Promoting at Target

The route for "moving up" at Target seems to be TM to TL, or at least a PG45 role. Are there any other ways of moving up that don't involve a leadership position?
From what I saw in my days there it was always external hires.

My speculation on the matter is that internal promotion would come with empathy for those on lower rank because you've been where they've been. Therefore, Target would prefer individuals who have not had to endure what others have and therefore be much harder on them.

Sad and weird but true. Retail is NOT a kind business :-(

I have noticed if you are homosexual or black you have a much greater chance of being promoted. If you're white just be gay and if you're black just be.
I wouldn't go that far. Target is progressive in hiring and promotions, and from what I've seen handles race and gender pretty well. It could be that some of us are conditioned to a somewhat racist world and are thus uncomfortable with the change toward equality. It could be that you've experienced a bubble of racism or reaction that goes the other way. I don't think Target has a problem generally speaking.

I am a huge fan of diversity, I just don't like how blatantly obvious it is that they are only promoting black and/or homosexual people for their own profit. They ripped the band aid off immediately and it's really unbecoming. If you need "proof" just look at all the white men leaving the company in management and all the black and/or homosexual people getting the job. Clear as crystal if you take 10 minutes to look.

I am a huge fan of diversity, I just don't like how blatantly obvious it is that they are only promoting black and/or homosexual people for their own profit. They ripped the band aid off immediately and it's really unbecoming. If you need "proof" just look at all the white men leaving the company in management and all the black and/or homosexual people getting the job. Clear as crystal if you take 10 minutes to look.
Just stop.

I wouldn't go that far. Target is progressive in hiring and promotions, and from what I've seen handles race and gender pretty well. It could be that some of us are conditioned to a somewhat racist world and are thus uncomfortable with the change toward equality. It could be that you've experienced a bubble of racism or reaction that goes the other way. I don't think Target has a problem generally speaking.
It's not somewhat racist, it's blatantly racist. Who gives a shit if every single manager at Target is black and/or gay? Are they doing their job? Are they a good manager? That's all that matters. I've had plenty of shitty white managers, male and female.

It’s not like Target is some glamorous job. Some of those white men might be getting jobs that have more pay and less stress.

I have noticed if you are homosexual or black you have a much greater chance of being promoted. If you're white just be gay and if you're black just be.
I’m addicted to vigina. It doesn’t matter the race I eat it all, clean only tho 🧼. I am a white boy who has never been promoted though, yet I can code in Python?

My building is actively looking for and trying to mentor and promote female leaders from the floor. And I think most of the TM promotes this year were women.
I think Melissa Kramer should be our next CEO. We have a professional relationship and she is a great leader. Talk about woman and leadership positions let’s talk about executives. A lead warehouse worker is a chump position.

Target Board of Directors who are women:
Gail Boudreaux
Melanie Healy
Christine A Leahy
Monica Lozano
Grace Puma

Target Executive Leadership team who are women:
Katie Boylan - Executive Vice President and Chief Communications Officer

Christina Hennington - Executive Vice President and Chief Growth Officer

Melissa Kremer -Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer

Jill Sando - Executive Vice President and Chief Merchandising Officer

Cara Sylvester - Executive Vice President and Chief Guest Experience Officer

Laysha Ward - Executive Vice President and Chief External Engagement Officer

Around 40% of the Board of Directors are women and 40% of the Executive Leadership team are women.

Target doesn't have a problem with women in senior roles as a company. The problem is at the building levels (stores/dcs). Especially DCs. Because warehouse work is a stereotypically man's job so when the percentage of women is lower than men working it becomes that much harder to elevate woman.

Not saying its right, but its a math problem and in some buildings like DC Diva's its seems its a culture problem.

Target Board of Directors who are women:
Gail Boudreaux
Melanie Healy
Christine A Leahy
Monica Lozano
Grace Puma

Target Executive Leadership team who are women:
Katie Boylan - Executive Vice President and Chief Communications Officer

Christina Hennington - Executive Vice President and Chief Growth Officer

Melissa Kremer -Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer

Jill Sando - Executive Vice President and Chief Merchandising Officer

Cara Sylvester - Executive Vice President and Chief Guest Experience Officer

Laysha Ward - Executive Vice President and Chief External Engagement Officer

Around 40% of the Board of Directors are women and 40% of the Executive Leadership team are women.

Target doesn't have a problem with women in senior roles as a company. The problem is at the building levels (stores/dcs). Especially DCs. Because warehouse work is a stereotypically man's job so when the percentage of women is lower than men working it becomes that much harder to elevate woman.

Not saying its right, but its a math problem and in some buildings like DC Diva's its seems its a culture problem.
Let’s get a woman in the chief executive officer position! Even better! I promote diversity and equality.

Last edited:
I've known a number TLs that became ETLs. It may just be because of my district HR or what not, even atleast one person becoming ETL at the store they were TL at.
I know of 2 TMs who were promoted to TL in-house and failed quickly because they were now "over" the TMS who they stole credit from for completed projects, stole projects from them , lied about their own NOT completed work performance to the SD and spread gossip about TM s through "moles" in other departments.
Apparently, a store needs to generate enough $$ to justify having an ETL, ours doesn't, so some TLS are moving off to other stores with ETL s for a better chance at further promotion.
To be quite frank regarding the above OP comments...I do notice that on our roster there are less then a hand full of other than Mexican /Guatemalan tms. The majority are given off stage duties together where they listen to their music and talk in their own language taking 2x the amount of time to complete their given task and the GS/Floor push duties are left to that other handful. Leadership is majority Mexican/Guatemalen..the last 5 hires are Mexican/ Guatemalan and the last 2 promotions are Mexican /Guatemalen. Fine. Maybe it's a pipeline we are not aware of that Target participates in however there is distinct segregation on the floor at GS and in the backrooms because this majority predominantly speaks other than English the majority of the shift, It s exclusionary and disorienting to those who are not other English speaking. Leadership speaks to them in Spanish on the floor and in the offices and ALL OF THEM speak perfectly fine English.

You’re wrong. Stop commenting this idea throughout the site.

What is correct, though, is that in the last few years, target has decided to do something about their leadership consisting mostly of 1 to 2 particular groups of people in society.. and that is white men and women and in a lot of cases those men and women are also nondiverse in regards to their sexuality as well. They are giving everyone the fair chance on all levels.

it is not acceptable to have a leadership team of all white straight people

You’re wrong. Stop commenting this idea throughout the site.

What is correct, though, is that in the last few years, target has decided to do something about their leadership consisting mostly of 1 to 2 particular groups of people in society.. and that is white men and women and in a lot of cases those men and women are also nondiverse in regards to their sexuality as well. They are giving everyone the fair chance on all levels.

it is not acceptable to have a leadership team of all white straight people

He can't comment around the site anymore.
That's what happens when you keep being a racist, sexist, homophobe even when you've been asked to stop.

Back