Archived Promotion, Opportunity, and Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
First things first, I'm new to this site after searching for details on what may be happening in my Target leadership journey. So here's the situation... I've been with Target for roughly 6 months after graduating from college with a degree in sociology. When I went through initial interviews, the STL took me through Team lead interviews but decided it was best if I started out as a PA in order to get a feel for the culture of Target, and within 6 months I will get a promotion. Well the time has come where a huge department(at my store) will be having a team lead depart and of course I was naturally the selection for this. I have been working with my ETL for about a month now to develop my skills for the interviews, but I still haven't been given a date for the interviews. I have a great relationship with all of the leadership at my store, and I was quickly brought into the leadership group and treated as an equal. I am however, worried that I am being overlooked because of my degree and perhaps they don't want to pay me what they fear they will have to. Any who, I was recently selected for plano after XMAS by my STL, and I assume this has to do with my promotion. Does it? In addition to this, is it possible that I will be moved straight to a Senior Team lead? We haven't really discussed any of the details of my promotion, and I'm extremely curious on the pay(or lack there of), although i do know that much of the leadership sees a strong future in me. Anyone have any experience similar to mine?!

Your pay is not dependent on your degree, but on the position and what the starting rate is in your market for that position. Most TLs start at a pay grade 11, which can be anywhere for $11 to $13 an hour depending on your states minimum wage and other market factors. Your degree is irrelevant. To go from TM to Sr. TL is rare, but not unheard of, but most likely you will be promoted to TL and another more experienced TL will be promoted to the Sr position

[QUOTE="seespotrun, post: 159712, member: 12777]"I am however, worried that I am being overlooked because of my degree and perhaps they don't want to pay me what they fear they will have to. Any who, I was recently selected for plano after XMAS by my STL, and I assume this has to do with my promotion. Does it? [/QUOTE]

I have experienced a similar situation as you. You don't have a degree in business, and a degree is irrelevant for a TL position. You have no leverage with this degree and you don't really have any baraining power for pay. They will offer you what the starting rate for the pay grade is and if you try to negotiate they will most likely hire someone else.

For Plano, it may or may not have to do with your possible promotion, and it also could be your store needs more people. January is one of the biggest months for Plano.

I'm not trying to burst out bubble, just being honest

I am happy to answer any more questions!

I hate to tell you this but it sounds very much like you got screwed.
If you wanted to get a management position the best way to do that is to apply for one directly not start out as a TM and work up.
They will tell you there is a promotion track but that tends to be very misleading.
Ask around, see how many of the ETLs worked their way up and how many were hired straight from college.

Honestly you might have better luck quitting and applying for an ETL position.

my experience people you love who appreciate what you do, know youre qualified, are actually detrimental. never assume you'll get anything on timeline, just push push push. i needed a job and started as cashier. immediately identified as cash office and guest service worthy. i said ok, when they get training hours they'll schedule me. early identified and want to do more? that's got be a good thing right?

i got 15 minutes of training before being stuck at guest service, and never did get that proposed cash office training. i could only cover a lunch, and only after a friend said they needed coverage i was allowed to be scheduled there. if i was guest service from the first time they offered, i'd be a tl at least, likely a etl.

It was actually a GSA at our store that pushed for me to be GS-trained initially, our GSTL seemed content to leave me on a regular checklane, he only started having me work at the service desk when he came in one day and I was already working at it. It actually irked me a good bit that he'd had 2-3 cashiers that started after me guest-service trained before me and likely would have continued that trend had not the GSA stepped in and decided to get me trained herself.

I've seen college grads hired as Sr.TLs and move up to ETL but not hired as a TM with a path to ETL. Usually the excuse to place in Sr.TL position is because the person needs more development. PA is very much closer to the bottom than a Sr.TL so I find it interesting they made that move. Probably to fill a hole for their benefit and not yours.

Also, I've noticed that those that apply at store level get pushed into TL or lower positions while those that apply to corporate go through the ETL interview process. Just a thought

I hate to tell you this but it sounds very much like you got screwed.
If you wanted to get a management position the best way to do that is to apply for one directly not start out as a TM and work up.
They will tell you there is a promotion track but that tends to be very misleading.
Ask around, see how many of the ETLs worked their way up and how many were hired straight from college.

Honestly you might have better luck quitting and applying for an ETL position.
yep and it seems like a lot of the managers play favorites! they only promote why THEY want not who really deserves it.

It's funny you bring this up, for the past 3 months I have been treated almost like an ETL at my store. Well probably more like those awesome interns we get every summer. All of the executives at my store treat me as an equal for the most part. I'm still expected to do my daily tasks such as pulls, zoning, being on the floor, flexibles and all that jazz but most of my ETLs come to me to help with issues or like hearing my input for the most part. I help lead the floor when an ETL is closing by moving people around when theres call offs or no call no shows. They've been taking steps doing interviews with me and teaching me about their daily tasks no matter which one it is. Logistics, HR, GE all have kind of taken me under their wing to teach me a little bit as they go as to what is expected of them and how I can do their job when the time comes. When I am done with school I don't think they're going to promote me to TL I have a strange feeling that I will do an internship next summer at another store and then come back to mine with a better insight on how other stores in the area work being able to put my knowledge to use at my home store. From the way they make it sound I would possibly go straight to ETL rather than going to TL after college is completed.

I was hoping even though were ULV I would possibly be able to snag the TL position from home to store shipping and flexibles however the way it's looking at our store since it's ULV is that our receiving person is going to be leading that and we will just have someone on the floor constantly pulling batches from floor/backroom.

I've seen college grads hired as Sr.TLs and move up to ETL but not hired as a TM with a path to ETL. Usually the excuse to place in Sr.TL position is because the person needs more development. PA is very much closer to the bottom than a Sr.TL so I find it interesting they made that move. Probably to fill a hole for their benefit and not yours.

Also, I've noticed that those that apply at store level get pushed into TL or lower positions while those that apply to corporate go through the ETL interview process. Just a thought

I'd go as far as saying a PA these days, may have more responsibilities than some TLs, depending on department. I'd like to hear of a position that is more hybrid than PA in dealing with Sales Floor/Logistics/Backroom issues, let alone dealing with Vendors.

I will edit this and say, SELF-responsibility.

Last edited:
It's funny you bring this up, for the past 3 months I have been treated almost like an ETL at my store. Well probably more like those awesome interns we get every summer. All of the executives at my store treat me as an equal for the most part. I'm still expected to do my daily tasks such as pulls, zoning, being on the floor, flexibles and all that jazz but most of my ETLs come to me to help with issues or like hearing my input for the most part. I help lead the floor when an ETL is closing by moving people around when theres call offs or no call no shows. They've been taking steps doing interviews with me and teaching me about their daily tasks no matter which one it is. Logistics, HR, GE all have kind of taken me under their wing to teach me a little bit as they go as to what is expected of them and how I can do their job when the time comes. When I am done with school I don't think they're going to promote me to TL I have a strange feeling that I will do an internship next summer at another store and then come back to mine with a better insight on how other stores in the area work being able to put my knowledge to use at my home store. From the way they make it sound I would possibly go straight to ETL rather than going to TL after college is completed.

I was hoping even though were ULV I would possibly be able to snag the TL position from home to store shipping and flexibles however the way it's looking at our store since it's ULV is that our receiving person is going to be leading that and we will just have someone on the floor constantly pulling batches from floor/backroom.
Unless you have it in writing I wouldn't count on anything "they" say. Most etls, stls, tl, are all well known for making promises they have no intention of keeping and or eating up on someone until the nxt big thing comes alone .

Unless you have it in writing I wouldn't count on anything "they" say. Most etls, stls, tl, are all well known for making promises they have no intention of keeping and or eating up on someone until the nxt big thing comes alone .

Yeah I am sure that happens more often than not but I have drive to do good and better than everyone in my store. Whether it doesn't go the way I want or not at least I know I am working hard rather than slacking off. It's work...

I'd go as far as saying a PA these days, may have more responsibilities than some TLs, depending on department. I'd like to hear of a position that is more hybrid than PA in dealing with Sales Floor/Logistics/Backroom issues, let alone dealing with Vendors.

I agree that a PA has a ton of responsibilities. But from a top-down view - the hard work of a PA is contributed to the leadership of the TL or ETL of that department. Sure, a visitor may say the PA is doing a great job but most likely the ETL, maybe the TL, will get the credit. On my visits from the GOL, he didn't congratulate my team or individuals for their efforts, he said I was doing a great job. Obviously it was my duty to share that with the actual TMs who contributed to our success. Some ETLs/TLs may not share that recognition.

Promotion from PA to ETL is a long journey. I wanted to promote a few TMs from my team to TL but I was always fighting other ETLs who had the same idea to promote their own TMs. We hired college grads as TMs, TLs, Sr.TLs, and had no intentions on promoting them to ETL, at least not in the near future. And by the time that TM was eligible for promotion, he/she had to butter-up to the newest ETL because ETLs have a high turnover rate in our district. I can visit about 15 Targets in this area and I bet within the last 2 years each store has 1-2 original ETLs.

Back to the PA thought - Target puts a lot of work on the shoulders of their PAs. It's a challenging position that deserves recognition and a swift promotion.

I agree that a PA has a ton of responsibilities. But from a top-down view - the hard work of a PA is contributed to the leadership of the TL or ETL of that department. Sure, a visitor may say the PA is doing a great job but most likely the ETL, maybe the TL, will get the credit. On my visits from the GOL, he didn't congratulate my team or individuals for their efforts, he said I was doing a great job. Obviously it was my duty to share that with the actual TMs who contributed to our success. Some ETLs/TLs may not share that recognition.

Promotion from PA to ETL is a long journey. I wanted to promote a few TMs from my team to TL but I was always fighting other ETLs who had the same idea to promote their own TMs. We hired college grads as TMs, TLs, Sr.TLs, and had no intentions on promoting them to ETL, at least not in the near future. And by the time that TM was eligible for promotion, he/she had to butter-up to the newest ETL because ETLs have a high turnover rate in our district. I can visit about 15 Targets in this area and I bet within the last 2 years each store has 1-2 original ETLs.

Back to the PA thought - Target puts a lot of work on the shoulders of their PAs. It's a challenging position that deserves recognition and a swift promotion.

Yep, it's like the whole REDcard culture. In the end, the STL and ETL-GE gets all of the credit or nagging from the DTL. Then the GSTLs get all of the credit or nagging from the ETL-GE. Then the GSAs get congratulated or called out on the individual shifts for whether or not the team had a lucky shift. Then the cashiers get individual credit (and hopefully not too much crap) for their weekly conversion score.

But in the end, the DTL doesnt care who gets the REDCards on what shift as long as the store is green for the week, which they consider a culture thing driven by the upper leaders in the store.

Well, for an update, I am getting the Team Lead Promotion.

As people have been talking about the PA position, for me it has always been treated as a thorough-fare to a TL position, but there are several other PA's that have been at Target longer and have not received a promotion and more than likely will not, and again I believe that has a lot to do with my degree in addition to my leadership style. In regards to receiving credit rather than my team lead, even my team lead has contributed the growth of our department to me, including increase in Freshness scores and overall VIBE scores. My ETL has also attributed much of the credit to me, so I sincerely feel it all depends on the individual!

As someone mentioned about ETL's not being promoted from within, to my knowledge, all but one of the 8 ETL's at my store were promoted from within and actually began as TM's, so that really isn't a valid point. Again, I feel it all depends on the culture of the store, an individual's work ethic, and on top of all this, a person's desire and pursuance of promotions.

Your store may be different than most. I know that in my tenure with Spot, I have never seen a etl promoted from within ( ie from a team lead to etl etc) I have seen a tl promoted to srtl . Also, I will add that the other pa's who you say, haven't been promoted and likely will not , I really hope you don't say things like that around your team members. Maybe they don't want to be promoted...maybe they don't want the hassles etc.... I do hope all works out with your promotion.

Last edited:
Well, for an update, I am getting the Team Lead Promotion.

As people have been talking about the PA position, for me it has always been treated as a thorough-fare to a TL position, but there are several other PA's that have been at Target longer and have not received a promotion and more than likely will not, and again I believe that has a lot to do with my degree in addition to my leadership style. In regards to receiving credit rather than my team lead, even my team lead has contributed the growth of our department to me, including increase in Freshness scores and overall VIBE scores. My ETL has also attributed much of the credit to me, so I sincerely feel it all depends on the individual!

As someone mentioned about ETL's not being promoted from within, to my knowledge, all but one of the 8 ETL's at my store were promoted from within and actually began as TM's, so that really isn't a valid point. Again, I feel it all depends on the culture of the store, an individual's work ethic, and on top of all this, a person's desire and pursuance of promotions.

Congratulations.
I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
Have to say it's great that you got into one of the good stores, can't say how lucky you were.

One of the rules of The Break Room though is All Stores Are Not The Same.
Sadly, the percentage of good stores is probably running under a quarter.
Also, a good store can change suddenly if Spot decides to switch out management or there is a major change in management for whatever reason.
So please be careful about judging the folks here and their work ethics.

I apologize, didn't mean to judge people's ethics at all. I fully agree that it depends on the management of the store, and have heard horror stories of other stores. So again, i apologize.

I apologize, didn't mean to judge people's ethics at all. I fully agree that it depends on the management of the store, and have heard horror stories of other stores. So again, i apologize.

No worries, glad things are going good for you and hope they keep up.

From the sound of it , you work at one of the better run stores. When you have the backing of your team leaders/etls it makes all the difference in the world. I am sure you will do great in your new position

This happens all throughout the company - more so at some stores than others. Our district promoted at least 2-3 TLs to ETL a year. It's harder to accomplish it but possible. Some of those ETLs are more committed than outside hires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back