Archived Pushing Red Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
I am so very tired of having to ask EVERY guest EVERY time about getting a Red Card!!
We're having days with only five cashiers scheduled (all day) and we're supposed to get 10 RC a day.
The other day I asked 92 people about RCs before I FINALLY got one. Many guests just say "No" automatically....or say "No" after they hear "debit" and don't realize that you didn't say "CREDIT."

One issue I'm having is having to ask guests about RCs when I know that they already have one.

I have had at least four guests (in the past two weeks) tell me that they are tired of being asked about the RC. Most people are OK knowing that we have to ask, but what about the guests who've had enough with getting asked? Will they stop shopping as much? Will they go elsewhere?

OK....I know that there's really no answer for these questions other than for Target to get more money....but I am really getting tired of asking the same guests the same thing day after day after day!

At the store level we get numbers about how much of our sales is Red Cards by the week. Is there a way for stores to be able to find out how many guests pay with red cards? Or, how many transactions are Red Card transactions?

What I mean is, if we have 100 guests, can we discover how many of these guests used a Red Card? Suppose that there are 10 guests who pay with the Red Card, are we able to find out the number of transactions that are paid using a Red Card?

Or, suppose that there are 90 guests (out of 100) that pay with a Red Card.....then isn't our Red Card rate 90% of our guests? What % do we need to have before we can stop asking EVERY guest EVERY time?

What % do we need to be at before we know that we've saturated our market area??

Red Cards are really a great thing....especially as a debit card....but there has got to be a better way to get people to sign up for them.....besides just asking Do you want a Red Card?" or "Are you interested in getting a Red Card?" or "Have you heard about our Red Card?"

This past week, both of our GSTLs told me that if we don't start getting more Red Cards that they'll have to start writing us up. Our store Red Card applications are in the top 10 of our group rankings...as cashiers, we're getting pressured, I can't imagine how cashiers at stores who aren't "Green" are getting pressured.
I can't help it if I ask my guests and they say no. I'm trying different ways to ask about the Red Card, but my results aren't changing!

Sorry about the rant......but thanks for "listening."

Red Card conversion scores do take into account the number of Red Card sales (where a Red Card was used to pay). The problem that I run into a lot is that many guests already have a Red Card, but they don't want to use it (e.g. "I just paid it off" or "it's at home"). If guests aren't using their Red Cards, how does Spot know that they already have one? If a guest has one, they're obviously not going to open one (except the rare guest that wants to have both types).

Red Cards can be tough for those of us who are sales-challenged, but that's another story.

If they pay with a RedCard, I don't think that dings against you. Conversion seems to compare how many RedCard debit/credit prompts versus how many applications you've processed. If they use the RedCard, it doesn't count as a prompt because it shouldn't prompt.

I think there is also metric that counts for sales when guests use their RedCard, sometimes up on the board with all the survey scores.

Spot assumes that if they aren't using a RedCard, they don't have one. And if they are paying a large amount with cash/check/a non-RedCard debit/credit, then they should be signing up for it (insert big yellow prompt here). And some people who say they have one but don't want to use it, actually don't have one and are lying to you.

Pushing RedCards is unfortunately part of the workcenter. Each cashier has a conversion goal for this stuff and averaged together there is a store conversion goal. There is a sheet they usually have up that shows speed score and conversion score for anyone who touches a register. Cashiers normally have GSTLs who are breathing down their necks and GSTLs have ETLs/LODs breathing down their necks and ETLs have DTLs breathing down their necks about conversion, especially at the higher level where they are comparing stores in the district/region.

But if 90 out of 100 guests are using their RedCard, a GSTL will probably tell you that there is an opportunity in the 10 people that didn't use it. And unless every single purchase in the store is 100% through RedCards, they'll always keep making cashiers ask. They might have you ask anyway because there is a possibility someone without a RedCard will come through the store. People are always moving in and out of communities or they might be visiting. Asked 92 people and they said no? Ask guest #93 they might want one.

And yes, cashiers can get coached and eventually written up if they have zero RedCards week after week. It may depend on leadership in your store and how much they like your work, so results can vary.

On the other side, getting guests to sign up for RedCards when they legitimately do not have one is a salesperson game. Occasionally you'll get a guest that comes up to you that will want to sign up for one and specifically ask you. The rest of it is going to asking and possibly inconveniencing guests so that you can keep your performance up.

If all the people that get mad shopped elsewhere, then the only people left are people who are OK with you asking (but you know lol, they're going to be back in a week :lol:). But as long as they don't have one, that's just something they're going to have to get used to.

If they say "no" automatically, that's when you have to change how you pitch the RedCard. Some people expect you to be asking them if they want something extra and they will say "no" without even knowing what you are offering. Changing the way you ask or present the benefits can provide a difference. I think there were some older threads on the board that explained tips.

http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/366
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/823
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2009
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2086
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2437
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/3171

But in general, try to engage the guest when you begin ringing them up. If they're talking and paying attention to you, they're more likely to listen when you pitch the RedCard. Try avoiding words like "sign up", "apply" and "credit" until afterwards. If you must, say it is "free to sign up/apply". An example is "Would you like to save 5% today and every day?" You can also ask them if they have their RedCard and passively mention the benefit. Such as "Do you have your Target RedCard today? You'll save your 5% if you use it today!" If yes, "Great!" If no, "would you like to start saving 5% not only today, but every day you come in?" If they get mad, you weren't asking them to sign up, just reminding users of their discount. But always try to change it up so guests hear different things. They might hear the usual from other cashiers so you have to be unique in your approach.

If you can get their attention, make sure to also know the benefits, especially if they can benefit. 5% of a large purchase (estimate and give a dollar amount), getting 5% off and paying the CC off with the cash/debit card they were going to use at Guest Service, TCoE (try "a percent[age]", rather than "one percent") if they have kids, etc. Mention that they'd save "today and everyday", "every time they shop/use their RedCard" and the .com 5%/shipping and returns extension if they look like they might use it.

Mention the debit card if you see a check or if they pull out a checkbook. You want to start asking before they start paying and yellow prompts, because guests may be ready to go if they've already have their payment ready.

If they are worried about long lines or holding up other guests, try to assume them it will only take a minute and that other lanes will open up to help them. A good time to ask GSTL if they can help move guests to a different lane, especially if it is going to get a RedCard.

If they think they are going to be denied, tell them they should try anyway, Temporary Card or Further Processing is still a RedCard for your conversion. Although a credit check is not really good for their credit score, but don't mention that.

If they had one a long time ago, have them sign up for it anyway since their old account is probably closed.

I've heard stories of some aggressive stores asking a RedCard holder's spouse/family/kids/friends when they come as a group, or if asking for the opposite RedCard than they are using. But it's just more of the same sales stuff trying to get guests to buy more attachments and service plans in Electronics. But the Front End is more focused on RedCards and Guest Surveys.

That being said, I get tired of asking guests all the time too.

Edit: Whoops.

Last edited:
Change your pitch! It's obviously too similar to another cashiers, too generic, or otherwise not effective.

[video=youtube;vCadcBR95oU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU[/video]

I've done commission sales so in used to sneaking in ways to add more sales, accessories etc. I see it the same way with Target, the more red cards and sales I can push the more it can open up payroll. So while I may not see an immediate commission I push it for the benefit of the team members. I only backup cashier but I push red cards and attachments everytime I can on the sales floor too...hopefully it makes it easier for the front end.
When I'm cashiering I just always ask "will you be saving 5% today with your target red card?" As I ring them up....fast & easy :)

I think I read somewhere that fewer than 10% of the purchases made at Target are made with a Red Card and that the Red Card users spend 3x more than the guest who uses another form of payment. So it makes sense that Target pushes the Red Card. And it's a part of your job. The chance of getting a Red Card is practically nil if you don't ask. So just ask.

I am so very tired of having to ask EVERY guest EVERY time about getting a Red Card!!
We're having days with only five cashiers scheduled (all day) and we're supposed to get 10 RC a day.
The other day I asked 92 people about RCs before I FINALLY got one. Many guests just say "No" automatically....or say "No" after they hear "debit" and don't realize that you didn't say "CREDIT."

One issue I'm having is having to ask guests about RCs when I know that they already have one.

I have had at least four guests (in the past two weeks) tell me that they are tired of being asked about the RC. Most people are OK knowing that we have to ask, but what about the guests who've had enough with getting asked? Will they stop shopping as much? Will they go elsewhere?

OK....I know that there's really no answer for these questions other than for Target to get more money....but I am really getting tired of asking the same guests the same thing day after day after day!

At the store level we get numbers about how much of our sales is Red Cards by the week. Is there a way for stores to be able to find out how many guests pay with red cards? Or, how many transactions are Red Card transactions?

What I mean is, if we have 100 guests, can we discover how many of these guests used a Red Card? Suppose that there are 10 guests who pay with the Red Card, are we able to find out the number of transactions that are paid using a Red Card?

Or, suppose that there are 90 guests (out of 100) that pay with a Red Card.....then isn't our Red Card rate 90% of our guests? What % do we need to have before we can stop asking EVERY guest EVERY time?

What % do we need to be at before we know that we've saturated our market area??

Red Cards are really a great thing....especially as a debit card....but there has got to be a better way to get people to sign up for them.....besides just asking Do you want a Red Card?" or "Are you interested in getting a Red Card?" or "Have you heard about our Red Card?"

This past week, both of our GSTLs told me that if we don't start getting more Red Cards that they'll have to start writing us up. Our store Red Card applications are in the top 10 of our group rankings...as cashiers, we're getting pressured, I can't imagine how cashiers at stores who aren't "Green" are getting pressured.
I can't help it if I ask my guests and they say no. I'm trying different ways to ask about the Red Card, but my results aren't changing!

Sorry about the rant......but thanks for "listening."

Just put a smile on your face and wear that REDCARD t-shirt. That will most definitely get people interested. ;) psh! lol

I've done commission sales so in used to sneaking in ways to add more sales, accessories etc. I see it the same way with Target, the more red cards and sales I can push the more it can open up payroll. So while I may not see an immediate commission I push it for the benefit of the team members. I only backup cashier but I push red cards and attachments everytime I can on the sales floor too...hopefully it makes it easier for the front end.
When I'm cashiering I just always ask "will you be saving 5% today with your target red card?" As I ring them up....fast & easy :)

Haha, its funny because I usually pitch it the same way :)

Nepgear, great job!

I agree... all of that information is EXACTLY what i teach and train my team on! Hit all the main points and the best tips at selling them... I basically do the same thing but just push the debit card a bit harder and not so much the credit card! I have about 5000 transactions for the year and convert at a 12.5% :p

I agree... all of that information is EXACTLY what i teach and train my team on! Hit all the main points and the best tips at selling them... I basically do the same thing but just push the debit card a bit harder and not so much the credit card! I have about 5000 transactions for the year and convert at a 12.5% :p

5000 for the year??? Sounds like a GSTL :laugh4:!

More transactions usually means more prompts. And more prompts means more RedCards to keep up conversion. Guest Service TMs usually have wacky conversion scores because of it.

And the debit/check card is always good to push too. If they don't want the credit RedCard because of interest, APR, bills, "I don't want more credit cards", then you mention the check card and how it has none of those. And how it comes from the same place their check/debit takes out of and they can still get cash back (in case of debit cards).

The check card requires a blank check, which many guests wouldn't have at that particular time. But then you can also mention (if they have a debit card), that they can go straight to Guest Services and pay off the amount with cash/check/debit. Takes barely an extra minute, they get 5% off and they don't have to worry about paying off their bill.

Most importantly I think, you shouldn't ever beat yourself about RedCard performance as long as you try your best. There might be days you get only a few people to sign up and there might be days you don't get anyone to sign up at all. No one is expecting 10+ RedCards per TM each day (and if they do they are a huge tool :pardon:). But with persistence, consistence and a positive can-do attitude, you'll get one eventually. And that says you're trying and some of those days you'll get multiple guests to sign up. If you worry too much, you may start to sound like you're forced to ask guests about the RedCard, which isn't very engaging and guests will ignore that a lot. Being able to stay positive and relaxed is better for you in any situation, not only this one.

GSTLs will encourage and even pressure cashiers to ask every guest, even if it isn't "vibing" with guests, because they want cashiers to succeed. They don't want to have to coach or write up anyone on their performance. But if you don't ask, the guest will never know they can sign up for it at the register. You can go over with the GSTLs or other cashiers on tips and different ways to pitch the RedCard to guests. You're all working together as a team and I am sure would love to see everyone succeed.

:party:

Working at guest services, I've seen some of these Redcard balances. There is a reason some people have it but aren't using it!

5000 YTD? 1-11? pfft from jan to nov 2011 i had about 27k.... but my conversion rate was **** lol.

(I could probably dig all the actual #'s if none of you believe me..)

I know a lot of leaders talk about asking every guest if they want to sign up. I prefer to let guests know about the savings they can get by using a REDCard. If they say no, it's no big deal. If they're interested, let them know it only takes a couple of minutes to sign up. REDCards aren't hard to get. Don't worry about them. If you're engaging guests and having a genuine conversation with them, REDCards will come. If you're really just asking, "Do you want to sign up for a REDCard?' or "Want to save 5% with a REDCard?" every time, guests are going to get tired of that. Just be yourself and try to have a conversation with the guest and bring up the REDCard as a way they can save. In my experience, guests are more responsive to friendly cashiers than to ones that don't make a peep the entire time they're scanning and only talk at the end of the transaction to ask them to sign up for a REDCard.

And I'm aware that I sound like a corporate tool, but I've honestly been "vibing" with guests since day one, and that was four years ago...way before all this corporate buzzword fluff. It's like corporate really thinks this vibe stuff is going to "revolutionize the way we do business...jabberwocky."

(Please tell me there are other Better Off Ted fans here lol)

Rock, does your Guest Service team use Smart Sort? If yes, then you're an AMAZING (sorry) GSTL.

I would say 90% of the time they do... What alot of people may not realize is that up until this last year my store was a red focus store! I am fixing as much as I can in my 18 months, hammering out the last bit of smart sort isn't quite priority in comparison to the fact that before I came into role the store had a .75 conversion YTD :p

5000 YTD? 1-11? pfft from jan to nov 2011 i had about 27k.... but my conversion rate was **** lol.

(I could probably dig all the actual #'s if none of you believe me..)

Well 4 to 11... and I am a GSTL... Honestly, I shouldn't ever really be on a lane and my YTD should probably be a bit smaller than that! If your GSTL/GSA is always the first responder, then your store is not on best practice and my DTL would call it out as an opp on a visit if he caught it!

Hey everyone,

It is great to see such a great response to my rant about RedCards. I'll be spending some time checking thru the links that have been provided. Mostly, thank you all for being so supportive with your answers.....I appreciate it. It is nice to know that I'm not all alone.

I hate pushing red cards, when I first got hired on it wasn't a big issue but now they're making us ask every guest. Even at Food Avenue it's like would you like a red card when them fries? Is this a corporate thing or what?

Why don't they just make shoppers get the red card like they do at Sam's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back