Archived Question about GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithtarget

datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
I was just curious, if I wanted to become a GSA, would I have to have a certain availability, like do GSA's get standard shifts, like GSTL's do where they'll have one from 7:30-3:30 and then one from 3:30 to close?

Depends on your store. We use to make people have open availability but now we have one full time gsa and 3 part time who have day or night time availability.

To be a GSA you need to work 22+ Hours/week I think (or 25 I cant remember). That is best practice anyway, could vary case by case.

If you want to become GSA you should expect to adjust your availability to meet Spot's need. I would ask your GSTL what you need to do to become GSA, they will tell you better than we can.

If you have more questions, use the search function. There have been about a million threads on this same topic with every question you can think of.

Okay so it's just something I should ask them then. Can I still do Guest Service and Cart shifts as a normal team member if I'm a GSA.

My thing is I've covered the front a few times and I sorta enjoy it and I've felt really burned out because I feel like they don't ever notice my hard work when I work and I'm always overlooked by management and it gets frustrating.

To answer your original question, it depends on your store. All of the GSAs at my store supplement their hours with guest services and cashier shifts. Some are also cross trained in other areas and get hours there as well.

As for your last post, expect any and all hard work as a GSA to go unnoticed (seems to be a theme around these boards). You can expect to be overlooked by management when things are going well. But as soon as things get rough, believe me, you will be noticed.

GSA is all work and zero recognition given.

I would say ask your GSTL what they expect. My GSA's have open availability and work almost 40hrs a week. I appreciate them very much so recognition is always coming their way. Things very between stores so best answer is to ask your GSTL!

Our gstl/gsa's work approx 38-40 hr shifts. They are often crabby because the front end rarely runs smoothly - between call outs and cashiers who want to leave early, registers breaking, not enough cashiers, etl's who think barking orders are going to make things run smoother.

GSAs at my store are never full time or consistent. They seem to get just as much variability in scheduling as cashiers do. Some weeks they get 18 hours, some weeks they get 40.

In the past, all but two of our GSAs would get 40 hours. Now, there aren't nearly enough hours for all seven of our GSAs to get scheduled full-time.

It's definitely something you want to talk to your GSTL or ELT-GE about. I've found that most stores are more than willing to work with a person (as far as availability) especially if it is a person who they think can go forward in the company. In fact, even if you aren't looking to continue in the company, go to them and say:

" I'm really looking to advance in Target and I want to be a GSA. However, I have scheduling issues right now and was wondering, if I apply for the open GSA position, is there any way it can be worked around? "The scheduling issues would only be until _____ and then I would have full availability."

Quick question about moving up to GSA from cashier: A GSA is a key carrier, and isn't there a $1 increase for key carriers? And then you would get the .50 pay increase too, right? So wouldn't it be a $1.50 salary increase?

Key carrier is for ETL's and Sr.TL's. Those keys are for the store doors, cash office vault numbers etc. The keys that GSTL/GSA carry are borrowed from clerical.

Quick question about moving up to GSA from cashier: A GSA is a key carrier, and isn't there a $1 increase for key carriers? And then you would get the .50 pay increase too, right? So wouldn't it be a $1.50 salary increase?

Nope. You only carry keys for the front end, not for the store. "Key Carrier" refers to someone who carries store keys.

The difference is "key carriers" take their keys home with them. Those are literally their keys. They have access to the building at all times.

Many other positions carry keys for specific doors in the building, but not the keys to the front doors, etc. which is what "key carrier" refers to.

GSA/GSTL do however pretty much have access to everything else, much more than most TL because their keys unlock the key box where all the standard keys go.

Your ETL-GE will determine the availability you need to have. I am one of two GSAs. I teach full time and thus only work part-time during the school year...about 15-20 hours per week. My boss is great and tries to keep my schedule as consistent as possible. I have my normal weekend rotation and usually close GSTL on Wednesday nights (I can't come in until 5:00 on weeknights so our Photo TM usually covers the gap from 3:30-5). I also get scheduled a closing service desk shift one other night per week. Our other GSA is full time and usually closes GSTL 4 nights per week with one 11-7 in Photo. Weekday opening shifts are split between our two GSTLs and our Food Ave TL who fills in as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back