience.

Strikes serve a purpose. Bee there done that. Would do it again cause this industry needs a union more than just about anywhere.
I work in a union shop - or you can choose to join if you want. Regardless, the union represents us as we are all part of the bargaining unit. I assure you: Vacations are NOT approved. It is often first come first served and only a few can go at any given time. If it comes down to two people asking at the same time, seniority wins.

Seniority also decides promotions in many cases.

Don't be fooled.

Said every CEO of every company ever.

I was in a union. I saw the good and the bad. Would I vote for it at Target? Probably not.

But don't ever bitch and moan about stuff being made outside the country. Or not being able to understand the customer service representative for the company you just called on the phone.

Unions have nothing to do with products being made out side the country or companies outsourcing call centers.

I personally know people that have been burned in unionised retail. One guy I know was with a unionised grocer for years and while working full time never made more than minimum wage, though he should have accrued by their standards about time and a half that. Management told him to speak with the union, the union rep gave him the run around and would never escalate the issue.

It's not a perfect system.

I work in a union shop - or you can choose to join if you want. Regardless, the union represents us as we are all part of the bargaining unit. I assure you: Vacations are NOT approved. It is often first come first served and only a few can go at any given time. If it comes down to two people asking at the same time, seniority wins.

Seniority also decides promotions in many cases.

Don't be fooled.

My mother was a CWA Communications Worker out of SoCal for 22 plus years, I did five years in the same. My father was a Teamster for 10+ years, so obviously I have no idea how unions work.

Unions have nothing to do with products being made out side the country or companies outsourcing call centers.

I was referring wage statement in the comment I quoted, not to unions.

But since you mentioned it, for you to say unions have NOTHING to do with outsourcing and unions is shortsighted. My union job was outsourced to Mexico against our contract. The company chose to fight lengthy legal battles to eliminate the union jobs here in the US rather than.keep them here. Why? Wages, benefits, etc.

Y'all I think we found one of the corporate goons

There's no need for name calling, I am not a "goon". I've never worked for target, so no I am not from corporate. These are my beliefs on unions and i respect that you have your own. Now please do the same.

I thought the same exact thing as I read it.

That said, I missed out on a promotion at my other job because it went to a union member with seniority. Never mind the fact that I'm not even eligible to join the union because they don't represent my current workcenter.

There's no need for name calling, I am not a "goon". I've never worked for target, so no I am not from corporate. These are my beliefs on unions and i respect that you have your own. Now please do the same.

Then why are you on this site if you don't work for target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back