Archived Plano responsibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our line is basically just storage space during the day. There has not been a single day where the line has been empty. Every night when the Backroom closer has to set the line, they need to move all of the pallets that occupy the line (which I believe is about two to three times as long as the one in the picture) and stuff the pallets behind the steel. And if we can't fit it all and leave a couple of pallets with product at the end of the line, we get bitched at by the ETL-Repl for being lazy. Oh the irony.

I could only dream of that organization in my store, my previous store does almost exactly the same routine like yours and it seems to workout.

I don't think we are doing any thing special... like I posted, its been this way since I started, and thats years ago...so meh... its been that way I was taught that is to be this way.. so its done that way...

I've got all the new picnic set stuff on pallets by valley, and playground, same thing.

My stockroom and receiving are very small and space is at a premium. When y'all sort how much space is given for the stage, I know some transitions require less space and others like domestics take up multiple pallets.

Space for everything is at premium in stores, BR, SF, any where else... I've got 30-40ft worth of steel racking double shelves to put transition staging, this is above the "backstock" area for the unload... I got another 30-40ft of it on the other side above the conveyor rollers for the unload, only single shelf... A lot this is taken with CHEP pallets, wood pallets used for staging, BS for unload, shippers of various sorts for things...

How many team members would you say it takes to sort the transitions and what would be a good time since it seems all hands are on deck to get the truck pushed and backstock ?

It depends on how much... mostly its 1, and possibly 2.

ONE (1) TM the bulk/transitions/paper/plastics BS/furniture person... maybe during Q4 or larger pile ups ie: BTC/BTS, Easter, ValentinesSuckers day, etc... we will assign 3-4 total to sort it out... It just depends on really how much we get on a particular unload...

This is DONE AFTER the unload, and AFTER BULK/PIPO push... It normally occurs about between 0900-1100 depending on BULK push... but this TM routinely leaves by 1100-1145 at the latest unless it really is a lot...

Oh.. and I guess even though this TM is considered a Flow TM by schedule, they really are BR...they answer to BRTL on this process, not me.. and I fine with that.. as that particular TM is not the person I would pick for the role...

We are supposed to be 6am process also but since we are still a broken process we have been allowed to stay at 4 am since the 4th quarter.

Well like I've said before this is an open sore at our store..and considering how close we are to getting 0400 back.. it really is a poke to an open sore... We dragged 0400 out and kicked and screamed for quite awhile till it came down from on high that we move to 0600 or else... That most of the team didn't walk out is a miracle.. 99% of them are not, were not, and still are not happy with it.. Mention double trucks and 0200 and people are like doing cartwheels down valleys.....

The TLDR; is that logistics, Flow, IS, PC, POG, all should be done at some point from store close to store closed. Doesn't matter what sales volume is! :mad: That is the stupidest metric to determine Flow start or just about anything else. Guest bitch and whine to TM, me, the comment cards, and surveys.. they don't like fighting flats of freight, TM in valleys, cages of cardboard.. it is just unprofessional and it doesn't matter what you do in BP, it is still just wrong.

Your Logistics ETL allows this?
Not usually but he's on vacation right now. Newish flow tl plus brtl/stl trying to triage added trucks and tms quitting and calling out equals no ducks left to give.

When we come clean from truck we might have a couple flats of price change/ clearance, a flat of steel backstock, and a couple vehicles of leftover pog pull. But we're so red right now I think the entire priced of tls is in danger of termination.

We do base decks since there are so many isles you physically can't get to the backer board. But bloody hell take out the old ones.. I know the two that set and forget and generally act like we should pay them to just walk around and gossip..
I'm torn between basedeck display on beginning of physical section and our crappy, hard-to-slide-into adhesive sleeves that are facing the wrong way and that are sometimes completely hidden. Most of the time I usually don't put it up. It's easier to just type in a aisle number on the mD and see what all is tied there.

I'm honestly surprised about how strict some of your Leadership is about that, I just thought that that's how it was done. It surprises me that my STL/ETL-Ops would be lax about something like that since they're super on top of everything else. I think I'll try to bring it up with them, because it really is a pain most of the time. The pallets are also almost always stacked haphazardly, seen below.

UceSuLF.jpg

Your Logistics ETL allows this?
When I first reported to this current store I was in shock that the line and receiving was allowed to look like this. My previous store and STL would never have allowed this sort of thing to happen much less it be a daily occurrence. Turnover at this store is ridiculous with a contestant wave of logistics leaders coming and leaving. The current BRTL (amazing transfer from other store) and I are pushing to help flow get back on process but honestly this store has never seen a green process. No store is perfect but now I realize that I took my old store for granted for being able to come clean on a daily basis. I completely agree with Masteroflogistics all process and unload should be an overnight process. The 6 am does not work and even though we come in at 4 currently it is a mission. It's refreshing to hear I am not alone in the struggles in my store and also that the correct way to execute best practice is possible. However it also reaffirms that HQ has no clue how they have squeezed us to streamline payroll to get profits for the shareholders and their bonuses.

I'm honestly surprised about how strict some of your Leadership is about that, I just thought that that's how it was done. It surprises me that my STL/ETL-Ops would be lax about something like that since they're super on top of everything else. I think I'll try to bring it up with them, because it really is a pain most of the time. The pallets are also almost always stacked haphazardly, seen below.

UceSuLF.jpg
Sadly that would be good for us. We had baby pallets that were stacked and wrapped so badly they fell apart...

had that problem at my previous store, they would NEVER trap anything in the transition steel so my team & I were stuck with never ending batches, it got so bad that i told my STL what was the fucking point of me even having to pre-tie. Our line would look like this 75% of the time as well.

Oh wow that is bad. There's even shopping carts back there. We aren't allowed to touch a shopping cart unless we are bringing it to a guest. We would get chewed out for that if our DTL saw it. Carts are for guests not for team members. :rolleyes:

Alright, today has been nothing but me fixing overnight's fuck ups. They left a million vehicles of backstock in infants and electronics, and what little backstock was done in either stockroom was the worst thing I've ever seen. It's like they were trying to backstock incorrectly. There was a bottle of Windex in a waco with baby food pouches and formula. I had to locu and re-sto sections A-K, and it was not pretty.

Then, while setting the line, I saw the worst stacked pallets in my life. I only took a picture of one, but several were stacked similarly or even worse (Picture below). My ETL-OPS was the closer tonight, and boy did she get to hear some colourful language. Our STL is going overnight tonight, so I showed the picture to her as well and hopefully something will be done about this, because it's unsafe and just plain stupid.

20160323_184147.jpg

Alright, today has been nothing but me fixing overnight's fuck ups. They left a million vehicles of backstock in infants and electronics, and what little backstock was done in either stockroom was the worst thing I've ever seen. It's like they were trying to backstock incorrectly. There was a bottle of Windex in a waco with baby food pouches and formula. I had to locu and re-sto sections A-K, and it was not pretty.

Then, while setting the line, I saw the worst stacked pallets in my life. I only took a picture of one, but several were stacked similarly or even worse (Picture below). My ETL-OPS was the closer tonight, and boy did she get to hear some colourful language. Our STL is going overnight tonight, so I showed the picture to her as well and hopefully something will be done about this, because it's unsafe and just plain stupid.

20160323_184147-jpg.1976

who stacks pallets like that, it'l hurt a TM

images

Plano team at our store is responsible for setting shelves and placing signage, period. The rest of their day is spent staring into their phones while getting flow to stock what they set.

who stacks pallets like that, it'l hurt a TM

images

My favorite part is the LaCroix propping up the two furniture items, and since they're evenly spaced out I can only assume that it was a conscious decision.

Also, forgot to add this to the OP, but sorry about derailing from the topic. Just wanted to vent about overnight.

The TLDR; is that logistics, Flow, IS, PC, POG, all should be done at some point from store close to store closed. Doesn't matter what sales volume is! :mad: That is the stupidest metric to determine Flow start or just about anything else. Guest bitch and whine to TM, me, the comment cards, and surveys.. they don't like fighting flats of freight, TM in valleys, cages of cardboard.. it is just unprofessional and it doesn't matter what you do in BP, it is still just wrong.
Agreed.

Plano team at our store is responsible for setting shelves and placing signage, period. The rest of their day is spent staring into their phones while getting flow to stock what they set.
Who removes and reworks all the old product? And who pushes all the new stuff?

My flow team does.

I am curious as to this..... why???? Well who on "Flow" team is stacking pallets at least that kind of items on a pallet (not the stacking of freight from sort)... Why??? well.. if this is stuff that came off the truck... then this falls into the "Bulk" persons on my team.. and well they really are not "Flow"

I am more just curious as to who would be stacking this stuff more than anything...at least from "Flow" as very few of my TM's should or are stacking anything, or accessing the crown or powered pallet jack or anything other than a flat, tub, pallet jack. And that is limited to the bulk person and the floating pusher/bulk/scanner person... and even some of the TM can't handle a manual pallet jack... and they have been there for years.. I have no idea why.. and they won't learn and if they try it just slows them down and causes more problems....

I actually can see DC TM's doing this.. trust me the stuff I see stacked on trucks is just amazing..

This week's highlights already include taking the same amount of time to unload 1900 pieces as 2500. Yup.

This has always been an issue... it is one of the reasons I am a big advocate and user of timers, whether the team can see them or not... The minute the 0600 rolls around, I hit the timer...tick tick tick... at 1900 pieces at 645 to 650... they better be done, or cleaning out the nose end of things... Anything less than 2000 is 45 mins +- 5 minutes. Barring the real world pallets etc... crap happens... but if it does.. then I better know.. or when I come back there and I see 2 panels left in a 1900 truck and its 0700! :mad:

Proceed to add any tm with a pulse...

No, trust me just throwing bodies at it is the PROBLEM! This is the same reason retention sucks.. you just keep throwing bodies at things with out training, education, and understanding, it leads to lax practices ie: slow unload... I've got plenty of bodies you can throw back there.. it doesn't fix anything... unless those bodies are MOTIVATED to MOVE! This applies to more than just TGT too... The "you can hire any monkey off the street to fill that spot!" Yeah sure you might hire some one, doesn't mean they work out, and we just lather, wash, rinse, repeat.[/QUOTE]

I am curious as to this..... why???? Well who on "Flow" team is stacking pallets at least that kind of items on a pallet (not the stacking of freight from sort)... Why??? well.. if this is stuff that came off the truck... then this falls into the "Bulk" persons on my team.. and well they really are not "Flow"

I am more just curious as to who would be stacking this stuff more than anything...at least from "Flow" as very few of my TM's should or are stacking anything, or accessing the crown or powered pallet jack or anything other than a flat, tub, pallet jack. And that is limited to the bulk person and the floating pusher/bulk/scanner person... and even some of the TM can't handle a manual pallet jack... and they have been there for years.. I have no idea why.. and they won't learn and if they try it just slows them down and causes more problems....

I actually can see DC TM's doing this.. trust me the stuff I see stacked on trucks is just amazing..

This has always been an issue... it is one of the reasons I am a big advocate and user of timers, whether the team can see them or not... The minute the 0600 rolls around, I hit the timer...tick tick tick... at 1900 pieces at 645 to 650... they better be done, or cleaning out the nose end of things... Anything less than 2000 is 45 mins +- 5 minutes. Barring the real world pallets etc... crap happens... but if it does.. then I better know.. or when I come back there and I see 2 panels left in a 1900 truck and its 0700! :mad:

No, trust me just throwing bodies at it is the PROBLEM! This is the same reason retention sucks.. you just keep throwing bodies at things with out training, education, and understanding, it leads to lax practices ie: slow unload... I've got plenty of bodies you can throw back there.. it doesn't fix anything... unless those bodies are MOTIVATED to MOVE! This applies to more than just TGT too... The "you can hire any monkey off the street to fill that spot!" Yeah sure you might hire some one, doesn't mean they work out, and we just lather, wash, rinse, repeat.
[/QUOTE]
I am a Plano team leader and this week I have stepped in to help flow out since the flow TL quit. It has been a good 12 years since I last unloaded a truck or scanned it , last time was back when we still used LRT's. One thing is for certain though the process doesn't change much and it is always very easy to blame "flow","Plano", or any workcenter for issues that are really the cause of an I ndividual team member not the whole team. Team members regardless of what workcenter they belong to will cut corners and not care if you don't follow up or show that you care about the process being done correctly and on time.

Now that crazy double stacked pallet most likely was pulled off the truck that way. Today as I was helping the team on the line I would find similar pallets like that one stacked very crazy so the DC can get as much product into the truck as possible. Now that pallet should not have been allowed to stay that way and should have been correctly separated and pushed to the floor or back stocked depending where it scanned to.

Timelines are extremely important and although today I didn't use a timer I was very aware of the clock and it took us just under an hour to unload a 2200 piece truck and surprisingly pushed and clean off the floor before opening. With the exception of all the Easter that has been purged to us this week we had very little come to be back stocked.

Last edited:

View attachment 1976
Maybe it is some troll who did that. Wanted a LOL

I am a Plano team leader and this week I have stepped in to help flow out since the flow TL quit. It has been a good 12 years since I last unloaded a truck or scanned it , last time was back when we still used LRT's. One thing is for certain though the process doesn't change much

Which spotlights how OUT of TOUCH for 2016 this process is... from the DC manually stuffing box by box to build walls to the throwers ripping this down, etc.... think about the HUGE WASTE OF HOURS THERE thats 11 man hours right there! Where as probably 5 to 6 of that could be moved to actual push if the stuff was pre-palletized by custom block, and we just yank and attack.. no sorting, no down stacking... When my FDC team doesn't waste time downstacking stuff they get through so much more in 2 hours before the store opens than wasting 10 mins to downstack and then push..

This is one of the reasons RFID was explored by that other store, probably a DECADE ago... They may have not chosen to move forward with then.. for various reasons... but RFID has many advantages... but as is said many times... implementation, implementation...

and it is always very easy to blame "flow","Plano",

Yeah... but the "Bash Flow" culture seems to permeate company wide.

or any workcenter for issues that are really the cause of an Individual team member not the whole team. Team members regardless of what workcenter they belong to will cut corners and not care if you don't follow up or show that you care about the process being done correctly and on time.

Alot of the cutting of corners is from plain just lack of training. They don't know what to do so they guess.

Now that crazy double stacked pallet most likely was pulled off the truck that way. Today as I was helping the team on the line I would find similar pallets like that one stacked very crazy so the DC can get as much product into the truck as possible. Now that pallet should not have been allowed to stay that way and should have been correctly separated and pushed to the floor or back stocked depending where it scanned to.

Thats my point, it was more than likely put on the truck that way by the DC with a motorized pallet jack and/or fork/crown. Pallets of water on top of paper towels... pallets teetering on top of dog food pallets... :)

Timelines are extremely important and although today I didn't use a timer I was very aware of the clock and it took us just under an hour to unload a 2200 piece truck and surprisingly pushed and clean off the floor before opening.

I've used a timer for so long its 2nd nature to just start it... but I am constantly look at the clock on the mytoy and then comparing where they are in the truck... The timer is nice for me as it makes a noise and vibrates if I get sidetracked by some other crisis like an explosion of market or SL ... I also thing a nice game of "beat the clock" is healthy for the team.. If different teams of throwers "throw down" to work faster and SAFELY, and we get done in 1 hr... then great...I am all for throwing food and other rewards at them more than just some "vibe card" and a good job comment, even if I do all of that too.. I am a big advocate of letting people know they did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back