Archived Pulling and Hardlines Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I was just hired at target on Hardlines, and I've got a couple out questions before my first shift tomorrow. :)

1. My biggest question is, what is pulling/pushing, and how do you do it? I know pulling has to do with the backroom and pushing has to do with guest service, but other than that I'm clueless.

2. How do you learn where everything is? My trainer knew everything, even if it wasn't in her section of the store, and I know where almost nothing is and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of a customer by going "ummm I don't really know". Any tips or systems?

3. I just started school and I can't make it to work until 4:30 when in the summer I could work at 2:30. There's really no way for me to get there before 4:30 and I don't know what to do because I read on here that you really shouldn't change your availability until after 90 days, and even then it might not be great. What should I do?

4. If I can change it, how would I do that on ehr?

You may want to change your username if it is similar to your real name and store number... This site isn't affiliated with Target and is generally viewed negatively by corporate.

1. Pulling is done by the backroom team. They pull items out of locations in the back. Items that have sold throughout the day are automatically dropped into batches that the backroom team pulls at designated times to fill the salesfloor. They can also pull single items requested by TMs for guests.

2. You will figure it out eventually the more often you do your job. There isn't really any trick to it.

3. Didn't you tell them what your availability would be for the school year when you were hired? They should have asked you several times during the interview/hiring process.

4. Talk to HR. Best case scenario is they will be pretty annoyed with you but will change it. Worst case is they say no and force you to keep coming in late. I've heard of TMs being fired for lying about availability during the hiring process.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a few follow up questions if that's okay.

1. So if an item that a guest is asking for is out of stock on the shelves I can call back to the backroom on 2 with what I want and they'll bring it out to me? Or do I go get it myself?

3. I did but it totally slipped my mind that I didn't have any way of getting there, I can't drive and my mom who usually drives me just got a new job and can't pick me up until 4. After I get my license in a few months I can move back up to 2:30, it's just until then.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a few follow up questions if that's okay.

1. So if an item that a guest is asking for is out of stock on the shelves I can call back to the backroom on 2 with what I want and they'll bring it out to me? Or do I go get it myself?

3. I did but it totally slipped my mind that I didn't have any way of getting there, I can't drive and my mom who usually drives me just got a new job and can't pick me up until 4. After I get my license in a few months I can move back up to 2:30, it's just until then.
It depends on the store, but usually you will call back to the backroom and they will pull it and put it somewhere in the back for you to get it. They won't bring it out of the backroom unless it's for a cashier or guest services.

Last edited:
It depends on the store, but usually you will call back to the backroom and they will pull it and put it somewhere in the back for you to get it. They won't bring it out of the backroom unless it's for a cashier or guest services.
Okay thank you so much!

Don't worry too much about having to change your availability. Every minor at my store had to give us their updated back to school availability including those in 90 days. Future reference though, do it much earlier as we just released the schedule through September 17th.

I cross trained in hardlines and you will learn how to read DPCI numbers. You will also learn where things on the store simply based on familiarity. When a guest ask and you don't know, look with them, when you find it with a guest you won't forget it.

Don't worry too much about having to change your availability. Every minor at my store had to give us their updated back to school availability including those in 90 days. Future reference though, do it much earlier as we just released the schedule through September 17th.

I cross trained in hardlines and you will learn how to read DPCI numbers. You will also learn where things on the store simply based on familiarity. When a guest ask and you don't know, look with them, when you find it with a guest you won't forget it.
Okay, thanks for the advice :)

And if you are lucky enough to get a MyDevice you scan the item and it will tell you where it is located. Guests are usually understanding about you being new. Any questions just use your walkie and ask another TM.

The backroom at my store would die of laughter if I asked for help. They expect you to know what your looking for, where its located and how many. Part of me dies inside if i need equipment or team lift to pull from the back. Same goes if i have back stock after a pull.

@ZanyZoner, always walkie a backroom team member if you need an item pulled for a guest. We're scored on location accuracy, so don't pull or backstock anything unless you've been trained in the proper procedures for doing so.

The backroom at my store would die of laughter if I asked for help. They expect you to know what your looking for, where its located and how many. Part of me dies inside if i need equipment or team lift to pull from the back. Same goes if i have back stock after a pull.

Then you're definitely not at my store. My team may not always be happy about it because we're often busy with other things (see: massive 3:00 CAFs), but we'd prefer that you ask us for help instead of attempting to do it yourself and potentially causing errors. After all, it's our job.

It always bothers me when experienced TM'S look down on new ones. Let him get help now so he can learn, those same tms who will expect him to do it on his own then freak out if he doesn't do it right or puts something in the wrong place.

Can't have it both ways.

Yeah, if I get hired, I am the kind of person that will ask a TON of questions early on. I may start slow, preferring quality over quanity of work. I used to always focus on that, but learned that quantity will come the more experienced you get. I hope my team leaders/experienced co-workers don't mind me nagging them constantly in the beginning. ;)

Yeah, if I get hired, I am the kind of person that will ask a TON of questions early on. I may start slow, preferring quality over quanity of work. I used to always focus on that, but learned that quantity will come the more experienced you get. I hope my team leaders/experienced co-workers don't mind me nagging them constantly in the beginning. ;)

And if you are wise you can read people. Some people dont mind questions, some will resent you if you keep asking.

Lol I never take items to the lanes. GS can come back for it

Sure, you could do that if you feel like being an asshole.

You try telling all of the guests in line to wait a few minutes while you go get something from the back.
Well that's the guest fault for randomly wanting an item after they get in line. I only bring up flexs or STS. There's no way I'm going to jump outta backstock to bring up toothpaste that was located on both the floor and back but the guest couldn't find it.

The folks at the front end should always try to avoid leaving their area unattended. If the front end calls me for a guest pull, I'll bring it up to them (or if I can't, get someone else to bring it up front), but the sales floor TMs can come back for their stuff. It saves them the awkwardness of waiting with an impatient guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back