Archived Question on Sick time/Hour cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the recent hour cuts, mine have been cut below 32 for the first time for me in 3 years (I know I am lucky, but it is hurting). Having not called in sick for 3 years, nor used vacation time (unless I was pretty much forced to). I asked if I could use my sick time to make up for my cut hours in the week. I was told, no.

I feel as someone who always shows up on time, and never calls in (and often makes up for the time those who do call in, do) it is my right to use that time, and keep my vacation for when, shit, I actually want a vacation. If anyone actually knows honestly that protocol I would like to know. As I see nothing stopping anyone from saying fuck it for a day, and using their sick time because, shit, it is capped.

I don't know "protocol" per say but I do know I as well have been hurting for hours and in turn used my sick time to "fluff" my hours. Just when filling out the form, in the reason section of the form, say "personal" and leave it at that.

Unfortunately sick time can only be used for illness, or medical appointments. It can not be used to 'make up' hours. We had team members trying to use sick pay for snow days and were told they could not.

With the recent hour cuts, mine have been cut below 32 for the first time for me in 3 years (I know I am lucky, but it is hurting). Having not called in sick for 3 years, nor used vacation time (unless I was pretty much forced to). I asked if I could use my sick time to make up for my cut hours in the week. I was told, no.

I feel as someone who always shows up on time, and never calls in (and often makes up for the time those who do call in, do) it is my right to use that time, and keep my vacation for when, shit, I actually want a vacation. If anyone actually knows honestly that protocol I would like to know. As I see nothing stopping anyone from saying fuck it for a day, and using their sick time because, shit, it is capped.

Funny, I just told HR this is the first time in my 2.5 years with Spot that I've been below 35 hours for more than a week. I've called out once and never been late. Hell, I worked a miserable shift as an FRO with a fever of 101 with my ETL begging me to stay later. So far, I've been scraping along by picking up a shift here and there and padding hours with my vacay time when I need to. The day I'm told I can't do this there's gonna be hell to pay. All that sick time I'll never use. Such a shame to let it go to waste.

Unfortunately sick time can only be used for illness, or medical appointments. It can not be used to 'make up' hours. We had team members trying to use sick pay for snow days and were told they could not.

Correct. Use your vacation and when you are sick folks stay home. That is what paid vacation is for. We have had so many TMS come in sick and cough everywhere spreading germs.

I went on a week-long trip using my sick hours last year. ASANTS

Correct. Use your vacation and when you are sick folks stay home. That is what paid vacation is for. We have had so many TMS come in sick and cough everywhere spreading germs.
Let's just say a lot of us have quite a few sick hours and Target is not very friendly when you are out sick. I've heard ETL's give a TM a hard time over the phone when they are calling out sick. I've even been thanked for coming in sick.

If you have sick time, it is because your state law requires it. Your state mandated that sick time to help protect you in case you fall ill. It isn't extra pay that you "earned to use whenever you please. No offense, but you should be grateful to even have that at all. The rest of us have to decide between going in to work while violently ill or using our tiny amount of vacation pay to make up the difference, instead of saving it for an actual vacation.

Last edited:
If you have sick time, it is because your state law requires it. Your state mandated that sick time to help protect you in case you fall ill. It isn't extra pay that you "earned to use whenever you please. No offense, but you should be grateful to even have that at all. The rest of us have to decide between going in to work while violently ill or using our tiny amount of vacation pay to make up the difference, instead of saving it for an actual vacation.

We are not given sick pay in my state. We accrue vacation time & personal time. In the last year or so they also gave us 4 wellness hours a year (to say have an annual physical exam) but you're not required to prove an appointment to use those. I just use my VT & PT that I have available when I am sick, take time off or need to pad a check due to low hours. Be aware that you are not allowed to add hours OVER your average hours (which I think is stupid) and that adding hours only pads your check those hours do not affect your average hours worked.

We are not given sick pay in my state. We accrue vacation time & personal time. In the last year or so they also gave us 4 wellness hours a year (to say have an annual physical exam) but you're not required to prove an appointment to use those. I just use my VT & PT that I have available when I am sick, take time off or need to pad a check due to low hours. Be aware that you are not allowed to add hours OVER your average hours (which I think is stupid) and that adding hours only pads your check those hours do not affect your average hours worked.
Most states don't require sick time, which was my point.

Yes I'm so thankful for all the sick hours they give us that we're not allowed to use.
If you're sick, use it. It's not meant to be extra pay that you can use whenever you want.

If you're sick, use it. It's not meant to be extra pay that you can use whenever you want.

It's supposed to be a benefit. But it's a benefit you cannot use as most people at my store have 60+ hours of sick. We have earned this time and will not be able to cash it in because good luck calling out 10+ days.

Yes I'm so thankful for all the sick hours they give us that we're not allowed to use.

I think that's my point. If you are sick use your sick time. They have no right to tell you that you can't.

I love my etl hr because she tells tms to ignore the passive aggressiveness of ETLs who try to make you feel bad for calling out.

I think that's my point. If you are sick use your sick time. They have no right to tell you that you can't.

I love my etl hr because she tells tms to ignore the passive aggressiveness of ETLs who try to make you feel bad for calling out.
Then Target needs to instruct their ETL's to not foster the passive aggressiveness of making people feel bad for calling in sick. A company I used to work for gave you PDO days that you could use either for illness or vacation. Target is pretty stingy with the allocation of vacation time. Most companies give you two weeks vacation after your first year.

Then Target needs to instruct their ETL's to not foster the passive aggressiveness of making people feel bad for calling in sick. A company I used to work for gave you PDO days that you could use either for illness or vacation. Target is pretty stingy with the allocation of vacation time. Most companies give you two weeks vacation after your first year.

Amen you are preaching to the choir. I think I am just saying you have to call the ETLS on their bluff because if they were in your position they would call out too.

It's shameful to have sick time you can't use since there is no payout when you quit.

Amen you are preaching to the choir. I think I am just saying you have to call the ETLS on their bluff because if they were in your position they would call out too.

It's shameful to have sick time you can't use since there is no payout when you quit.
I've noticed most of our ETL's come to work when they are sick. As I said in a previous post, I was once thanked for coming in sick.

I've noticed most of our ETL's come to work when they are sick. As I said in a previous post, I was once thanked for coming in sick.

I always thought Execs come to work when they are sick because they lose their compdays or have to come in an off day if they get another ETL when they switch with them

You were thanked for coming in sick but what do you have to show for it? I think it's sa mistake to come in sick if you have sick pay. Defeats the whole purpose of sick pay.

It's supposed to be a benefit. But it's a benefit you cannot use as most people at my store have 60+ hours of sick. We have earned this time and will not be able to cash it in because good luck calling out 10+ days.
You're acting as if this is a universal benefit that Target gives to all TMs out of the goodness of their heart, but it's not. You have sick time because your state or city requires it by law. It gives you peace of mind so if you do happen to get sick, you can still earn a regular paycheck. Depending on your sick time laws, Target may also be required to excuse absences covered by sick pay.

THIS^^

Wish I could like this post more than just once.

I get sick pay, and am using my vacation instead of an actual vacation, because of hour cuts. I feel as though I should be able to use sick pay (seeing as it is maxed having not called out in years).

If I ever quit I am going to call in and my reason being I have come down with a swollen case of "Sick Pay"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back