Archived Qualms with supposed "policy" in relation to meal period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordcardboard

PhD in Boxology
Greetings everyone and I hope your day is going well. Needless to say I am currently a tm at target. Recently I had an issue with a fellow tm explain to me that I can not spend my lunch period in the Starbucks that is connected to the store. When I pushed back he explained that it was "target, not him" telling me this, insinuating that this is some sort of policy. To be frank I question the legality of this "policy," as my lunch period is unpaid and hence not company time, but my time, and therefore I can go wherever I damn well please in that time period. I would further add that I question whether or not this is in actuality at legitimate policy or just some sort of word of mouth policy that doesn't exist on paper. If anyone can give any insight into this matter that would be great, and once again I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

It varies by store, my old store didn't allow it but my current store doesn't care. I doubt there's any written rule about it, it's mostly to keep those chairs open for guests and not have them complaining about the employees taking them. In my experience if you just cover up your red shirt with a jacket or change shirts, no one tends to say anything.

Anyways our Sbux is the worst place to take breaks because it's really cramped and even hotter than the rest of the store because of all the windows. I sat up there a couple times when I was new and felt like I was flying Southwest what with 20 people packed into a 15x6 foot space

It varies by store, my old store didn't allow it but my current store doesn't care. I doubt there's any written rule about it, it's mostly to keep those chairs open for guests and not have them complaining about the employees taking them. In my experience if you just cover up your red shirt with a jacket or change shirts, no one tends to say anything.

I was indeed wearing a hoodie, plus all I was eating was just some almonds and chocolate milk

ASANTS, but it sounds like bs to me. When you’re off the clock you should be able to take your lunch at Starbucks if you want to, TMs eat at Starbucks/Food Ave at my store every day, break and lunch. Not to mention that the ETLs take the place over for their 30 minute “meeting” every morning...

The reasoning behind that is probably that Karen sees you chilling at Sbux and thinks WOW ALL THESE EMPLOYEES THAT COULD BE HELPING ME ARE JUST SITTING AROUND!!!
Exactly this, as if we’re always on the clock if we are in the building. I don’t get paid a salary.

ASANTS, but it sounds like bs to me. When you’re off the clock you should be able to take your lunch at Starbucks if you want to, TMs eat at Starbucks/Food Ave at my store every day, break and lunch. Not to mention that the ETLs take the place over for their 30 minute “meeting” every morning...

Our break room is too damn hot for me to try to eat in there. I’m not going to sweat and eat. If I wanted to do that, I’d go outside.

ASANTS

But correct. A lot of stores have their own set policy preventing TMs from eating in SB or FA. Its considered by guests to be a bad image of TMs sitting in SB/FA and not on the floor.

My stores pretty much said
- Go to the breakroom
- Go outside
- Put a jacket on and go shop
- Get your FA order and Go Away

ASANTS

But correct. A lot of stores have their own set policy preventing TMs from eating in SB or FA. Its considered by guests to be a bad image of TMs sitting in SB/FA and not on the floor.

Oh I see, it's a bad image to be seen doing normal human things like eat a sandwich or have a cup of coffee on breaks allowed by state labor law.

Furthermore as previously stated I had a hoodie on and as a rule of thumb I usually take off or obscure my red shirt on my lunches, so as far as any "guest" is concerned I don't work there. There is no difference between shopping with a hoodie on or sitting in Starbucks with a hoodie on imo.

You can further question the legality of this , by reaching out to Corporate and request to obtain written policy guidelines ,that govern the issue of acceptable places to partake lunch. Furthermore ,you can confirm this “hearsay”, by reaching out to your in store HR department in form of verbal inquiry as well as a written demand letter for said policy governing rules regarding acceptable locations for TMs to take lunch. Be sure to get a response in writing so you can really stick it to the TM who had issue with you taking lunch in sbux.
Edit:- 😳

Last edited:
If you still have Cafe (Food Avenue), hang out there. It's always dead. I bet the "heat-and-toss-in-30" robot behind the counter would appreciate the company.

The reasoning behind that is probably that Karen sees you chilling at Sbux and thinks WOW ALL THESE EMPLOYEES THAT COULD BE HELPING ME ARE JUST SITTING AROUND!!!
Where is the lie tho??? Lol

I usually take my 30s at Food Avenue and purposefully turn my back to the sales floor because when I used to face self checkout to see the mess (and an occasional glimpse at my crush in cosmetics 😍) guests would be like those inflatable arm flailing things at car dealerships trying to get me to come over because the SCO cashier moves slow with her cane. "Karen, please, I'm eating lunch here. Screw you."

And a few nights ago now that I turn my back to it, a guest had the audacity to come and tap me on the shoulder and ask if I "...could be more attentive to the needs of [your] customers {"ahem Guest**"} because need help... Kinda in a hurry here!"

I looked at her, said, "I'm on lunch and helping you could get me fired" and went back to reading the news. Gurl byyeeee.

I fought this in my 3rd store and won. Like OP said, I am not on company time, they are not paying me. If I want to buy a $6 cup of coffee I will drink it where I want. Its quiet, my name tag is off and I just zoned out. The GE told me it was against "policy". I asked to see "policy" of course it wasnt there. I called corp and asked. They said they don't want to give guests the wrong impression especially if the lanes get backed up. I responded I am not on the clock, I am not being paid, I do not have my name tag on. When I asked again he said it was "suggested" that you don't eat in STBX. If T was shelling out the money for my drink I would eat in the break room or my car but my money, my time, my choice

Since my store opened, the rule has been TMs can't take their breaks at SB. Although, we had a couple of STLs and an ETL which would have their morning leadership "coffee klatsch" at SB every morning. I don't mind the rule, it is the hypocrisy I couldn't condone.

You are off the clock so they can't tell you where you can go for lunch, say down the street for french onion soup in a bread bowl at Panera (I do wish we had them in Alaska).
However, the store can still tell you where you can go in the store.
It is their store and they can make the rules about it.
Even if they are ASANTS, even if they seem hypocritical and bullshit.

Last edited:
If you want to fight the enforcement of said policy...you can. Take it cautiously as some Execs take any excuse to performance a TM out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back